View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 104 of 132 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 1,031 to 1,040 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #1031
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    There's no consequence to heterosexuality being "learned behavior." Since heteronormative attraction is drilled into us from a young age, using your logic, homosexuals 'fail' to learn to like the opposite sex. Everyone else just went along with it as told and 'achieved' heterosexuality. The implications are completely different, which is why this thread isn't titled "Is *sexuality* a choice?" It's laughable that anyone would choose or learn homosexuality. You can argue with douglas as to why that is.
    The reason I answered the way I did was to remove the emotional aspect from the question. Human behavior is either voluntary or involuntary. All voluntary behavior requires a choice, the orientation doesn't matter.

  2. #1032
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by chromium View Post
    There's no consequence to heterosexuality being "learned behavior." Since heteronormative attraction is drilled into us from a young age, using your logic, homosexuals 'fail' to learn to like the opposite sex. Everyone else just went along with it as told and 'achieved' heterosexuality. The implications are completely different, which is why this thread isn't titled "Is *sexuality* a choice?" It's laughable that anyone would choose or learn homosexuality. You can argue with douglas as to why that is.
    heterosexuality is the default mode it has to be for the survival of the species any other behavior is either learned or a defect

  3. #1033
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    heterosexuality is the default mode it has to be for the survival of the species any other behavior is either learned or a defect
    Your assumption of "default" over "normative" has nothing to back it up. Both would still allow for survival of species.

  4. #1034
    Guru
    brothern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,177
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    heterosexuality is the default mode it has to be for the survival of the species any other behavior is either learned or a defect
    One might argue that homosexuality for males is the "default" given that all fetuses begin as physically female until the androgen kicks in to develop male characteristics.

    But, maquiscat also has a point.

  5. #1035
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Nonsense. Reality is homosexuals love committed lives every day. They work jobs, pay taxes, own homes, raise children, and contribute every bit as much as you and I. That's just a fact.

    Also, I laid out three points of rebuttal. You responded with more silliness. So, talk to me about rational until you make a rational case or even a rational response.
    No offense Boo, but it's quite apparent that you're far too personally involved in the issue of "homosexuality" to participate in a rational sensible discussion_

    I on the other hand have absolutely no dog in this fight and therefore am able to discuss the subject from a totally impersonal, unbiased and objective vantage point_

    Admittedly; in a more perfect world with fewer threats to our freedom and way of life, I might take a more personal stance based less on facts and more on emotions_
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  6. #1036
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    No offense Boo, but it's quite apparent that you're far too personally involved in the issue of "homosexuality" to participate in a rational sensible discussion_

    I on the other hand have absolutely no dog in this fight and therefore am able to discuss the subject from a totally impersonal, unbiased and objective vantage point_

    Admittedly; in a more perfect world with fewer threats to our freedom and way of life, I might take a more personal stance based less on facts and more on emotions_
    Well, I disagree about your position of personal and rational. there is nothing rational about you stating that you'd go with it if there wasn't a threat to your freedom. The only threat to freedom is in the terms of the homosexual, who doesn't have the freedom to marry who they love. And with no just cause I might add. Rationally, if there was a just cause, you'd have a point. but to deny freedom without just cause is a problem.

    Your freedom is not attacked in any way, and it is irrational to think it is.

    With no offense, what bothers me about your position is how irrational it is, regardless of the dogs you do or don't have.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1037
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Well, I disagree about your position of personal and rational. there is nothing rational about you stating that you'd go with it if there wasn't a threat to your freedom. The only threat to freedom is in the terms of the homosexual, who doesn't have the freedom to marry who they love. And with no just cause I might add. Rationally, if there was a just cause, you'd have a point. but to deny freedom without just cause is a problem.

    Your freedom is not attacked in any way, and it is irrational to think it is.

    With no offense, what bothers me about your position is how irrational it is, regardless of the dogs you do or don't have.
    You are either misrepresenting what I said, or have very badly misinterpreted it Boo_

    Maybe you should try reading again what I wrote, except a little more carefully this time_

    Cuz I'm certainly not going to waste time clarifying what appears crystal clear to my minds eye_
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  8. #1038
    User Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Last Seen
    10-09-13 @ 08:16 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    109

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    No offense Boo, but it's quite apparent that you're far too personally involved in the issue of "homosexuality" to participate in a rational sensible discussion_

    I on the other hand have absolutely no dog in this fight and therefore am able to discuss the subject from a totally impersonal, unbiased and objective vantage point_

    Admittedly; in a more perfect world with fewer threats to our freedom and way of life, I might take a more personal stance based less on facts and more on emotions_
    What she said is true. By personally involved, are you saying because they're LGBT (if they are, I'm not sure) they can't have an opinion on issues that directly impact them? So what stance do you on equality for LGBT Americans?

  9. #1039
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    You are either misrepresenting what I said, or have very badly misinterpreted it Boo_

    Maybe you should try reading again what I wrote, except a little more carefully this time_

    Cuz I'm certainly not going to waste time clarifying what appears crystal clear to my minds eye_
    I don't think so. Read what you said about freedom and your stance.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #1040
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,815

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    in GENERAL:

    practicing homosexual acts is a choice, just like practicing heterosexual acts is a choice
    but ones sexual orientation is NOT a choice
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •