View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 58 of 198 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068108158 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 580 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #571
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    I think you are stretching the "burden on a fellow citizen" when that applies to taking money for a service. You have a right to be treated equally under the law and in a place of business.
    its not stretching anything....no one has a right to be served.

    if a person had a right to be served, then you can thru the power of a right compel/force someone to do something for you, and that's unconstitutional.

    no citizen has the power over another citizen to force him to do anything, against his will.

    where does it say you have to be treated equally, in the sense that i must serve you, ....if i create a transaction with you, then i must treat you fairly under the law, however i dont have to create such a transaction.

    what you saying is becuase you dont like the way some people behave towards other people in an unkindly fashion, then those people thru the power of force by government ......should be made to serve others against their will.

    this is not logical becuase the foundering fathers did not give the federal government power over the people to do such a thing...in fact no power at all.

  2. #572
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    If you want to discriminate then open a private business instead of a public one - problem solved and no laws violated, not even your skewed interpretations of them.
    it already is a private business, becuase its not publicly owned, the public does not pay the taxes on it either.

    i as a citizen, have a right to commerce

    the owner of the private business does not work int he interest of the people, he works in his own interest, and that is to make money.

    your argument is ....someone is not being served, and you dont like that so, make them do what i want........and that is unconstitutional.

    people dont have power over other people.

  3. #573
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Hey Libs, if a business owner is informed by a powerful private local organization that he can't serve a certain demographic group that this is OK? I guess you could say that the business owners were free to use their own judgment in this type of situation that was common. Please write about how it was before these laws that you don't like were enacted.
    A powerful local organization still operates this way in a small area in Arizona.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 06-23-13 at 01:07 PM.

  4. #574
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    it already is a private business, becuase its not publicly owned, the public does not pay the taxes on it either.
    I pay taxes on the water system he uses, the police protection he uses, etc. My taxes are very proportional to my income. The Private business may have a low profit and low taxes. My taxes may not be low. Therefore, in a truly functional way I may be supporting his business.

  5. #575
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    The store is not closed. It's open.
    The TV is a color TV, too. It's blue, not white, black, or some shade of grey.


    And any reasonable person would assume it's open for business, that is, making money not social and/or political statements.




    You keep avoiding my questions that you don't like so I have no reason to answer yours or give you some platform to preach Anarchist Dreamland.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  6. #576
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Hmm. So someone comes to you and issues you the edict that you must interact with a particular person. You refuse. So he comes back and says that because you disobeyed him he requires that you give him some of your money. Again you refuse. This time he comes back armed, seizes you, and puts you in a cage.

    You don't consider this forceful action intended to master you to be aggression?

    You don't consider this attack upon you to be aggression?

    But I see that you don't wish to use the term "aggression". I suppose we can work around that restriction. I'll simply say that libertarians hold that every person, apart from being the sole owner of his physical body, has the right to employ his private property in any way he sees fit so long as in so doing he does not uninvitedly change the physical integrity of another person's body or property. All interpersonal exchanges and all exchanges of property titles between private owners are to be voluntary. One person forcing another to interact with others would violate this principle, which is why libertarians oppose this.
    No, that's law enforcement dealing with a law breaker. Quite a different situation. It is how all who break he law should be treated. Again, there is a clear history of why we have this law.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #577
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    and if you read history, you will see the 14th amendment to our constitution was originally written for governments not to discriminate against the slave population only.
    They wanted to free slaves and assure some equality. Their original intent failed, but was successful in the civil rights movement. I gave you court cases on that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #578
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    it already is a private business, becuase its not publicly owned, the public does not pay the taxes on it either.
    As I said earlier, quasi-legals and lawyers are the stupidest people when it comes to talking.

    Swimming pools that are privately owned but will admit anyone are commonly called "public pools". Privately owned golf courses that admit anyone are commonly called "public golf courses". Not every business that is privately owned is also a private business like a private pool, private golf course, or private dance club. If you're going to talk the least you could do is learn the language.




    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    <snip irrelevant crap>
    And none of this addresses the issues I've put forth. If you want to talk, fine, if you just want to preach and not address my posts then don't bother quoting them.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #579
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post

    I pay taxes on the water system he uses, the police protection he uses, etc. My taxes are very proportional to my income. The Private business may have a low profit and low taxes. My taxes may not be low. Therefore, in a truly functional way I may be supporting his business.
    Every community supports the businesses in it. Few Libertarians want to think about that. They'd rather whine that they're paying anything to anyone at all instead of moving if they don't like the contract. Hypocritical idiots.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #580
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by OhIsee.Then View Post

    I pay taxes on the water system he uses, the police protection he uses, etc. My taxes are very proportional to my income. The Private business may have a low profit and low taxes. My taxes may not be low. Therefore, in a truly functional way I may be supporting his business.
    sorry that Elizabeth warren kind of thinking does not work.

    business pay taxes to ..on their business.

    you have no rights to anyone else property.

    you have no right to be served!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •