View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All humans should be protected under the law.

    27 27.84%
  • No. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period.

    20 20.62%
  • No. Only homosexuals and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry.

    6 6.19%
  • I donít care what they do as long as they stay out of my business.

    34 35.05%
  • My catís name is Mittens.

    10 10.31%
Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273
Results 721 to 725 of 725

Thread: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

  1. #721
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by paddymcdougall View Post
    What does it matter how many people might claim to have talked to your god? Roguenuke's god is just as likely (or unlikely) as your god. As an atheist, I shake my head at people claiming somehow they have the "true" god and everyone else is wrong.

    At least Roguenuke doesn't try to push his/her belief on to other people. From the recent threads (admittedly I haven't read all the pages) it sounds like you are ok pushing your "truth" on to other people. But I might be misinterpreting.

    But to tell Roguenuke that their god doesn't exist while you claim yours does just based on the number of people who agree with you... sorry, you can't will a god into existence through sheer numbers.

    If I've misunderstood the arguments, I apologize. I also am not sure how they fit into this thread, but again, I didn't read through all the pages so they might.

    But saying your god is god and Roguenuke's isn't and thinking that proves anything... sorry, that doesn't hold any weight.
    Keep reading.

  2. #722
    User AristocraticRep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Naples, Florida
    Last Seen
    07-30-14 @ 05:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    52

    Re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    As long as the government recognizes legal family members (such as giving birth certificates and/or being involved in legal adoption), then they should too be involved in marriage. Churches nor any religion owns marriage.
    Of course they don't, my point was that everything in regard with marriage should be a matter of choice by the people, not being restricted or run by the government. I simply used churches as an example of who they could share their marriage with. To address the other part of your argument, being born is quite different than being married. It is necessary to have birth certificates to provide citizen status as well as to have a way to determine eligibility for certain programs. Government involvement is also necessary in legal adoption, to prevent kidnapping, adopting an illegal immigrant or other abuses of the system. However, the government should not have any say in who you love or how it is recognized, and that was my only point. I was not making a religious argument, or anything other than that simple one thought.
    "I think, therefore I am"- Rene Descartes
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad governments comes from too much government"- Thomas Jefferson
    "Faith: not wanting to know what is true."- Friedrich Nietzsche

  3. #723
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by AristocraticRep View Post
    Of course they don't, my point was that everything in regard with marriage should be a matter of choice by the people, not being restricted or run by the government. I simply used churches as an example of who they could share their marriage with. To address the other part of your argument, being born is quite different than being married. It is necessary to have birth certificates to provide citizen status as well as to have a way to determine eligibility for certain programs. Government involvement is also necessary in legal adoption, to prevent kidnapping, adopting an illegal immigrant or other abuses of the system. However, the government should not have any say in who you love or how it is recognized, and that was my only point. I was not making a religious argument, or anything other than that simple one thought.
    Marriage provides a way to gain citizenship status as well. And marriage protects not only the individual spouses within a marriage from each other, but also from other legal family members, such as parents and even children. Spouses are legally a person's closest relative and that comes with special recognition in the law.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #724
    Equal Opportunity Hater
    obvious Child's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    0.0, -2.3 on the Political Compass
    Last Seen
    12-09-14 @ 11:36 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,883

    Re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    There's no reason to. Only a bitter gay rights activist would ask such a thing.
    Then you reject the very premise of your claim that marriage is about creating and raising children.

    Thanks for admitting you are not only dishonest, but you will turn on your own claims.

    Because gays don't have the "other half" component that kids need for effective parenting. At least polygamists have that.
    Who says that you need a male and a female for effective parenting? Making stuff up as usual eh Dooble?
    "If your opponent is of choleric temperament, seek to irritate him." - Sun Tzu

  5. #725
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,023

    Re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    There's no reason to. Only a bitter gay rights activist would ask such a thing.

    Because gays don't have the "other half" component that kids need for effective parenting. At least polygamists have that.
    Well, that is just balony:

    Siegel, a School of Medicine professor of pediatrics, coauthored a report, published by the American Academy of Pediatrics the week before the court case, arguing that three decades of research concur that kids of gay parents are doing just fine.

    “Many studies have demonstrated that children’s well-being is affected much more by their relationships with their parents, their parents’ sense of competence and security, and the presence of social and economic support for the family than by the gender or the sexual orientation of their parents,”
    http://www.bu.edu/today/2013/gay-par...straight-ones/

    Also, loads of single parent families exist, your nonsense reasoning would also mean that any kid of a single parent family would not get "effective parenting". Having one pervert dad and 5 mothers does not mean that the kids have effective parenting.
    Last edited by Peter King; 08-12-13 at 02:49 AM. Reason: forgot to provide link of the quote
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •