View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All humans should be protected under the law.

    27 27.84%
  • No. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period.

    20 20.62%
  • No. Only homosexuals and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry.

    6 6.19%
  • I don’t care what they do as long as they stay out of my business.

    34 35.05%
  • My cat’s name is Mittens.

    10 10.31%
Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 725

Thread: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

  1. #111
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Sigh, already explained this, but since it hurt your argument, you ignored it and built an already refuted straw man. I have not said SSM and mixed sex marriage are the same, or that arguments for one necessarily are arguments for the other. Making **** up is not a good debate tactic Goshin.

    Further, the potential problems with poly is not because it is different. Because they are different, the arguments for and against are different. The problem with your argument is you are assuming that they must be the same, when it is clearly not the case.

    Let's make it simple then.

    Sisters Jane and Janet both fell in love with the same man, Jim. They've talked about it and all agree they want to marry as a polygamous family because they all love each other.

    Can you justify refusing them equal access to the legal institution of marriage?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  2. #112
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,399

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I already have. Legally, the state has to show it has a rational(at the least) reason to ban either SSM or polygamy. Since the two types of marriages are significantly different the arguments are different. You fail.
    They're only circumstantially different. Circumstances aside, they are both covered under equal rights laws to the same degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #113
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Let's make it simple then.

    Sisters Jane and Janet both fell in love with the same man, Jim. They've talked about it and all agree they want to marry as a polygamous family because they all love each other.

    Can you justify refusing them equal access to the legal institution of marriage?
    The issue would be whether the state has a rational basis to refuse them. Since SSM and polygamy are two different things, the basis for a state banning them would have to be different.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  4. #114
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    They're only circumstantially different. Circumstances aside, they are both covered under equal rights laws to the same degree.
    Yes, they involve different circumstances. Your point?

    Not sure if they would be covered under the 14th in the same way, but if they are, the arguments a state would put forth in a polygamy ban would have to be different than from a SSM ban, since they are not the same thing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #115
    Bring us a shrubbery!
    tessaesque's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Last Seen
    11-09-17 @ 06:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    15,910

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    well that is a way, but what if the company chooses not too,...do they face the wrath of government?
    If the company follows the law, they face nothing. If the law is changed and they ignore it, then yes, they incur the wrath of the government. But companies would have no reason to reject just a coverage system. The enrollee pays the fee, not them.
    "Hmmm...Can't decide if I want to watch "Four Houses" or give myself an Icy Hot pee hole enema..." - Blake Shelton


  6. #116
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    If the company follows the law, they face nothing. If the law is changed and they ignore it, then yes, they incur the wrath of the government. But companies would have no reason to reject just a coverage system. The enrollee pays the fee, not them.
    but suppose the company does not want 33 people on one policy of its worker.

    i am being told that people should be allowed to live free, have freedom of association with others and marry............well OK.

    but freedom of association also applies to people who own companies, and they dont have to create an association with all the extra people plural marriages which might occur.

    you cant be for one freedom, and not for another, when both are rights under the constitution....right to association, and a right to property.

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathematician View Post
    Lose the "too", because SSM shouldn't be.
    I'm trying to help the libs sort through their own fuzzy logic.

  8. #118
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Obama'Care is a legal nightmare. Polygamy would only require a couple regulations.
    UHC is also a bad idea I strongly disagree with. I was speaking mostly of divorce courts. I know people think they'll live happily ever after forever and ever when they get married, but statistics say otherwise. Domestic courts are tied up enough as it is. This would absolutely destroy an already choked up system.


    Same as SSM.
    Not talking about other people looking from the outside in. No woman is going to share a man with other women. This isn't Pakistan where women just accept that a man is going to have other wives. It's not normal in our culture, and completely unacceptable. Maybe the Obamacare program can have hospitals everywhere dedicate a branch to reattaching polygamist's dicks.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  9. #119
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    UHC is also a bad idea I strongly disagree with. I was speaking mostly of divorce courts. I know people think they'll live happily ever after forever and ever when they get married, but statistics say otherwise. Domestic courts are tied up enough as it is. This would absolutely destroy an already choked up system.



    Not talking about other people looking from the outside in. No woman is going to share a man with other women. This isn't Pakistan where women just accept that a man is going to have other wives. It's not normal in our culture, and completely unacceptable. Maybe the Obamacare program can have hospitals everywhere dedicate a branch to reattaching polygamist's dicks.

    Um bud, I hate to tell you but there's already a lot more of this going on than you apparently realize; just not on the official level. Not just Mormons either.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #120
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Ok, let me slow this down for you: I have not taken a position on polygamy in this thread. I really do not care about the issue. I am just pointing out that equating polygamy and SSM is kinda stupid since they are not the same thing. A point you have been going to great pains to avoid.
    Indeed they aren't.

    Polygamy, while unconventional, is genuine marriage, and it fulfills the purpose of marriage, while “same sex marriage” is not, never was, and never will be genuine marriage, and can only undermine and degrade the purpose of genuine marriage; and can only ever harm the society which embraces it.
    Last edited by Bob Blaylock; 06-23-13 at 07:54 PM. Reason: May the Forks be with you, always.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

Page 12 of 73 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •