View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 59 of 198 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109159 ... LastLast
Results 581 to 590 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #581
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    They wanted to free slaves and assure some equality. Their original intent failed, but was successful in the civil rights movement. I gave you court cases on that.
    i gave you constitutional law.

    and what the founders say.

  2. #582
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i gave you constitutional law.

    and what the founders say.
    Which has nothing to do with the letter of the contract that they signed.

    After everyone has signed a contract you don't get to go back and say, "Wait! That's not what I wanted to sign!" or "That's not what I meant to say - I really meant this!"
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #583
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i gave you constitutional law.

    and what the founders say.
    And I gave you history. Your point?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #584
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    As I said earlier, quasi-legals and lawyers are the stupidest people when it comes to talking.

    Swimming pools that are privately owned but will admit anyone are commonly called "public pools". Privately owned golf courses that admit anyone are commonly called "public golf courses". Not every business that is privately owned is also a private business like a private pool, private golf course, or private dance club. If you're going to talk the least you could do is learn the language.




    And none of this addresses the issues I've put forth. If you want to talk, fine, if you just want to preach and not address my posts then don't bother quoting them.
    sounds like your going into an area of personal remarks....therefore no case for your defense.

  5. #585
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    The TV is a color TV, too. It's blue, not white, black, or some shade of grey.

    And any reasonable person would assume it's open for business, that is, making money not social and/or political statements.
    So you'd prefer a sign that says "OPEN" along with a sign specifying any restrictions, such as "NO IRISH, PLEASE". The business owner would then be allowed to not serve Irish?

  6. #586
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    And I gave you history. Your point?
    i gave you history from the founders, who were there at the constitution writing and explain its meaning and dealings.

  7. #587
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i gave you history from the founders, who were there at the constitution writing and explain its meaning and dealings.
    Actually you didn't. You threw out an incomplete view of that history. Allow me:

    During its time, the main purpose of the 14th Amendment was to ensure that the Civil Rights Act passed in 1866 was upheld. However, following the adoption of the 14th Amendment, Supreme Court decisions began placing restrictions on the Equal Protection Clause. For example, in the court case Plessy v. Ferguson, the Supreme Court said that the states were able to uphold segregation, as long as facilities were created for both blacks and whites. This eventually led to the formation of the separate but equal doctrine, which was considered by the court to be sufficient in fulfilling the 14th Amendment. On May 17, 1954 just over 50 years later, the Plessy decision was reversed with the trial of Brown v. Board of Education, bringing an end to governmental segregation declaring that it was unconstitutional. Another important aspect of this amendment said that states, as well as federal power, were required to abide by the Bill of Rights, meaning that both of these powers were expected to abide by equal protection. The significance of the 14th Amendment became a crucial part of the Civil Rights Movement (1955-1968) and the many lawsuits that referenced it during that time.

    Understanding the 14th Amendment | Find the Right Lawyer with LegalMatch

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #588
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,042

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    How is it equal treatment under the law to treat the business in this fashion? I'm also a bit lost on how the two are connected. How is the law saying a business can be opened have anything to do with who the business serves? The business is private property and under the control of the business owner. Does the state have ownership of the property or does the business owner? If the later then exactly how can you claim what you said here?

    I don't imagine you desire to tell why the state should have a say on who does business or not.
    Because that is the society we almost unanimously decided to live in, one which grants equal treatment to people without consideration of race, sex, or religion. Youre welcome to try and change the constitution to allow people to discriminate based on race, but you wont convince me that doing so in public should be ok.

  9. #589
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    sounds like your going into an area of personal remarks....therefore no case for your defense.
    In other words, "You're right and I don't want to talk about it" --- Yep, I already figured that out.
    Last edited by MoSurveyor; 06-23-13 at 02:17 PM.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #590
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,042

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    it already is a private business, becuase its not publicly owned, the public does not pay the taxes on it either.

    i as a citizen, have a right to commerce

    the owner of the private business does not work int he interest of the people, he works in his own interest, and that is to make money.

    your argument is ....someone is not being served, and you dont like that so, make them do what i want........and that is unconstitutional.

    people dont have power over other people.
    And you consented to give the govt power to regulate that commerce as well as decide what equal treatment under those regulations mean.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •