View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All humans should be protected under the law.

    27 27.84%
  • No. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period.

    20 20.62%
  • No. Only homosexuals and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry.

    6 6.19%
  • I don’t care what they do as long as they stay out of my business.

    34 35.05%
  • My cat’s name is Mittens.

    10 10.31%
Page 21 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 725

Thread: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

  1. #201
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Going along with Zyphlin's questions, if a man has three wives and each wife has two other husbands, how would they work out filing their taxes? In order to file joint with each, they would have to file taxes at least three times. But then how would their taxes be calculated? What if they had to pay with two but got a refund with the other? These are legitimate questions. And they are not covered in any way by current tax laws because marriage functions around a person only having one spouse.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #202
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Incorrectly, and offensive to genuine Mormons.

    Okay. What is the correct terminology for these groups then?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #203
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Slippery slope arguments are logical fallacies. As are false equivalencies.

    Lots of so-called "logical fallacies" are, IMHO, horse apples.


    You say "slippery slope fallacy". I say "Established Precedent"... precedent has considerable mojo in findings of law.


    And "slippery slope fallacy" never applies if someone is pushing.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  4. #204
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Please stop referring to these freaks as “Mormons”. They are not Mormons, and referring to them in that manner is offensive to genuine Mormons who have nothing to do with them.

    Polygamist Sects Are Not
    I said "extremist" Mormons. Please stop misrepresenting what I stated.

  5. #205
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I said "extremist" Mormons. Please stop misrepresenting what I stated.
    What is an extremist Mormon?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  6. #206
    Professor
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    07-02-13 @ 12:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    1,651

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Blaylock View Post
    Unlike “gay marriage”, plural marriage meets the definition and the purpose of genuine marriage; as a union between a man and a woman for the purpose of creating a family, in which to raise any children which may be the product of that union. It is certainly hypocritical of anyone to want to force society to accept the vile mockery of “gay marriage”, while opposing plural marriage.

    Plural marriage, though not quite in keeping with modern accepted conventions, is a way to form a genuine family; while “gay marriage” serves no purpose other than to degrade and attack the family as the basis of society, and to undermine society a a whole.
    God bless your gay children

  7. #207
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    What is an extremist Mormon?
    Never heard of Warren Jeffs, leader of a polygamist Mormon church in Utah? Yes, the Latter Day Saints are a branch of the Mormon religion.

    Warren Jeffs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Warren Steed Jeffs (born December 3, 1955) is the president of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS Church).[a] In 2011, Jeffs was convicted of two felony counts of child sexual assault.[5]
    Jeffs gained international notoriety in May 2006 when he was placed on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution on Utah state charges related to his alleged arrangement of illegal marriages between his adult male followers and underage girls. He was arrested in August 2006 in Nevada, and agreed to be taken to Utah for trial. In May and July 2007 the State of Arizona charged him with eight additional counts, including sexual conduct with minors and incest, in two separate cases.[6]
    His Utah trial, which began in early September 2007 in St. George, Utah, lasted less than a month, and on September 25 he was convicted of two counts of rape as an accomplice.[7] On November 20, 2007, he was sentenced to imprisonment for 10 years to life and began serving his sentence at the Utah State Prison. However, the conviction was overturned by the Utah Supreme Court on July 27, 2010, because of incorrect jury instructions.[8]
    He was extradited to Texas, where he was found guilty of sexual assault and aggravated sexual assault of children in connection with a raid of an FLDS owned and occupied West Texas ranch in 2008.[9] After the jury had deliberated for less than 30 minutes, 55-year-old Jeffs was sentenced to life in prison plus 20 years and a $10,000 fine, to be served consecutively, for sexual assault of both 12 and 15-year-old girls.[10]

  8. #208
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Never heard of Warren Jeffs, leader of a polygamist Mormon church in Utah? Yes, the Latter Day Saints are a branch of the Mormon religion.

    Warren Jeffs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Warren Steed Jeffs (born December 3, 1955) is the president of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (FLDS Church).[a] In 2011, Jeffs was convicted of two felony counts of child sexual assault.[5]
    Jeffs gained international notoriety in May 2006 when he was placed on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution on Utah state charges related to his alleged arrangement of illegal marriages between his adult male followers and underage girls. He was arrested in August 2006 in Nevada, and agreed to be taken to Utah for trial. In May and July 2007 the State of Arizona charged him with eight additional counts, including sexual conduct with minors and incest, in two separate cases.[6]
    His Utah trial, which began in early September 2007 in St. George, Utah, lasted less than a month, and on September 25 he was convicted of two counts of rape as an accomplice.[7] On November 20, 2007, he was sentenced to imprisonment for 10 years to life and began serving his sentence at the Utah State Prison. However, the conviction was overturned by the Utah Supreme Court on July 27, 2010, because of incorrect jury instructions.[8]
    He was extradited to Texas, where he was found guilty of sexual assault and aggravated sexual assault of children in connection with a raid of an FLDS owned and occupied West Texas ranch in 2008.[9] After the jury had deliberated for less than 30 minutes, 55-year-old Jeffs was sentenced to life in prison plus 20 years and a $10,000 fine, to be served consecutively, for sexual assault of both 12 and 15-year-old girls.[10]
    What does his actions have to do with the topic which is, why not polygamy among consenting adults?
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #209
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    What does his actions have to do with the topic which is, why not polygamy among consenting adults?
    Because other people were saying that polygamy invites child molestation. I said they are thinking of the cases of extremist Mormons. Got a problem with that?

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Here in SD we see it in Native American communities, too. Their tribes have always practiced polygamy. It's died down a lot since we blue-eyed devils "stole their land", but I'll look for stats later this evening.

    The thing is, you're assuming those in polygamist marriages are 1. consenting, and 2. adults. They frequently are neither, and before you say "then that's illegal" understand that the Lakota and Suix Nations are actual sovereign nations within the US with their own set of laws, courts and law-enforcement structure. State LEOs can only enter tribal land under very limited conditions and routine enforcement of civil law isn't it. Short of a Federal warrant, a State LEO has to be actively cashing a murderer or similar, and even then still has to stop the pursuit when ordered by the tribal police. Sanctioning polygamy typically results in families selling young daughters in pre-arranged marriages.

    Opposition to polygamy has nothing to do with consenting adults.
    The two statements in bold kind of contradict one another, don't you think?

Page 21 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •