View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 3 of 198 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #21
    #NeverTrump
    a351's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Space Coast
    Last Seen
    09-09-17 @ 08:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    6,902

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Really? So everyone can afford to purchase an expensive tuxedo? I don't think so.

    Do not clubs with dress codes make the poor who cannot afford such clothes second class citizens?
    Who said that?

    You're again discussing circumstances and attire, both of which can be manipulated. To make this comparison also trivializes the circumstances in which the legislation was passed. The permissive attitude regarding race discrimination extended far beyond storefronts to nearly every facet of life. Recognizing that discrimination exists in various forms does not justify excusing it in any form.

  2. #22
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,888

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    I for one want business owners who would discriminate against me to do so openly, so that I wont give them any of my money nor do I want to be where I am not wanted.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  3. #23
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ReformCollege View Post
    Circumstances changes. That's why its called history.
    you'd be surprised how little.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #24
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    You don't think that statement is, in and of itself, racist?
    If this was intended as a pun, bravo to you, sir.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Really? So everyone can afford to purchase an expensive tuxedo? I don't think so. Do not clubs with dress codes make the poor who cannot afford such clothes second class citizens?
    Be careful...... statements like that is just like honey to a few (socialist) bears who would love to make that exact argument.

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    you'd be surprised how little.
    So we have a black president, and your argument is blacks would still get shut out of sit in diners with little-no effect on business? I don't buy that one bit.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Lutherf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,654

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    If this was intended as a pun, bravo to you, sir.
    It's but one small way in which racial issues (and most others) can so easily be blown far out of proportion to the actual problem.

  8. #28
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Really? So everyone can afford to purchase an expensive tuxedo? I don't think so. Do not clubs with dress codes make the poor who cannot afford such clothes second class citizens?
    By that logic, any business that refuses to "sell" a thing to people who don't have the money to buy it would be engaging in discrimination against the poor. That, pretty obviously, would be an idiotic thing to assert.

    Also, private clubs are currently exempt from the public accommodations provision of the CRA. They are perfectly free to discriminate on the basis of attire, race, hair color, gender or nose hair count if they want to. Why? Because they're not public accommodations.

  9. #29
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Who said that?
    You implied it. I asked if dress codes requiring expensive clothes should be legal, and you said yes, because "you can just change clothes." But if "I" am poor, then no I can't. So how am I not being made a second class citizen?

    You're again discussing circumstances and attire, both of which can be manipulated. To make this comparison also trivializes the circumstances in which the legislation was passed. The permissive attitude regarding race discrimination extended far beyond storefronts to nearly every facet of life. Recognizing that discrimination exists in various forms does not justify excusing it in any form.
    Ok, so if the reason I am being made into a second class citizens is because of things that can be manipulated, then its ok to be made a second class citizen in that instance? The fact is that the law cannot change people's attitudes. Societal morality cannot be legislated.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  10. #30
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    the question is.... do public accommodation laws, which are passed by governments composed of people who feel they have moral authority, override the right to property as our founders state we have.

Page 3 of 198 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •