View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 36 of 198 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686136 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #351
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Yes I am aware that this is the case. My question to you is why/how does a large group of people acquire legitimate authority over others.
    Seems rather obvious. Through our political process.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #352
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    People discriminate every day. And yet it is not illegal. Libertarians just treat the issue for private businesses the same way we ALL treat the issue for individuals. Now, I will say that this should not even be an issue for discussion. There are a lot of pressing issues, and not allowing businesses to discriminate is not one of them.
    Some forms are. Some aren't. The blanket approach in the form of excusing any form is a foolish one.

  3. #353
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    No one said you have to tolerate it.
    I was referring more broadly to society and the legal system.

  4. #354
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Oh please, they don't have to hang out and be bet buds with any customers. Just do business. Why must there be all tis exaggeration?
    Doing business without someone is what I was talking about in part.

  5. #355
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    There is nothing fake about my words. While dating this black girl, I was exposed to prejudices I've never seen from whites.
    Sure. But we're speaking about racism, the ability to abuse a race inherent in the system.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #356
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Doing business without someone is what I was talking about in part.
    Again, I just don't see an issue.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    You said people were being forced and no one is. You can do a lot of things and still be a racist. Just not a business that serves the public.
    I'm not really open to humoring this foolishness. Your argument is that one must not start a business as they desire if they don't want to have their rights violated. There is no reason to assume for a moment to accept your argument as it makes them either decide against their wishes or accept aggression.

  8. #358
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, I just don't see an issue.
    Of course you don't. The authoritarians never do.
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-22-13 at 04:51 PM.

  9. #359
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buck Ewer View Post
    Libertarianism = freedom for businesses ... not freedom for individuals.
    No one has a right to enter peoples property against their wishes
    No one has a right to force others to do them a service.

    So I'm not sure what you're referring.



    Jim Crow segregation laws were as aggressively against individual freedom as any law could be.
    No libertarian in this thread spoke in favor of Jim Crow laws.

    Libertarians show their true identity when they favor the repeal of the CRA.
    Who said anything about the repeal of the CRA? We are talking about two titles in the law, not the entire law.
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-22-13 at 04:58 PM.

  10. #360
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Of course you don't. The authoritarians never do.
    Nonsense. You have to actually she someone abused. Having more customers is hardly abuse.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •