View Poll Results: Is state nullification constitutional?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    19 38.78%
  • No

    26 53.06%
  • Other/Don't know

    4 8.16%
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 178

Thread: Is state nullification constitutional?

  1. #51
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Again, this is all being done due to the current political divisiveness. We began as one nation, but the longer we exist, the more we divide, much like cellular division...
    That's part of it, but I think the devisiveness is more a symptom of what happens when people want to preserve the republic against people who are willing to strip protections for things they want. I think the biggest problems were laid out during the civil war, fighting secession based upon preserving the Union(though there is no basis for that power in the constitution), when secession was removed it then led to the 1900s and the expansions of the federal, only one of those amendments was stricken(prohibition), the expansions of Wilson, the Roosevelts, Nixon(EPA), CAFE standards, and then of course the latest grouping of stupid laws post 9/11 have laid a foundation to slip in many extra constitutional legislative pieces, and of course we have a SCOTUS that is all over the place, many times falling all over itself to legalize the illegal legislation.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #52
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    That's part of it, but I think the devisiveness is more a symptom of what happens when people want to preserve the republic against people who are willing to strip protections for things they want. I think the biggest problems were laid out during the civil war, fighting secession based upon preserving the Union(though there is no basis for that power in the constitution), when secession was removed it then led to the 1900s and the expansions of the federal, only one of those amendments was stricken(prohibition), the expansions of Wilson, the Roosevelts, Nixon(EPA), CAFE standards, and then of course the latest grouping of stupid laws post 9/11 have laid a foundation to slip in many extra constitutional legislative pieces, and of course we have a SCOTUS that is all over the place, many times falling all over itself to legalize the illegal legislation.
    Yes, as we evolve there is no mechanism in the Constitution to handle it adequately. I do not think you can expect a country currently of >300M citizens to hold the necessary shared values to hold together a society without force as societies are based on shared values and common interests...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  3. #53
    Professor
    Bigfoot 88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    12-01-15 @ 06:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    2,027
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    The Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions

    By James Madison and Thomas Jefferson, respectively

    Bill of Rights Institute: Virginia and Kentucky Resolutions
    "I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you have earned but not greed to want to take somebody else's money." -Thomas Sowell

  4. #54
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    Yes, as we evolve there is no mechanism in the Constitution to handle it adequately. I do not think you can expect a country currently of >300M citizens to hold the necessary shared values to hold together a society without force as societies are based on shared values and common interests...
    Slight disagreement here. I think the mechanisms are there, but they have to be taught to new generations properly, states are equipped for the most part with powers to give their citizens what they desire. The federal is limited to protect others who don't want those same policies so that people can for the most part choose their level of governance. The constitution even allows for "necessary and proper" in the rare events that there are questions of need and authority though that was always meant to be rare and the case proven by the federal government.

    I usually tell people, the constitution is a brilliant document but our politicians are too stupid to use it properly.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #55
    Advisor Lukas105's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, United States of America
    Last Seen
    08-07-15 @ 11:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    368

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    In this case of responding to the a tyrannical federal government, I vote Yes. A civil war is brewing in states with contempt for the Obama Administration.

    His Administration is pushing laws that are unconstitutional, so the states are in the right with nullification.
    "When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

  6. #56
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Slight disagreement here. I think the mechanisms are there, but they have to be taught to new generations properly, states are equipped for the most part with powers to give their citizens what they desire. The federal is limited to protect others who don't want those same policies so that people can for the most part choose their level of governance. The constitution even allows for "necessary and proper" in the rare events that there are questions of need and authority though that was always meant to be rare and the case proven by the federal government.

    I usually tell people, the constitution is a brilliant document but our politicians are too stupid to use it properly.
    The mechanisms were there but Congress abdicated by not challenging Marbury vs Madison. We now live under court rulings...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  7. #57
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    The mechanisms were there but Congress abdicated by not challenging Marbury vs Madison. We now live under court rulings...
    Absolutely, I definitely agree here. Unfortunately I think the Congress put more faith in an aging country than they maybe should have.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #58
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Absolutely, I definitely agree here. Unfortunately I think the Congress put more faith in an aging country than they maybe should have.
    All members of Congress are currently worried about is the next election and maintaining his/her power...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

  9. #59
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaPaul View Post
    All members of Congress are currently worried about is the next election and maintaining his/her power...
    Sad truth. Personally I hope people keep waking up and start sending the scumbags home.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #60
    Pragmatist
    AlabamaPaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    8,834

    Re: Is state nullification constitutional?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    Sad truth. Personally I hope people keep waking up and start sending the scumbags home.
    Yes, then we get the new scumbag...
    I don't often change my signature, but this was just too over the top to let anyone forget with what this country is up against...
    Quote Originally Posted by James D Hill View Post
    I am for gay marriage because it ticks off Jesus freaks and social conservatives. Gays are also good voters because the vote for my side so I fight next to them.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •