View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All humans should be protected under the law.

    27 27.84%
  • No. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period.

    20 20.62%
  • No. Only homosexuals and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry.

    6 6.19%
  • I don’t care what they do as long as they stay out of my business.

    34 35.05%
  • My cat’s name is Mittens.

    10 10.31%
Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 725

Thread: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

  1. #61
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,444

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Should Plural Marriage be legalized too?
    If gay marriage is legalized, then there's no choice but to legalize plural marriage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #62
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    That would only make sense if we assume that the six “parents” are producing children at a rate that would otherwise only take two genuine parents to achieve; and this seems like a wildly unrealistic assumption.

    More realistic is that the six “parents” in this one “family” would collectively produce a similar number of children similar to that which would be produced by three normal families with two parents each. Each child may have three times as many “parents”, but would also be competing with three times as many “siblings” for the attention of these “parents”.
    I consider overpopulation to be an approaching issue, so this argument falls flat.

    And as to competition for attention. Nobody is "on" all the time. Not for a kid or a spouse. Other times everybody is extra "on", able to "be there" for the whole clan.

    Stress on parents is a known. Many hands make light work.

    Two can live as cheaply as one. How cheaply can six or twelve live.

    You're just being dismissive here.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  3. #63
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    let me throw something at you and see what you think.

    suppose a person could marry 10 people, and say that person had a good job, with health benefits, and in the marriage there are 22 children, this makes 33 people that the insurance company that the person works for woulds have to provide for.
    Contractual technicalities.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  4. #64
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Contractual technicalities.
    today we have people who will sell marriage to foreigners to get into the u.s.

    if plural marriages were to take place you would have people selling marriage for........ benefits...IE ..healthcare would be the main one.

  5. #65
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    The legal nightmare it would present, as well as societal standards and customs.
    If this is valid, then it is a valid argument against SSM as well.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #66
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    today we have people who will sell marriage to foreigners to get into the u.s.

    if plural marriages were to take place you would have people selling marriage for........ benefits...IE ..healthcare would be the main one.
    So you're down for the state telling you how to live your life.

    Got it.
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

  7. #67
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    So you're down for the state telling you how to live your life.

    Got it.
    well no, i am down with a comapny telling you their not going to cover you because you have to many people and trying to load the benefit roster.

  8. #68
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by molten_dragon View Post
    No. It's too much effort for not enough gain. Changing marriage laws to accommodate multiple marriages would cost a lot of money, and not many people would take advantage.

    I'm fine with letting people draft their own 'marriage' contracts among multiple partners, dealing with custody of children, power of attorney, next of kin, disposition of property, etc and recognizing them as legal though.

    Can't really vote in the poll because none of the options fit my views. And our cat's name isn't mittens.
    I prefer simplicity myself, but this is not, in and of itself, enough of a valid argument to deny otherwise peaceful people being allowed to live their lives as they see fit. Yes, there would be some legal complexities, but they could be addressed.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #69
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,612

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    No.

    It is not possible for two men to be married. By definition, marriage has always been, is, and will always be a union between a man and a woman. It is the basis of every stable human society that ever has or ever will exist.

    My concern is over the severe damage that will unavoidably be done to our society, and to everyone in it, if we are forced to accept a sick, vulgar mockery of marriage as being in any way comparable to the real thing. Our society can only be as stable as its foundation. If we make our foundation out of garbage, then that is what our society will become.
    Knock, knock.
    Who's there?
    Gay marriage.

    What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]-gay-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  10. #70
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12,444
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well no, i am down with a comapny telling you their not going to cover you because you have to many people and trying to load the benefit roster.
    Well I think employer provided healthcare AND for profit "insurance" are stupid ways to deliver healthcare.

    How about we actually solve the problem of delivering healthcare and let people live their loves as they see fit.

    (That's a typo, but I'm leavin it)
    Anyone wondering what I'm talking about start here:
    The Psychology of Persuasion

Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •