View Poll Results: What say you?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. All humans should be protected under the law.

    27 27.84%
  • No. Marriage is between one man and one woman, period.

    20 20.62%
  • No. Only homosexuals and heterosexuals should be allowed to marry.

    6 6.19%
  • I donít care what they do as long as they stay out of my business.

    34 35.05%
  • My catís name is Mittens.

    10 10.31%
Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 725

Thread: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

  1. #101
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Or it could be that you're prejudiced against poly's for reasons similar to why others are prejudiced against SSM... you don't like it, you think it is bad for the children, you think it is bad for society, etc.

    Why is that your call to make, for others choices in life?


    Ok, let me slow this down for you: I have not taken a position on polygamy in this thread. I really do not care about the issue. I am just pointing out that equating polygamy and SSM is kinda stupid since they are not the same thing. A point you have been going to great pains to avoid.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #102
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Ok, let me slow this down for you: I have not taken a position on polygamy in this thread. I really do not care about the issue. I am just pointing out that equating polygamy and SSM is kinda stupid since they are not the same thing. A point you have been going to great pains to avoid.

    Well, do you support marriage equality for those who wish to willingly enter into poly-whatever marriage, or not?

    If not, why do you support marriage equality for SSM but not for Polys?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #103
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I did not say that.
    You're right, and I edited my post, but not fast enough.

    Can polygamous parents be good parents? If yes, then what's your point?
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  4. #104
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Well, do you support marriage equality for those who wish to willingly enter into poly-whatever marriage, or not?
    I am somewhat indifferent and would have to do far more research than I care to to form a proper opinion.

    If not, why do you support marriage equality for SSM but not for Polys?
    Let me try this again: they are not the same thing. Maybe you did not notice, but SSM involves 2 people, polygamy more than 2. The effects on those in polygamous relationships and their families is different from those in SSM relationships. The effects on society may be different. Why is this so hard for you?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #105
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    You're right, and I edited my post, but not fast enough.

    Can polygamous parents be good parents? If yes, then what's your point?
    Can be is very broad. Individuals can be good at just about anything, just as some people can drive 100 mph safely. That does not mean it is a good idea to raise the speed limit to 100.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #106
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    I am somewhat indifferent and would have to do far more research than I care to to form a proper opinion.



    Let me try this again: they are not the same thing. Maybe you did not notice, but SSM involves 2 people, polygamy more than 2. The effects on those in polygamous relationships and their families is different from those in SSM relationships. The effects on society may be different. Why is this so hard for you?

    Again, we come back to.... SSM is different from traditional marriage, but you're fine with that.

    Poly is different from two-party marriage, and you seem to view that as a problem.

    Yet I've heard innumerable arguments by pro-SSM activists saying "you can't help it if you fall in love with someone society says you're not supposed to love", and "marriage isn't only about children, it is about people's happiness", and all the stuff about equal access to a legal institution.... does that not also apply to Poly's, if no why not?

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  7. #107
    Sage
    mpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Milford, CT
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,769

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Can be is very broad. Individuals can be good at just about anything, just as some people can drive 100 mph safely. That does not mean it is a good idea to raise the speed limit to 100.
    I see your point, but is there something that makes it very difficult for polygamous parents to be good parents?
    If you expect people to be rational, you aren't being rational.

  8. #108
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    Again, we come back to.... SSM is different from traditional marriage, but you're fine with that.

    Poly is different from two-party marriage, and you seem to view that as a problem.

    Yet I've heard innumerable arguments by pro-SSM activists saying "you can't help it if you fall in love with someone society says you're not supposed to love", and "marriage isn't only about children, it is about people's happiness", and all the stuff about equal access to a legal institution.... does that not also apply to Poly's, if no why not?
    Sigh, already explained this, but since it hurt your argument, you ignored it and built an already refuted straw man. I have not said SSM and mixed sex marriage are the same, or that arguments for one necessarily are arguments for the other. Making **** up is not a good debate tactic Goshin.

    Further, the potential problems with poly is not because it is different. Because they are different, the arguments for and against are different. The problem with your argument is you are assuming that they must be the same, when it is clearly not the case.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  9. #109
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,158

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    I see your point, but is there something that makes it very difficult for polygamous parents to be good parents?

    I'm going to continue my assertion that it is because people associate polygamy with Mormon Fundamentalist splinter sects, and given the hatred certain segements have for both patriarchal setups and religious fundamentalism, they see Poly as evil.

    But of course there are many versions of Poly, whether gamy, andery, or amorous or other, and religious or non-religious, but certain minds shut down on the subject because of the association mentioned above...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #110
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,312
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: What about the polygamists!?! [W:693]

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    I see your point, but is there something that makes it very difficult for polygamous parents to be good parents?
    I really do not know why, nor is it important to my arguments. My argument is simply that polygamy is not SSM. They are not the same and need to be considered on their own merits. Trying to tie the two together is a dishonest argument.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 11 of 73 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •