View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 60 of 198 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110160 ... LastLast
Results 591 to 600 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #591
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    So you'd prefer a sign that says "OPEN" along with a sign specifying any restrictions, such as "NO IRISH, PLEASE". The business owner would then be allowed to not serve Irish?
    Works for me and I've said that from the beginning. Hell, put up a sign that says Whites Only, I don't care. Just don't have me paying for parking and wasting 15 min of my 30 min lunch period to be told "We don't serve your kind".
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #592
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i gave you history from the founders, who were there at the constitution writing and explain its meaning and dealings.
    Contracts don't need an explanation, that's why they're usually written down.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #593
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually you didn't. You threw out an incomplete view of that history. Allow me:

    During its time, the main purpose of the 14th Amendment was to ensure that the Civil Rights Act passed in 1866 was upheld. However, following the adoption of the 14th Amendment, Supreme Court decisions began placing restrictions on the Equal Protection Clause. For example, in the court case Plessy v. Ferguson, the Supreme Court said that the states were able to uphold segregation, as long as facilities were created for both blacks and whites. This eventually led to the formation of the separate but equal doctrine, which was considered by the court to be sufficient in fulfilling the 14th Amendment. On May 17, 1954 just over 50 years later, the Plessy decision was reversed with the trial of Brown v. Board of Education, bringing an end to governmental segregation declaring that it was unconstitutional. Another important aspect of this amendment said that states, as well as federal power, were required to abide by the Bill of Rights, meaning that both of these powers were expected to abide by equal protection. The significance of the 14th Amendment became a crucial part of the Civil Rights Movement (1955-1968) and the many lawsuits that referenced it during that time.

    Understanding the 14th Amendment | Find the Right Lawyer with LegalMatch
    i stated to you why the 14th amendment was created:


    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

    the 13th freed the slaves.

    the 14th made them citizens because the government has the power of naturalization, and stated that states could not abridge the privileges and immunities of slaves....that no state shall not deprive a person of life, liberty. or his property without due process of deny any person within u.s. jurisdiction equal protection under it laws.

    the 15 says they can vote, no matter if the were former slaves, these 3 amendments are the reconstruction amendments, dealing with the slave population....only.

    whites....... already have privileges and immunities, due process of law, equal protection under the law in the 5th amendment.

    the USSC ruled in the 1870's the reconstruction amendments were created for slaves...i believe it is the slaughterhouse case.

  4. #594
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Contracts don't need an explanation, that's why they're usually written down.
    really, what are the federalist papers?

  5. #595
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i stated to you why the 14th amendment was created:


    All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

    the 13th freed the slaves.

    the 14th made them citizens because the government has the power of naturalization, and stated that states could not abridge the privileges and immunities of slaves....that no state shall not deprive a person of life, liberty. or his property without due process of deny any person within u.s. jurisdiction equal protection under it laws.

    the 15 says they can vote, no matter if the were former slaves, these 3 amendments are the reconstruction amendments, dealing with the slave population....only.

    whites....... already have privileges and immunities, due process of law, equal protection under the law in the 5th amendment.

    the USSC ruled in the 1870's the reconstruction amendments were created for slaves...i believe it is the slaughterhouse case.
    Again you're incomplete keep reading. If you need more links, let me know.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #596
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    And you consented to give the govt power to regulate that commerce as well as decide what equal treatment under those regulations mean.
    sorry no.... the states didn't.

    it has only been since 1941 that government has taken over commerce.

    the constitution states that the federal government has the power to regulate commerce among the states not inside them.

    among ....means among a body or group.

    a·mong (-mng) also a·mongst (-mngst)
    prep.
    1. In the midst of; surrounded by: a pine tree among cedars.
    2. In the group, number, or class of: She is among the wealthy.
    3. In the company of; in association with: traveling among a group of tourists.
    4. By many or the entire number of; with many: a custom popular among the Greeks.
    5. By the joint action of: Among us, we will finish the job.
    6. With portions to each of: Distribute this among you.
    7. Each with the other: Don't fight among yourselves. See Usage Note at between.

    commerce under the articles of confederation was almost at a stand still becuase states where putting up barriers against each other and warring among themselves over commerce, this is why commerce among the states was given to the new federal government.

    under the constitution the federal government was never meant to control commerce inside the state...that is a state power.

    no where in the constitution are there any powers which give government authority over the people lifes..........expect for pirates counterfeiters and traitors.

  7. #597
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    really, what are the federalist papers?
    Not legal contracts signed by all parties involved.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #598
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again you're incomplete keep reading. If you need more links, let me know.
    1)are the 13, 14 ,15 the reconstruction amendments?

    2)do they speak to the slave population only?

    3) did the court rule in 1873 that the amendments applied to slaves only?

    4) does the 14th amendment restrict the states from discrimination?

    does it restrict people or business...if so, show me it in the amendment of the constitution.

  9. #599
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    you have no rights to anyone else property. !
    How is property ownership determined in your view?

  10. #600
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    1)are the 13, 14 ,15 the reconstruction amendments?

    2)do they speak to the slave population only?

    3) did the court rule in 1873 that the amendments applied to slaves only?

    4) does the 14th amendment restrict the states from discrimination?

    does it restrict people or business...if so, show me it in the amendment of the constitution.

    Do you think history on this stopped in 1873? I'm concerned you did click the link I gave and read it all, nor the court cases I gave earlier.

    Only in the mid-20th century did the civil rights promise of the 14th Amendment finally begin to be fulfilled.

    http://www.newsinhistory.com/feature...d-civil-rights

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •