View Poll Results: What are we?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • A Nation of Laws

    7 36.84%
  • A Nation of Rights

    5 26.32%
  • Neither/Other

    7 36.84%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Who are we?

  1. #11
    User Michael Stewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    New York
    Last Seen
    10-10-13 @ 03:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    5

    Re: Who are we?

    We're both. I think Luther said it well, the purpose of laws is to protect the rights of the citizenry.

  2. #12
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Who are we?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Do you think that outline was intended for illegal immigrants as well?
    The Constitution was based for American citizens, therefore anybody that is in the United States illegally is not protected by the Constitution. If they are in the transition period of becoming an American citizen then they should also be protected. But just because somebody is here doesn't mean they are protected.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  3. #13
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Who are we?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Does anyone else feel like we're becoming more and more like a nation of rights over a nation of laws? So here's the question: First, and foremost, are we a nation of rights, or are we a nation of laws?
    Trick question. Rights are laws, so both.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #14
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: Who are we?

    Quote Originally Posted by iacardsfan View Post
    The Constitution was based for American citizens, therefore anybody that is in the United States illegally is not protected by the Constitution. If they are in the transition period of becoming an American citizen then they should also be protected. But just because somebody is here doesn't mean they are protected.
    That is made up nonsense. The constitution applies to all persons within the jurisdiction of the United States. Clauses that apply only to citizens are specifically stated as such.

    You are a good example of who we have become. Inventing made up arguments to deny people their fundamental legal rights because you don't like them politically. The funny part is that you probably will act surprised when your own rights are on the chopping block.

  5. #15
    Professor
    iacardsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Last Seen
    11-24-17 @ 09:51 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: Who are we?

    Quote Originally Posted by rathi View Post
    That is made up nonsense. The constitution applies to all persons within the jurisdiction of the United States. Clauses that apply only to citizens are specifically stated as such.

    You are a good example of who we have become. Inventing made up arguments to deny people their fundamental legal rights because you don't like them politically. The funny part is that you probably will act surprised when your own rights are on the chopping block.
    Ok fair enough, then why are we unjustly detaining people in US jurisdiction (Guantanamo Bay) Even though the 14th Amendment provides for such protection of all in US jurisdiction we still don't follow such laws. Why is it different for a "terrorist" than somebody crossing the boarder illegally? And let's be realistic, when the Bill of Rights was written they did not intend to protect every single person who set foot in this nation, it was a time where the people were afraid of government to the point the framers had to make the Constitution overprotective of people.
    "Conservatism is the blind and fear-filled worship of dead radicals."
    - Mark Twain
    Run your own nation, play Cybernations.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Who are we?

    We're a nation that thinks everything is a right.

  7. #17
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Who are we?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dooble View Post
    Does anyone else feel like we're becoming more and more like a nation of rights over a nation of laws? So here's the question: First, and foremost, are we a nation of rights, or are we a nation of laws?
    You're comparing apples with apples. Legal rights are upheld by laws.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  8. #18
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Who are we?

    Quote Originally Posted by SMTA View Post
    Right - throw out that pesky Bill of Rights and that nasty COTUS.

    Knock yourself out.
    Acknowledging that something is not set in stone is hardly the same as calling for complete dismissal.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  9. #19
    Don't Give a Rat's Ass
    SMTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    OH
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    21,869

    Re: Who are we?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Acknowledging that something is not set in stone is hardly the same as calling for complete dismissal.
    So you are an expert on what other folks think?
    Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher
    Baby sister, I was born game and I intend to go out that way - Rooster Cogburn

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Who are we?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    I don't think so but, then again, I don't have the decoder ring necessary to figure out what you're asking.
    Isn't it obvious? Where do you stand on the illegal immigrants who already reside in this country? What's your stance on the legal definition of marriage?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •