View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 29 of 198 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #281
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by M_A View Post
    what if a big business like say Chick Fil-A said that they won't serve black people or gays tomorrow and forever... Well, they would then force their employees to kick out any black or gay people that came in for food even though that employee might hate what they are doing.
    I understand your argument if that was taking place in the 1950s. But in the 21st century that would be the worst business decision ever. Chick Fil-A would go belly-up within a month.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  2. #282
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    I'm well aware that discrimination as a general concept exists in spades, but that in no way justifies excusing and tolerating it in all circumstances.
    No one said you have to tolerate it.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  3. #283
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    I do agree with Stossel, although I can see both sides. I am gay. I can imagine certain businesses saying we don't cater to gay people. But should I be able to force them to cater to me? I don't think I should be. Why would I want to give my money to people like that anyway? I would instead create an association of gay-friendly businesses and publicize it. Or create a list of all the companies that discriminate, and give them hell. Bring to light to discrimination that I think is wrong.
    Are you planning on having sex in their establishments?

    Do you have a badge that announces that you prefer to have sex with other members of the same gender?

    How the heck would anyone know that you are gay unless you tell them?

    The nice part about free markets is that you could, in fact, create an organization that seeks discounts from businesses in return for your customer drawing power. You could use it to your advantage.

  4. #284
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    Why are liberals so authoritarian, forcing people to do things they don't want to?
    Its' not about liberals it's about civilization. In a civilized world people cannot always behave the way they want too. That's what civilization means.

  5. #285
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Support public accomodations! Let the bigoted business owners stay in the dark about their beliefs and use your hard-earned money to get rich!
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

  6. #286
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by a351 View Post
    Absolutely not. Whether or not the businesses in question would have lost competitiveness or eventually went bankrupt is entirely speculatory and irrelevant. Putting into law the principle that no man should be treated as a second class citizen simply because of appearance was a necessary and long overdue measure.
    Well, how do you deal with the fact that I am treated as a second class citizen by my government every single day? I am white. I am male. I am married. I pay lots of taxes. My government despises me and treats me as a cash cow.

  7. #287
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Yeah, I guess I am an enabler of free speech as well.
    And freedom of religion.
    And virtually every other freedom we have. I'm such an enabler.
    You did not address my analogy ... would you also enable the pedophile to have the freedom to practice pedophilia?
    Both are equally bad.
    If you truly believed that you could not come down on either side of the CRA.
    You have taken a position that indicates that you do not believe that they are equally bad.
    How I feel about someone does not give me the right to take away their freedom of association with the force of law behind me.
    Then how can you possibly take the position that would enable Jim Crow laws to return?
    At this point, he does harm to another.
    ...and at the point where the racist practices racial discrimination he has taken away the rights of blacks to chose where they would like to do business. That is harm to those individuals ...like it or not.
    Maybe a small few would, but really... With so many other places, why does it matter, besides not accepting other people's views?
    We are not talking about "not accepting people's views" we are talking about not accepting the color of their skin. If you can't see the difference you have to be purposely obtuse.
    Lead by example then, rather than force of race baiting.
    'Tis you who are taking the position of the racist, and baiting the discussion.
    I find most are liberal authoritarians who love to keep blacks underprivileged, so they have a political cause for power.
    You make it sound like denying blacks equal rights has no political power. What of racist authoritarians who loved racial discrimination laws because it gave them political and social power over an entire race? That's OK with you ,eh? Ever heard of George Wallace ?
    We have little tolerance for those who punish the many over the sins of a few.
    Have you flown on an airplane in the last twelve years?
    ... you are part of the problem, by requiring the force of law to support your views.
    No, we require the force of law to to support the freedom of millions of Americans who would be denied the freedom to do business anywhere as is guaranteed under the constitution.
    I wouldn't like it in some aspect, but I know upfront that the employer is an idiot ...
    ...and you would be fine with the fact that say, a liberal democrat was paid more for the same job you do just because of your political affiliation? Bull! You would be pissed off that your rights were impinged on.
    I thought this discussion was about just part of the act. Not the whole of it...
    It is the heart and legs of the Act.
    But in the 21st century that would be the worst business decision ever. Chick Fil-A would go belly-up within a month.
    Not if every bigot and racist were to double their patronage as they have demonstrated their willingness to do.
    Last edited by Buck Ewer; 06-22-13 at 03:16 PM.

  8. #288
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoist View Post
    I understand your argument if that was taking place in the 1950s. But in the 21st century that would be the worst business decision ever. Chick Fil-A would go belly-up within a month.
    Maybe so but that would not stop others from capitalizing on hatred and creating Hate clubs that discriminate openly, making a mockery of the bill of rights.

  9. #289
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,366

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Well, how do you deal with the fact that I am treated as a second class citizen by my government every single day? I am white. I am male. I am married. I pay lots of taxes. My government despises me and treats me as a cash cow.
    You mean you despise the govt. That's a very different thing.

  10. #290
    Sage
    Geoist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    9,903

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    For those who agree with Paul and Stossel, if YOU could get away with it legally, which groups would YOU discriminate against, and why?

    Be honest.

    (My spidey-sense tells me no one will have the backbone to answer this.)
    Besides the fact that I judge people individually and not as groups, I wouldn't discriminate against ANY group because I want my business to be successful and prosper.
    "Men did not make the earth ... it is the value of the improvement only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds." -- Thomas Paine, Agrarian Justice
    http://www.wealthandwant.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •