View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All humans should be protected under the law.

    27 27.84%
  • No. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period.

    20 20.62%
  • No. Only homosexuals and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry.

    6 6.19%
  • I don’t care what they do as long as they stay out of my business.

    34 35.05%
  • My cat’s name is Mittens.

    10 10.31%
Page 19 of 73 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 725

Thread: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

  1. #181
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Of course. Why shouldn't consenting adults be able to marry multiple partners if they want? All of you are just thinking of situations such as have occurred within the extremist Mormon community and you are applying it to ALL polygamist marriages.
    Here in SD we see it in Native American communities, too. Their tribes have always practiced polygamy. It's died down a lot since we blue-eyed devils "stole their land", but I'll look for stats later this evening.

    The thing is, you're assuming those in polygamist marriages are 1. consenting, and 2. adults. They frequently are neither, and before you say "then that's illegal" understand that the Lakota and Suix Nations are actual sovereign nations within the US with their own set of laws, courts and law-enforcement structure. State LEOs can only enter tribal land under very limited conditions and routine enforcement of civil law isn't it. Short of a Federal warrant, a State LEO has to be actively cashing a murderer or similar, and even then still has to stop the pursuit when ordered by the tribal police. Sanctioning polygamy typically results in families selling young daughters in pre-arranged marriages.

    Opposition to polygamy has nothing to do with consenting adults.
    Last edited by Jerry; 06-24-13 at 01:54 PM.

  2. #182
    Advisor csense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    NE Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    329

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Bull****. The reason mixed sex marriage is two is irrelevant
    I see. Since you can't refute what I said, it has now become irrelevant. Typical Liberal.




    It is very much a slippery slope argument since it is a different legal and moral and logical argument from SSM and from mixed sex marriage.
    Your moral argument has no basis since Polygamy introduces no new element that isn't already contained within SSM and traditional marriage. The same is true for your legal argument. Multiple wives, multiple husbands, multiple mothers and multiple fathers. Polygamy adds no new element.

    As for your logical argument...well, you have no logical argument.

  3. #183
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    07-16-13 @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,568

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Here in SD we see it in Native American communities, too. Their tribes have always practiced polygamy. It's died down a lot since we blue-eyed devils "stole their land", but I'll look for stats later this evening.

    The thing is, you're assuming those in polygamist marriages are 1. consenting, and 2. adults. They frequently are neither, and before you say "then that's illegal" understand that the Lakota and Suix Nations are actual sovereign nations within the US with their own set of laws, courts and law-enforcement structure. State LEOs can only enter tribal land under very limited conditions and routine enforcement of civil law isn't it. Short of a Federal warrant, a State LEO has to be actively cashing a murderer or similar, and even then still has to stop the pursuit when ordered by the tribal police. Sanctioning polygamy typically results in families selling young daughters in pre-arranged marriages.

    Opposition to polygamy has nothing to do with consenting adults.
    We dont really want religious liberty here. They should live how we tell them to.

  4. #184
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    I think the problem is that those who try to compare restrictions based on sex/gender to restrictions based on numbers in a relationship fail to realize that it is not about what the argument is for why people should be allowed to marry, but rather what the state's argument is for what state interest is being furthered in those specific restrictions. They are different, no matter what you want to deny. No lawyer would ever argue that restrictions on marriage based on sex/gender are because of religious beliefs or tradition or even because of a slippery slope alone. Those may be tangential arguments used, but the main argument will be about what the main state interest is being furthered by the restriction. In the case of restrictions based on sex/gender, it is being argued that this furthers the state interest of procreation. It is a shallow argument at best. Those arguments for why restrictions are in place on number of spouses are very different, and include many different reasons (most of which have been brought up here). It may come when the SCOTUS decides those interests are not good enough, but it will still be a battle based on those specific interests and whether or not the Court feels that those are valid interests of the state and for maintaining those restrictions.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #185
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Minnesota
    Last Seen
    08-09-15 @ 03:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    46

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Should Plural Marriage be legalized too?
    In short, no. The legal institution of marriage is a contract of two individuals, in that contract various responsibilities and benefits are shared between the two individuals. To allow more than two individuals to enter the same contract would be damningly complex.

    On the other hand, I do think that polygamy should probably be decriminalized in the sense that if a guy wants to have marriage ceremony in his church and add multiple wives, or vice versa, and say that they all are married in the eyes of their god, then I see no problem with that. That has nothing to do with legal recognition because the civil marriage contract is a two person tango.

  6. #186
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    True. That's why marriage should be heterosexual only, because that and homosexuality are two different things.
    Well that is just stupid. Not every one fears everything which is different. Sometimes different is good.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  7. #187
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by csense View Post
    I see. Since you can't refute what I said, it has now become irrelevant. Typical Liberal.
    That's right, my being a liberal made you post irrelevant crap. Typical conservative, blaming others for his emotional responses.

    Your moral argument has no basis since Polygamy introduces no new element that isn't already contained within SSM and traditional marriage. The same is true for your legal argument. Multiple wives, multiple husbands, multiple mothers and multiple fathers. Polygamy adds no new element.

    As for your logical argument...well, you have no logical argument.
    Wow, so you think 2 is the same as more than 2. Your ignorance of the law is duly noted. Your inability to actually refute anything I have said in this thread speaks volumes for your logic...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  8. #188
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Of course. Why shouldn't consenting adults be able to marry multiple partners if they want? All of you are just thinking of situations such as have occurred within the extremist Mormon community…
    Please stop referring to these freaks as “Mormons”. They are not Mormons, and referring to them in that manner is offensive to genuine Mormons who have nothing to do with them.

    Polygamist Sects Are Not
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  9. #189
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    That's right, my being a liberal made you post irrelevant crap.
    I thought mods were given a different Award when they stepped down from the active mod team.

    Oh, sorry about posting irrelevant crap, you being a liberal forced me to do that

  10. #190
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:02 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,316
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I thought mods were given a different Award when they stepped down from the active mod team.

    Oh, sorry about posting irrelevant crap, you being a liberal forced me to do that
    You are lucky I was not drinking anything when I read your post. I would have been pissed at you.

    Guess I better contact Hugh about the award...
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 19 of 73 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •