View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 102 of 132 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #1011
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Sex is a voluntary act. All voluntary acts require a choice.
    The question in the thread title is referring to attraction, not the act. Attraction is not a choice.

  2. #1012
    Professor

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    11-27-17 @ 09:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,907

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beaudreaux View Post
    The question in the thread title is referring to attraction, not the act. Attraction is not a choice.
    Didn't see any such reference to attraction... never the less Attraction is with out a doubt learned behavior.

  3. #1013
    Preserve Protect Defend
    Beaudreaux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Covfefe, NC
    Last Seen
    12-14-17 @ 05:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,566

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by johndylan1 View Post
    Didn't see any such reference to attraction... never the less Attraction is with out a doubt learned behavior.
    Will you provide scientific evidence backing that statement?

  4. #1014
    Transcend~
    Empirica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Lost at Sea
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,662

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    We're not.

    It saddens me to read this type of ignorance in this age. But just a few things:

    1) normal is a meaningless term. Affairs can be said to be normal because they happen with enough frequency to be a norm. Not sure we want to do any thing because its the norm.

    2) it is natural as it happens in nature. So, you can't go too far down that rabbit hole either.

    3) Homosexuals just don't make up a large enough part of the population to fear us not making babies. Suggesting other wise is illogical enough to reference more than one fallacy.
    A very typical response from someone who has no rational argument with which to counter, because their entire belief system is rooted in political correctness which requires only the blind faith of the practitioner_

    This isn't about hate or fear but about cold hard reality and learning to cope_

    This is life Boo Radley__Don't expect it to conform to you__Deal with it!

    If you sincerely desire to be accepted by society, then you should ask for my advise!
    When a crime is ignored ~ it becomes flagrant;
    When a crime is rewarded ~ it becomes epidemic:

    No Amnesty No Exception

  5. #1015
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    A very typical response from someone who has no rational argument with which to counter, because their entire belief system is rooted in political correctness which requires only the blind faith of the practitioner_

    This isn't about hate or fear but about cold hard reality and learning to cope_

    This is life Boo Radley__Don't expect it to conform to you__Deal with it!

    If you sincerely desire to be accepted by society, then you should ask for my advise!
    Nonsense. Reality is homosexuals love committed lives every day. They work jobs, pay taxes, own homes, raise children, and contribute every bit as much as you and I. That's just a fact.

    Also, I laid out three points of rebuttal. You responded with more silliness. So, talk to me about rational until you make a rational case or even a rational response.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #1016
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    First off is there a point to the underscores at the end of each line? Is it the result of your computer, or browser or whatever device you are using?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    We are in total agreement here; although I suspect you did not intend us to be???
    It does not surprise me that it has occured. It is indeed an argument that can be applied both ways here.


    And I'll agree, if nature ever reveals a necessary or even beneficial homosexual contribution to the species_
    A lot of times I can make out what a person means. This one I can't. I believe that somewhere in the bolded area is where there are missing or wrong words.

    Homosexuals contribute nothing to the gene pool__they're born, they live, they die; they're inconsequential_
    Not true, or at least not entirely. First many homosexuals contribute to the gene pool, either directly, by being willing to engage in a physical activity that holds no attraction for them, or indirectly thorough IVO and other methods (the turkey baster method has been known to work ). Additionally, your argument would indicate that a sterile person is inconsequential as well as an individual who does not contribute to the gene pool. I think you might want to be a little more specific on those last two words as a person's status of consequential or inconsequential is actually irrelavant to whether or not the do or can contribute to the gene pool.

    Sex is a biological function of evolution for the purpose of reproduction and continuation of a species_
    Correction: Sex has a function for the reproduction and continuation of a species. Sex also has a function, in some species other than humans as well, as a pleasure activity. Neither function is dependant upon the other.

    A sexual attraction between a male and a female of child bearing age and same species is required_
    Hardly. There are plenty of homosexuals who raise children, and who even have children with members of the opposite gender in order to ....well, have children. Neither parent has a sexual attraction to the other.

    All sexual attractions other than that is a biological abnormality, most likely due to a psychological disorder_

    In case you hadn't noticed, I've been basing "normal" on scientific, evolutionary and biological realities_
    None that are noted by the mental health professionals and a majority of scientest in various fields related to this have noted otherwise.

    Reality doesn't care what you or I want, it is what nature and evolution has perfected over millions of years_

    And regardless how badly we want that reality to conform to our good intentions, it simply isn't going to comply_
    And we're right back to both agreeing on a statement, even while applying it in opposite directions.

  7. #1017
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Arlington, tx
    Last Seen
    10-08-13 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    362

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    This isn't about whether one is for or against gay marriage.....

    Simply vote and discuss whether you believe that homosexuals have a choice in the matter, or were simply born that way, with no choice whatsoever.

    Please be courteous - thanks in advance.

    Then if being gay is a choice would being straight be a choice as well!

  8. #1018
    Educator Grendel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-02-13 @ 01:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    704

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Empirica View Post
    And I'll agree, if nature ever reveals a necessary or even beneficial homosexual contribution to the species_

    Nature regularly makes mistakes and if it's a good mistake then it survives and contributes to the gene-pool_

    Homosexuals contribute nothing to the gene pool__they're born, they live, they die; they're inconsequential_

    Sex is a biological function of evolution for the purpose of reproduction and continuation of a species_
    Homosexuality has been around for as long as there is history, and clearly a lot longer. Yet it's still here. It hasn't been selected out, so there must be some benefit to it. By your very own reasoning, it's should have been eradicated with the first few generations of homosexuals, considering the evolutionary pressure against the gene propagating itself. If you want to say it has no value, then you're going to have to follow up with an explanation as to why it hasn't been selected out after all of these eons.

    Now, if genetics were as direct as one gene for each trait, then I would agree with you. The Gay Gene would have too little evolutionary pressure ensuring it's propagation. But genetics are rarely that straight forward. It's not at all impossible that homosexuality is tied to some other gene that is beneficial.

    For example: The most well accepted current research shows a very strong correlation between high testosterone levels in women (women have testosterone, just not very much of it) and their likelihood of having a gay son. The trick to it is that the same gene that causes the higher likelihood of having a gay son also causes them to be more likely to reproduce, and to reproduce more. If the gene causes, for example, a woman to have a 25% higher chance of having a gay son, but also causes her to have 30% more children, then the gene is beneficial and is selected for.

    I don't know if that's the cause, or one of the causes, or completely wrong, but it's a good demonstration of how a trait like homosexuality, which has a steep evolutionary cost, may yet be selected for because it is associated with another trait that offsets the evolutionary cost.

  9. #1019
    Educator
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-10-15 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    971

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    This isn't about whether one is for or against gay marriage.....

    Simply vote and discuss whether you believe that homosexuals have a choice in the matter, or were simply born that way, with no choice whatsoever.

    Please be courteous - thanks in advance.


    Those who argue that its not genetic so therefore it must be a choice miss important cases like people who have down syndrome. Down syndrome has been shown to not be heritable. I think homosexuality is Environmental ( hormonal disbalances, lack of essence nutrient and minerals, stress in utero). Though they are not to blame....

    Myths & Truths - National Down Syndrome Society
    Sometimes - history needs a push.
    Vladimir Lenin

  10. #1020
    Maquis Admiral
    maquiscat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    8,010

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by jag2594 View Post
    Those who argue that its not genetic so therefore it must be a choice miss important cases like people who have down syndrome. Down syndrome has been shown to not be heritable. I think homosexuality is Environmental ( hormonal disbalances, lack of essence nutrient and minerals, stress in utero). Though they are not to blame....

    Myths & Truths - National Down Syndrome Society
    That still indicates that homosexuality has only one base cause. Why can't it have several base causes with choice being among them (although I can't truly call a choice a "cause" but you know what I mean)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •