View Poll Results: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Voters
259. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    44 16.99%
  • No

    171 66.02%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    44 16.99%
Page 10 of 132 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 1318

Thread: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

  1. #91
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    I believe a small percentage of homosexuals might have been born gay. As for everyone else? It's a string of immoral choices that lead to their sexual preferences.
    How do you come to this? What empirical evidence do you have?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #92
    Basketball Nerd
    StillBallin75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vilseck, Germany
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 07:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    21,896

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    I believe a small percentage of homosexuals might have been born gay. As for everyone else? It's a string of immoral choices that lead to their sexual preferences.
    Yes, because most people would love to choose to be ostracized and ridiculed by the rest of society while being legally prevented from marrying those whom they love
    Nobody who wins a war indulges in a bifurcated definition of victory. War is a political act; victory and defeat have meaning only in political terms. A country incapable of achieving its political objectives at an acceptable cost is losing the war, regardless of battlefield events.

    Bifurcating victory (e.g. winning militarily, losing politically) is a useful salve for defeated armies. The "stab in the back" narrative helped take the sting out of failure for German generals after WWI and their American counterparts after Vietnam.

    All the same, it's nonsense. To paraphrase Vince Lombardi, show me a political loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    - Colonel Paul Yingling

  3. #93
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The West
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    The correct answer to this question is remembered, not discussed.

    First, I need to remember when I chose to be straight. If I manage to jar that memory loose, my answer will be yes. So until then...

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    Yes, because most people would love to choose to be ostracized and ridiculed by the rest of society while being legally prevented from marrying those whom they love
    If only homosexuals could see past their own perverseness ....

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    So the 40 year old virgin was asexual before he had sex? I don't think so. One's sexual orientation has nothing to do with who they have sex with and everything to do with who they are attracted to.

    I get where you are coming from--its just wrong. What you were taught is wrong. People were talk blacks were inferior, and that was just as wrong.
    Do you understand? Maybe, maybe not....

    What I'm saying is it's possible to be attracted to a certain person of a certain sex, yet HAVE NO DESIRE to have sex with said person. AND I'm tired of lies that the PC establishment sells to people. The bs kids are taught in schools, for instance. Oh, and what about the recent decision by the boy scouts of America? Laughable! From what I recall, I didn't know WHAT I was when I was in boy scouts - I was too busy being a KID! No wonder kids are leaving the boy scouts in large numbers these days....

    It's beyond stupid.... As long as you understand that 95% of what you have stored in your head is a flat out lie, then you understand me.... I'll go out on a limb and say you probably don't. Thanks anyway.

  6. #96
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    Do you understand? Maybe, maybe not....

    What I'm saying is it's possible to be attracted to a certain person of a certain sex, yet HAVE NO DESIRE to have sex with said person. I'm tired of lies that the PC establishment sells to people. The bs kids are taught in schools, for instance. Oh, and what about the recent decision by the boy scouts of America? Laughable! From what I recall, I didn't know WHAT I was when I was in boy scouts - I was too busy being a KID! No wonder kids are leaving the boy scouts in large numbers these days....

    It's beyond stupid.... As long as you understand that 95% of what you have stored in your head is a flat out lie, then you understand me.... I'll go out on a limb and say you probably don't. Thanks anyway.
    You are right, maybe or maybe not. Help me understand. Attraction, however, is not the same thing as "desire to have sex." And homosexuality is about attraction. I'll tell you something from experience. I'm gay, but when I was young I wanted nothing more than to be straight and normal like everyone else. When I found myself attracted to certain guys, I immediately did everything I could to avoid them, hoping it would make me straight. It didn't. I had a girlfriend for three years, hoping she would somehow change my attractions. She didn't. I prayed every night for God to make me straight. He didn't. So you bet I get the distinction. But never was I straight in those moments. I was always gay. The attraction was always there, no matter how unbelievably strong my desire was for it to go away forever.

    So now I've moved on. And you can say my head is full of lies, but the only lies I ever let in were the lies that I was somehow wrong. The lies that I was not really gay when I was all along. Is everything I believe true? Probably not. Hell, undoubtedly not. Which is why I've changed my political opinions more than once. I'm open to the fact that I am wrong and others are right. How about you? You seem so certain that 95% of what I have in my head is a lie (how'd you even get in there!?). How much stored in your head is a lie? How about you tell me those ideas since I can't read your mind and we can see who still clings to lies.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    You are right, maybe or maybe not. Help me understand. Attraction, however, is not the same thing as "desire to have sex." And homosexuality is about attraction. I'll tell you something from experience. I'm gay, but when I was young I wanted nothing more than to be straight and normal like everyone else. When I found myself attracted to certain guys, I immediately did everything I could to avoid them, hoping it would make me straight. It didn't. I had a girlfriend for three years, hoping she would somehow change my attractions. She didn't. I prayed every night for God to make me straight. He didn't. So you bet I get the distinction. But never was I straight in those moments. I was always gay. The attraction was always there, no matter how unbelievably strong my desire was for it to go away forever.

    So now I've moved on. And you can say my head is full of lies, but the only lies I ever let in were the lies that I was somehow wrong. The lies that I was not really gay when I was all along. Is everything I believe true? Probably not. Hell, undoubtedly not. Which is why I've changed my political opinions more than once. I'm open to the fact that I am wrong and others are right. How about you? You seem so certain that 95% of what I have in my head is a lie (how'd you even get in there!?). How much stored in your head is a lie? How about you tell me those ideas since I can't read your mind and we can see who still clings to lies.
    I didn't realize you were gay...

    Reading your post, I'm at a loss for words. AND now I realize something - I don't belong in this forum. I'm about to do something I should have done six years ago and that's ban myself.... Best of luck to you.

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Last Seen
    05-12-17 @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,151

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Hey mods, what do I have to do to get meself banned?

  9. #99
    Student
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Eastern USA
    Last Seen
    08-13-13 @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    166

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Yes it is a choice. This is my opinion as a heterosexual. The most frequent response is this...
    So, you chose to be straight?
    Yes. I did. And I continue to make that choice everyday. I could choose to be homosexual any day.
    How did you do that?
    Because I look at women, fantasize about them sexually/romantically, and I pay enough attention to them to fall in love with them. All the actions I have just described I can do also to men. But I choose not to. Let's say that in order to prove my point, I decide to become homosexual... tomorrow. I can start the process of that by doing the following...
    Looking at men. Fantasizing about them sexually. Paying enough attention and searching until I find one that has traits that I can live with for the rest of my life. There is no internal drive that will stop me from doing any of these things. My eyes aren't going to avert themselves. My mind can imagine anything I put to it- a two-headed elephant or a man's naked body touching mine. You can do it too. There is nothing in my mind that, by default, prevents me from imagining anything.

    As far as sexual arousal, that's the easiest part. Turn out the lights, relax your mind, and allow yourself to be touched. You habits and social programming may scream "No" but if you can relax, and of course you can train your mind to relax just like you can tolerate a colonoscopy without punching the doctor, then your mind will "listen" to the pleasure signals that the nerve endings in your skin are sending to your conscious mind. After all, the nerve endings send signals the same regardless of who is touching you. It's not like the nerve endings themselves say... "Whoa! Hold on, that is a man's appendage. Change the signal!" No. The skin doesn't know. Any averse reaction is the product of habit, social programming and identity, which are all temporary and changeable things.

    The next response I always get is....
    So you're bisexual?
    I'm saying we are all bisexuals. We just choose to live as heterosexuals or homosexuals at certain times, or even the whole time. Some people can identify as heterosexual in their teens, have hetero relationships, then years later change to homosexual and have strictly homosexual relationships. And again, years later, in their 40's or 50's, change back to heterosexual. Looking at the entire life span, you would say that person is bisexual. But for those periods of 10-20 years, he/she was either living as a heterosexual OR a homosexual.

    Any one can do this. Both love and sexual arousal/attraction are results of how much attention we pay to others. And there is no internal drive that limits how much attention or what kind of attention we pay.

    Well I've been gay all my life and no matter how hard I tried to be straight, I just couldn't do it.
    My response to that is you did not try hard enough, on a long enough timeline, nor do you open your mind to the possibility of being sexually aroused by a female's touch (allow the skin to send those signals to your conscious mind) nor to the possibility of paying enough attention to a particular woman's traits, and seeing the merits of spending more and more time with her, even falling in love. If you only pay attention to men, of course you will not find a woman you could romantically love. If you don't relax and open your mind to the pleasure, then of course your mind will filter out the signals her fingertips are sending to your central nervous system. "Ew! A woman is touching me! Stop it. I'm gay!"

  10. #100
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightrider View Post
    I didn't realize you were gay...

    Reading your post, I'm at a loss for words. AND now I realize something - I don't belong in this forum. I'm about to do something I should have done six years ago and that's ban myself.... Best of luck to you.
    Sure you belong here. If we didn't have disagreements this place wouldn't really have a purpose. But if you want to leave, that's your choice.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

Page 10 of 132 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •