View Poll Results: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    16 76.19%
  • No

    5 23.81%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Scenario: A guy is convicted and sentenced to 50 years in prison for wearing plaid shorts in public in 1997. Fast forward to 2004, and the law against wearing plaid shorts in public is repealed. The guy is 7 years into his 50 year sentence. But... his wearing of plaid shorts in public is no longer deemed a crime.

    Should he be released, or should he serve the remainder of his sentence?

    Conceptual question purposely made up so we don't get sidetracked regarding specific real crimes.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Plaid shorts maybe. If the guy was locked up for wearing blue jean shorts he should do life without parole regardless.










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #3
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Scenario: A guy is convicted and sentenced to 50 years in prison for wearing plaid shorts in public in 1997. Fast forward to 2004, and the law against wearing plaid shorts in public is repealed. The guy is 7 years into his 50 year sentence. But... his wearing of plaid shorts in public is no longer deemed a crime.

    Should he be released, or should he serve the remainder of his sentence?

    Conceptual question purposely made up so we don't get sidetracked regarding specific real crimes.

    Yes he should be released. People shouldn't be in prison or jail for things that are not crimes.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #4
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    He should be released on parole. His conviction should stand since he damaged those who saw him in that era.

    His parole contract should have a fashion clause.



    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Scenario: A guy is convicted and sentenced to 50 years in prison for wearing plaid shorts in public in 1997. Fast forward to 2004, and the law against wearing plaid shorts in public is repealed. The guy is 7 years into his 50 year sentence. But... his wearing of plaid shorts in public is no longer deemed a crime.

    Should he be released, or should he serve the remainder of his sentence?

    Conceptual question purposely made up so we don't get sidetracked regarding specific real crimes.

  5. #5
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Scenario: A guy is convicted and sentenced to 50 years in prison for wearing plaid shorts in public in 1997. Fast forward to 2004, and the law against wearing plaid shorts in public is repealed. The guy is 7 years into his 50 year sentence. But... his wearing of plaid shorts in public is no longer deemed a crime.

    Should he be released, or should he serve the remainder of his sentence?

    Conceptual question purposely made up so we don't get sidetracked regarding specific real crimes.
    No he should not. While something like that should be considered for parole hearings and the like, when you choose to break the law, you choose to accept the potential consequences of breaking that law.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #6
    economically ☭ socially ☭

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:42 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,148

    Re: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No he should not. While something like that should be considered for parole hearings and the like, when you choose to break the law, you choose to accept the potential consequences of breaking that law.


    really

  7. #7
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No he should not. While something like that should be considered for parole hearings and the like, when you choose to break the law, you choose to accept the potential consequences of breaking that law.
    Someone here plays it Lawfully Good, me I prefer Chaotic Good.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  8. #8
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lachean View Post
    Someone here plays it Lawfully Good, me I prefer Chaotic Good.
    Like Minsc? GO FOR THE EYES BOO!

  9. #9
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,893

    Re: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by the_recruit View Post
    Like Minsc? GO FOR THE EYES BOO!
    That's one tough rodent
    Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?-minsc-jpg
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  10. #10
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,566
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should repeal of a law void previous convictions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    No he should not. While something like that should be considered for parole hearings and the like, when you choose to break the law, you choose to accept the potential consequences of breaking that law.
    I voted yes, although this issue took some deep thought before responding to .

    I had to break it down into two segments: Repeal was because the law was found unconstitutional; Repeal because social attitudes had changed and it was no longer considered a criminal offense.

    If the law was repealed because it was deemed unconstitutional, then of course the person should be released immediately and his record completely cleared. That's because his original conviction was a violation of his constitutional rights and he never really committed any wrong-doing in the first place.

    The second one is trickier, because even though a law has been repealed after a public change of heart; as Redress states in (his/her?) quote, the person should have been aware at the time that he was committing a criminal offense and in making the choice to do so also agreed to submit to the penalty if caught.

    Now we all know that while the dictum "Ignorance of the Law is no excuse" is upheld by courts even though they know there are too many laws for people (even lawyers, judges or cops) to have memorized, it's still done because otherwise every defendant would claim ignorance and expect to be set free.

    Still, in my opinion the fact that society has determined this activity is no longer illegal obviates the need to either continue punishment or maintain any record of such criminality. So I believe the person should not only be immediately released from all obligations, but his record should also be completely cleared. Why? Reall we live in an era of data-mining and background check businesses, so we should act to prevent his past from being used against him in this new era where the original act is no longer considered to be criminal.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 06-22-13 at 06:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •