View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 4 of 198 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #31
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Who said that?

    You're again discussing circumstances and attire, both of which can be manipulated. To make this comparison also trivializes the circumstances in which the legislation was passed. The permissive attitude regarding race discrimination extended far beyond storefronts to nearly every facet of life. Recognizing that discrimination exists in various forms does not justify excusing it in any form.
    I'm still a bit lost on why private business can't act in the same fashion as any other property privately owned. Why does it matter what the discrimination was towards when talking about rights?

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    I think that we should also support mandatory vaccinations, the abolition of smoking/drinking, and cameras everywhere for the sake of "public safety".

    You know what's best for us, Big Brother. We are at your mercy.

  3. #33
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,664

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Absolutely not. Whether or not the businesses in question would have lost competitiveness or eventually went bankrupt is entirely speculatory and irrelevant. Putting into law the principle that no man should be treated as a second class citizen simply because of appearance was a necessary and long overdue measure.
    What of senior citizen/veteran discounts, kids eat free, ladies nights and other "special" pricing schemes based on "status"? The use of a few gov't mandated "special" classes of folks that must be given "equal" access ignores the freedom of the property/business owner to do as they please.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #34
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    By that logic, any business that refuses to "sell" things to people who don't have the money to buy it would be engaging in discrimination against the poor. That, pretty obviously, would be an idiotic thing to assert.
    Well yes, it is idiotic. That was the point.

    Also, private clubs are currently exempt from the public accommodations provision of the CRA. They are perfectly free to discriminate on the basis of attire, race, hair color, gender or nose hair count if they want to. Why? Because they're not public accommodations
    So what? That misses the point. Should a private club be exempt? Should white only clubs be allowed? If so, how is that any different than allowing white only restaurants?
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  5. #35
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Well yes, it is idiotic. That was the point.
    Your point was that comparing an inability to purchase something to racial/gender discrimination is idiotic?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    So what? That misses the point. Should a private club be exempt? Should white only clubs be allowed?
    As I've already explained, they are allowed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    If so, how is that any different than allowing white only restaurants?
    As I've already explained, a private club is not a public accommodation. It -by definition - is not, and never has been open to the general public. Can't say the same about the other thing.

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Can someone tell me why liberals hate it when America shoves its morality in the faces of other countries, but doesn't mind it shoving it in our own?

  7. #37
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    So we have a black president, and your argument is blacks would still get shut out of sit in diners with little-no effect on business? I don't buy that one bit.
    Actually they are. Visit Holly Springs Mississippi. I know you find some there.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #38
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    For those who agree with Paul and Stossel, if YOU could get away with it legally, which groups would YOU discriminate against, and why?

    Be honest.

    (My spidey-sense tells me no one will have the backbone to answer this.)
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    For those who agree with Paul and Stossel, if YOU could get away with it legally, which groups would YOU discriminate against, and why?

    Be honest.

    (My spidey-sense tells me no one will have the backbone to answer this.)
    People that ask me that insulting question. Nah, you have money and I want it. Come on in.

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    For those who agree with Paul and Stossel, if YOU could get away with it legally, which groups would YOU discriminate against, and why?

    Be honest.

    (My spidey-sense tells me no one will have the backbone to answer this.)
    None.

    I have the backbone.

    That's the problem with partisans. They want to shove THEIR rights down YOUR throat.

    I don't smoke, and I think it's the most disgusting habit there is. It doesn't mean that I want to take away your right to smoke.

Page 4 of 198 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •