View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All humans should be protected under the law.

    27 27.84%
  • No. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period.

    20 20.62%
  • No. Only homosexuals and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry.

    6 6.19%
  • I donít care what they do as long as they stay out of my business.

    34 35.05%
  • My catís name is Mittens.

    10 10.31%
Page 68 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast
Results 671 to 680 of 725

Thread: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

  1. #671
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Irrelevant. You're talking about something that has nothing to do with my argument.
    You referenced Sodom and Gomorrah in your arguments several times. It obviously has something to do with your argument. If you have since changed your mind, then it looks like we're making progress.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #672
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    You referenced Sodom and Gomorrah in your arguments several times. It obviously has something to do with your argument. If you have since changed your mind, then it looks like we're making progress.
    Please stop typing. Take five minutes, grab a snack, and then settle in for a nice read. I'm not responding again until you can converse intelligently on how and why I referenced Sodom and Gomorrah.

  3. #673
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Please stop typing. Take five minutes, grab a snack, and then settle in for a nice read. I'm not responding again until you can converse intelligently on how and why I referenced Sodom and Gomorrah.
    Why you referenced Sodom and Gomorrah is easy, you believe that Sodom (and Gomorrah by extension) was destroyed because of homosexuality. You are wrong, even just using the Bible. The Bible never says this and even believing it is from the one part of the story itself that talks about homosexuality at all is stupid because it is not talking about consensual same sex relationships at all but rather attempted rape that is part of a display of power/humiliation over visitors to the city. Even in the NT, it says that S&G were destroyed because of greed, inhospitality toward guests (attempted rape would be pretty inhospitable and have nothing at all to do with homosexuality, same sex attractions, nor same sex marriage), and arrogance. God never once says that they were destroyed at all in connection with same sex marriage, same sex attractions, same sex sexual activities, nor homosexuality. That is something the Christian (and Islamic) religion came to believe (and quite recently in fact) because of men in the church misinterpreting (majorly) what they read. The religion that had the story first, Judaism, scoffs at the belief that Sodom or Gomorrah were destroyed due to homosexuality or same sex relationships.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #674
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why you referenced Sodom and Gomorrah is easy, you believe that Sodom (and Gomorrah by extension) was destroyed because of homosexuality.
    Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because of sin. Homosexuality was only part of it.

  5. #675
    Advisor douglas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-29-16 @ 03:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    458

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because of sin. Homosexuality was only part of it.
    I can't remember the name, but I remember a Biblical scholar putting it like this; Christians claiming Sodom and Gomorrah is a story about Homosexuality is just like thinking a story about an Axe Murderer is a story about an Axe.

  6. #676
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    I can't remember the name, but I remember a Biblical scholar putting it like this; Christians claiming Sodom and Gomorrah is a story about Homosexuality is just like thinking a story about an Axe Murderer is a story about an Axe.
    It's a good point. Anyone who thinks S&G was solely about homosexuality is a sinner, himself.

  7. #677
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    08-15-13 @ 01:41 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,034

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Should Plural Marriage be legalized too?
    I could not pick any of the options given in the OP... here's why:

    I would like to say that to all those who think this would be a grand idea... read the book "The Moral Animal: Why We Are, the Way We Are: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology" first.

    Contrary to what most people may believe, evolutionarily speaking, the institution of marriage between 1 man and 1 woman actually benefits men more than women. Most men believe that polygamy would be better for men because men are "horn dogs" and all they want is tons of women for themselves. However, if polygamy were the socially appropriate mating style, men would loose on the deal. Here is why:

    First here are a few facts:

    1.) Woman are much more likely to be a biological parent than are men. How can this be you may ask? Its simple, look at the next fact:
    2.) Men and woman both often have multiple sexual partners.
    3.) Woman can be absolutely sure that the child(ren) they care for are their own. Men do not have that certainty. If a woman has unprotected sex with more than one man (especially during ovulation) she will have a child that is most certainly her own. However, a man can have unprotected sex with as many women as he wants and is not guaranteed to father a child (biologically at least). Therefore, monogamy protects men from providing resources to children that aren't his own. A woman does not have to worry about this since if it comes out of her womb it is most likely her own.
    4.) In world where highly disproportionate amounts of resources are dispersed between individuals, i.e. only a few people hold all the wealth, if polygamy and or Polyandry were socially appropriate and it where the norm, it is likely that harems would emerge. This would be bad for most men on all fronts (evolutionarily at least). In the case of polygamy, there would only be a few happy men and many unhappy men because most of the men with the most money would have wives, leaving no wife for the poorer men. This would be a recipe for disaster, since studies have shown that men are married or partnered have fewer problems and are generally happier. Indeed, a chemical is released in the male that has calming effects; it also decreases testosterone in the male. The case of polyandry is obvious since only one man of the many, could father (biologically) a child. Essentially, not only would polygamy and or Polyandry be bad for most males, it would likely be bad for society since there would likely be more aggressive crimes etc.
    It should be noted that most women would reply to this argument by saying that women would never go for it... however, in a world where one individual's income could provide for 100's of wives, its not inconceivable. Indeed, if the social stigma against polygamy and or polyandry were removed, there wouldn't be much from preventing this from happening on a large scale. Sure, the wives would be jealous of the other wives, but evolutionarily speaking, the increase in resources would overrule that jealousy.

    Does this mean it should be illegal? To me, given the above evidence, I don't see the point in injecting more suffering into the world. So I vote that it should remain illegal. Lets not legally endorse something that will likely cause more harm than good.

    So, I suppose none of the options given in the OP apply, since this is really about what is best for society... not what is best for certain lifestyle choices.
    Last edited by MusicAdventurer; 07-17-13 at 12:39 AM.

  8. #678
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because of sin. Homosexuality was only part of it.
    Not according to the Bible itself nor any of the actual stories about Sodom and Gomorrah.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #679
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not according to the Bible itself nor any of the actual stories about Sodom and Gomorrah.
    The Bible is replete with references to S&G's wickedness. Now, I understand that you're an atheist and are unable to grasp the spiritual nuances of the Bible, but the scriptures do state that God overthrew these cities (Jeremiah 50:40) so even a leftist like you can't dispute what's stated in black and white. Now, I'm guessing that you will dispute this anyways, which leads me to believe that you are more interested in lingering contention than you are anything else. So at this point I can only give advice. And my advice to you is stay out of the Bible when I'm around. You'll only get corrected.
    Last edited by Dooble; 07-17-13 at 11:50 AM.

  10. #680
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    The OT is replete with references to S&G's wickedness. Now, I understand that you're an atheist and are unable to grasp the spiritual nuances of the Bible, but the scriptures do state that God overthrew these cities (Jeremiah 50:40) so even a leftist like you can't dispute what's stated in black and white. Now, I know that you will try, which leads me to believe that you're more interested in lingering contention than anything else. My advice to you is stay out of the Bible when I'm around. You'll only get corrected.
    None of which say anything about homosexuality. None of the stories passed down in Judaism mention homosexuals or same sex relationships occurring in Sodom, nor that this was ever a reason for God's wrath.

    I'm not an atheist. I believe in God. I just don't believe in the Bible, the Koran, the Torah, or any other holy book because they are all written by men, not God.

    You are very uneducated and illogical in your translations of the Bible that you tout to know so well.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 68 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18586667686970 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •