View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All humans should be protected under the law.

    27 27.84%
  • No. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period.

    20 20.62%
  • No. Only homosexuals and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry.

    6 6.19%
  • I donít care what they do as long as they stay out of my business.

    34 35.05%
  • My catís name is Mittens.

    10 10.31%
Page 16 of 73 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 725

Thread: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

  1. #151
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Seeing as how I don't think being married should influence taxes at all, I'd say yes. Marry all the people you want.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  2. #152
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Definitely where we differ. The legality of marriage is sponsored by the state. If something has no benefit to the state, the state has no reason to sponsor it. Plural marriage is not an orientation nor has it been shown to provide any benefits to the individuals, children, or society. I have no issue with polygamy OUTSIDE of state sponsorship.
    Free speech and gun rights are a huge detriment to the state. Without these things, the state could very easily grab more and more power. So because it's a detriment to the state and not a benefit, I guess we should get rid of that stuff too? It's about the people, not the government.

    What about parks? Those definitely don't benefit the state, they benefit the people.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  3. #153
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Free speech and gun rights are a huge detriment to the state. Without these things, the state could very easily grab more and more power. So because it's a detriment to the state and not a benefit, I guess we should get rid of that stuff too? It's about the people, not the government.
    Free speech and gun rights certainly benefit the state. Free speech allows the free flowing of information. The more information a society has, the more it is able to use that information to progress. Gun rights also benefit the state. A well-armed populace helps the state survive potential threats.

    What about parks? Those definitely don't benefit the state, they benefit the people.
    Sure they do. The state has a vested interest in supporting parks. Parks can be positive places for children to be; if children are healthy, society thrives, something that the state certainly has a vested interest in.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #154
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Free speech and gun rights certainly benefit the state. Free speech allows the free flowing of information. The more information a society has, the more it is able to use that information to progress. Gun rights also benefit the state. A well-armed populace helps the state survive potential threats.



    Sure they do. The state has a vested interest in supporting parks. Parks can be positive places for children to be; if children are healthy, society thrives, something that the state certainly has a vested interest in.
    So I see you're using the word state to mean "the citizens" and not the term usually associated with it, "the government".

    In that case, I don't see why the freedom of a citizen to freely associate or form a contract with another human being isn't in the best interest of society. Should black people be able to vote? It would only really benefit black people, who are a minority. The majority of people wouldn't benefit from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #155
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    So I see you're using the word state to mean "the citizens" and not the term usually associated with it, "the government".

    In that case, I don't see why the freedom of a citizen to freely associate or form a contract with another human being isn't in the best interest of society. Should black people be able to vote? It would only really benefit black people, who are a minority. The majority of people wouldn't benefit from it.
    No, each of the things I mentioned benefits the government in the way I mentioned. A well informed populace benefits the state, as does a well-armed populace, as to healthy children.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #156
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,563

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No, each of the things I mentioned benefits the government in the way I mentioned. A well informed populace benefits the state, as does a well-armed populace, as to healthy children.
    Aha, so it's what I originally thought, you're concerned about the government and the bureacrats benefit, not the benefit of the citizens.

    Back to the scenario I proposed. What if the current government decided it would be in their best interest to disallow black people voting? Should they do that? Apparently rights are only important if they benefit the government.

    The government and the bureacrats are held in check by the constitution. Citizens speaking out against them does not benefit them, it makes their jobs harder.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #157
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    UHC is also a bad idea I strongly disagree with. I was speaking mostly of divorce courts. I know people think they'll live happily ever after forever and ever when they get married, but statistics say otherwise. Domestic courts are tied up enough as it is. This would absolutely destroy an already choked up system.
    I don't see how.

  8. #158
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,647

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Aha, so it's what I originally thought, you're concerned about the government and the bureacrats benefit, not the benefit of the citizens.
    No, I didn't say that at all. Your interpretation of what I said is wrong.

    Back to the scenario I proposed. What if the current government decided it would be in their best interest to disallow black people voting? Should they do that? Apparently rights are only important if they benefit the government.
    I do not respond to scenarios that have no basis in reality. Sorry. If you can demonstrate an example of how this could happen in our current system, I'll consider responding to it.

    The government and the bureacrats are held in check by the constitution. Citizens speaking out against them does not benefit them, it makes their jobs harder.
    Citizens speaking out benefits the government. You seem to be taking the "us vs. them" position, where the people are "us" and the "evil" government is "them". That is inaccurate.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  9. #159
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by What if...? View Post
    Which one gets to get married?

    The car or the dinosaur?
    The color six.

    You don't know ANY gay people, do you?
    I do, so what? Polygamy and same sex marriage are two entirely different issues.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Slippery slope arguments are logical fallacies.
    Not if they're true. Check FalacyFiles.com. If one can show that Z necessarily is the logical consequence of A,B,C.....then it's not a fallacy.

    The thing is so many people are more interested in venting their emotions then actually proving an argument.

Page 16 of 73 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •