View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 89 of 198 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #881
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The law is pretty much your entire argument.
    As it is the law, it should play a significant role. But don't forget history. These things happen for a reason.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #882
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    its very clear, that these laws were made to bring up the social scale.... minorities.

    in fact today the USSC , sent back to Texas a case of discrimination based on affirmative action, where the state admits it discriminated, ........as they put it ...." for the greater good"
    You argue worse than you read ...

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Discrimination and affirmative action are laws in place to resolve societal issues that were threatening to tear the country apart. In time the pendulum will swing the other way and they'll go by the wayside.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #883
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    here try this:

    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

    DOI......life liberty, and the pursuit of happiness <--------translates into property

    constitution------->.....life liberty or property
    Good try but that does not compute.

    First off, if Thomas Jefferson had meant "life liberty or property" he would have written it "life, liberty, and property" (or 'estate' as the case may be). The very fact that he didn't do that, and used "pursuit of happiness" instead, is information in and of itself about Jefferson's intent and meaning.

    Second, those two events are separated by almost a century of time. No one that signed the Declaration was alive when the 14th was written. I'd bet not even their children were still alive by that time.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  4. #884
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Life
    Liberty
    Estate(property) Pursuit of Happiness.
    (fixed)
    If that means "property" to you then more power to you. But that's not what it means to me and, like the religious zealots I reject, I also reject your claims of property omniscience.



    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    All rights begin with the sovereignty over one's own body and life is the origin of all inalienable rights and the basis of the three pillars of rights. With ownership over yourself you're the sole arbiter of your body and your life and of course this means and implies the authority to control your destiny. Whatever property you have ownership over works on this same principle be it your home, your business, or and even small things like your toothbrush. This means that there is no doubt that owner of property does in fact have the right to start a business.
    Even Locke himself said that didn't apply once men created money and could store the fruits of his labor indefinitely.


    Sorry, you do not have the right to start a business. You have many rights as a person, you have none as a business/company/corporation - unless you want to accept the USSC's decisions, which includes discrimination laws?



    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Ownership pushes libertarian beliefs into the cold? How sad.
    Property omniscience is what leaves it on the ice. How sad you don't seem to understand the difference.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  5. #885
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You entirely missed his point.
    I didn't miss anything. I've heard it all before many, many times.


    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    You wish to deny calling business a person and yet you desire to have them act like a person.
    I do? Where did I say that?

    For that matter, where do you even think I implied that?


    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It's a very strange and I feel losing battle you have started and Citizens United is only the beginning of exactly what will happen because of it. It's not as if I care anyway. Owners of business are people and the sooner people realize this the better.
    Owners of government are people, too, and the sooner people realize this the better.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  6. #886
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    When did you agree to being a resident? Is birth agreement to any sort of arrangement besides life, liberty and estate? The social contract does not mean we give up our inalienable rights for the group, but that those inalienable rights are protected, and so just naturally your argument is rejected.
    My parents did that for me. I really couldn't talk, think, or even sign my name at the time.

    LOL! Again with John Locke instead of the Declaration of Independence or US Constitution!


    Only in your little world is it rejected.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #887
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    No law should be able to force a business to be open to the public. That's the whole point of this thread.
    As far as I'm concerned - and I beliive many if not all laws back me up on this - they don't have to be open to the public as long as they license themselves as a private (not open to the public) business and don't advertise like they're open to the public. There are thousands and thousands of private clubs of various kinds all over the US.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #888
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    As it is the law, it should play a significant role. But don't forget history. These things happen for a reason.
    You know, I keep telling people that over and over in many different threads and types of discussions but they just don't seem to get it. Somehow they must believe everything happens in a vacuum.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #889
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    When did you agree to being a resident? Is birth agreement to any sort of arrangement besides life, liberty and estate? The social contract does not mean we give up our inalienable rights for the group, but that those inalienable rights are protected, and so just naturally your argument is rejected.
    When I consented to agree to the contract. I didnt give up my right, i gave the govt power to manage it.

  10. #890
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    No law should be able to force a business to be open to the public. That's the whole point of this thread.
    Yes, it is. Im arguing against it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •