View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 56 of 198 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106156 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #551
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Republic of Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    14,018

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What rights would those be exactly? The right to force people to accept your presence on your their property? The right to force people to give you service? Tell me, how does it make any sense at all to make aggression a right? The government forced people to accept others on their property and forced them to give them service and we are really going to call this a right? Ridiculous.
    The right to be treated equally by the law, which includes regulation of commerce. If the law says that a person may operate a business within a community, then that law can also require that the business must be open to the public, regardless of race. Equal treatment under the law is a constitutional right.

  2. #552
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    What makes you think a business owner can lie to people with impunity?
    An open sign is not lie. The store is open, no?

    Okay, now you answer my question: What do you think gives you (or anyone) the authority to tell another person what sort of sign he must post on his business?

  3. #553
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    The right to be treated equally by the law, which includes regulation of commerce. If the law says that a person may operate a business within a community, then that law can also require that the business must be open to the public, regardless of race. Equal treatment under the law is a constitutional right.
    How is it equal treatment under the law to treat the business in this fashion? I'm also a bit lost on how the two are connected. How is the law saying a business can be opened have anything to do with who the business serves? The business is private property and under the control of the business owner. Does the state have ownership of the property or does the business owner? If the later then exactly how can you claim what you said here?

    I don't imagine you desire to tell why the state should have a say on who does business or not.
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-23-13 at 10:47 AM.

  4. #554
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    If the law says that a person may operate a business within a community...
    What person could tell another person that they may not trade with others? And how would one acquire this authority over his fellow man?

  5. #555
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    If you post a sign that says "OPEN" with no qualification then you've made a public statement that anyone could take to be directed at them. If you had an intention of excluding people then it's obviously lying. You're not "OPEN" you're "OPEN TO WHITES ONLY" or whatever.
    Let's say that a store owner catches Joe shoplifting. He says to Joe, "Get out. You may never come back to my store again."

    The shopkeeper has a sign that simply says OPEN. Is this a lie? Should it say "OPEN TO EVERYONE EXCEPT JOE"?

  6. #556
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    An open sign is not lie. The store is open, no?
    Obviously it's not if you're the wrong color.


    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Okay, now you answer my question: What do you think gives you (or anyone) the authority to tell another person what sort of sign he must post on his business?
    Tell you what. You post any sign you want and I'll make sure you're sued out of business for all the people's time you've wasted. By the time you get through paying my salary for a couple of days of court and my lawyers fees for a couple of days - plus all my black or gay friends time and lawyers fees - you won't have anything left but empty pockets.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #557
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Let's say that a store owner catches Joe shoplifting. He says to Joe, "Get out. You may never come back to my store again."

    The shopkeeper has a sign that simply says OPEN. Is this a lie? Should it say "OPEN TO EVERYONE EXCEPT JOE"?
    Joe basically agreed not to come back by being allowed to leave instead of going to jail for shoplifting. Not quite the same thing as just any member of the public walking through a door that says "OPEN".
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  8. #558
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Tell you what. You post any sign you want and I'll make sure you're sued out of business for all the people's time you've wasted. By the time you get through paying my salary for a couple of days of court and my lawyers fees for a couple of days - plus all my black or gay friends time and lawyers fees - you won't have anything left but empty pockets.
    That's not really an adequate answer to the question of what do you think gives you (or anyone) the legitimate authority to tell another person what sort of sign he must post on his business.

  9. #559
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Joe basically agreed not to come back by being allowed to leave instead of going to jail. Not quite the same thing as just a member of the public walking up to a door that says "OPEN".
    So the fact that the store really isn't open to everyone doesn't make it a lie?

  10. #560
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    That's not really an adequate answer to the question of what do you think gives you (or anyone) the legitimate authority to tell another person what sort of sign he must post on his business.
    I'm sorry you believe that. I thought it was rather plain.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •