View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All humans should be protected under the law.

    27 27.84%
  • No. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period.

    20 20.62%
  • No. Only homosexuals and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry.

    6 6.19%
  • I donít care what they do as long as they stay out of my business.

    34 35.05%
  • My catís name is Mittens.

    10 10.31%
Page 27 of 73 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 725

Thread: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

  1. #261
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    How would they even know if people didn't have to have marriage licenses. Who would require proof of age and make sure it's legit?
    How do we currently handle pedophiles? Come on...

    Oh, if the State were not involved with licensing how consenting adults live and then bestowing benefits, why would anyone care?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    How do we currently handle pedophiles? Come on...

    Oh, if the State were not involved with licensing how consenting adults live and then bestowing benefits, why would anyone care?
    We can only handle them when we KNOW about them. That is the problem with what you are proposing.

    Personally, I'm not even married. I couldn't care less about the benefits. I DO, however, think that licensing is an important measure.

  3. #263
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    We can only handle them when we KNOW about them. That is the problem with what you are proposing.
    Chris, we have laws against abusing children. We do not need a State issued license to regulate the behavior of nor bestow benefits to the activities of consenting adults living or sexual arrangements...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  4. #264
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Chris, we have laws against abusing children. We do not need a State issued license to regulate the behavior of nor bestow benefits to the activities of consenting adults living or sexual arrangements...
    Well I disagree. I think marriage licenses are important to make sure people are not marrying children. That is one step for prevention of such things before the act actually occurs.

  5. #265
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well I disagree. I think marriage licenses are important to make sure people are not marrying children. That is one step for prevention of such things before the act actually occurs.
    Is there a portion of consenting ADULTS with which you're in disagreement? There are already regular, societal laws protecting minors from abuse...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #266
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Is there a portion of consenting ADULTS with which you're in disagreement? There are already regular, societal laws protecting minors from abuse...
    The requirement of a marriage license can prevent a person from marrying a minor. What is your issue with that and what is difficult to understand about that?

  7. #267
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    The requirement of a marriage license can prevent a person from marrying a minor. What is your issue with that and what is difficult to understand about that?
    Can a minor legally provide consent? Is a minor a consenting Adult? The answer to both is NO...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  8. #268
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Can a minor legally provide consent? Is a minor a consenting Adult? The answer to both is NO...
    Yes but if there is no requirement for a license then any adult could marry a minor and there is nothing to prevent them from doing that unless someone turns them in.

    Are you saying you don't believe that would happen?

  9. #269
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Yes but if there is no requirement for a license then any adult could marry a minor and there is nothing to prevent them from doing that unless someone turns them in.

    Are you saying you don't believe that would happen?
    Chris, you're being a bit obtuse IMV. How many times does it have to be stated that minors cannot legally provide consent? Now, if you would like to go after the parents or guardians who might attempt to enter into an arrangement on a child's behalf, the we can talk about the consequences they should face...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Isn't that essentially what a marriage license is? It's just specific to marriage. At least that's what I always thought of a marriage license.
    They can't enter into a contract nor can they provide consent, so why would a marriage license be needed?

Page 27 of 73 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •