View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 20 of 198 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #191
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Again, I disagree that such an edict doesn't constitute aggression. If a person says, "You must trade with whom I say and if you don't I will come and seize you and put you in a cage", to me that constitutes aggression. Again, perhaps it would help to look at how aggression is described in the Wiki article on the non-aggression principle.
    But that isn't what is being said. You exaggerate. What's being said is if you enter the market, you will follow the rules set forth. One of those is non discrimination. If you tone down the exaggeration, you might see the difference.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #192
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The non-aggression principle does not imply anarchy.
    It would help if you addressed what I actually said.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  3. #193
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It would help if you addressed what I actually said.
    I thought I did to the most part. I did however ignore this:

    You have to put things in context and not expect no fairness in the law.
    The reason being is that unless we are talking about equal protection under the law there is no basis for it.

  4. #194
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But that isn't what is being said. You exaggerate. What's being said is if you enter the market, you will follow the rules set forth. One of those is non discrimination. If you tone down the exaggeration, you might see the difference.
    Again I disagree. You are essentially saying, "If you choose to enter the market (which means that you choose to trade with other individuals), then we (I and other individuals) will establish a set of rules you must follow. If you disregard these rules, we will come and seize you and put you in a cage." To me, this certainly constitutes aggression.

  5. #195
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I thought I did to the most part. I did however ignore this:



    The reason being is that unless we are talking about equal protection under the law there is no basis for it.
    Certainly I think there is a Bit of equal protection in this. People fought for the right to sit at the counter so to speak.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #196
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Again I disagree. You are essentially saying, "If you choose to enter the market (which means that you choose to trade with other individuals), then we (I and other individuals) will establish a set of rules you must follow. If you disregard these rules, we will come and seize you and put you in a cage." To me, this certainly constitutes aggression.
    It comes with rules and almost always has. And breaking rules has always had consequences (though jail usually isn't it, so you exaggerate yet again).

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    It comes with rules and almost always has. And breaking rules has always had consequences (though jail usually isn't it, so you exaggerate yet again).
    I'm saying that one person making rules for another person and threatening that person IS aggression. How can you claim that it is not. If I tell you that I insist you do X, and I threaten you with aggression if you disobey, how can that possibly be seen as ethical?

  8. #198
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    I'm saying that one person making rules for another person and threatening that person IS aggression. How can you claim that it is not. If I tell you that I insist you do X, and I threaten you with aggression if you disobey, how can that possibly be seen as ethical?
    It's not one person, it's us as a people. It's no a threat, it's the way cooperative living is achieved. If it wasn't so sad, such whining hyperbole would be funny.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Certainly I think there is a Bit of equal protection in this. People fought for the right to sit at the counter so to speak.
    That is twisting logic on its face, throwing it on the ground and raping it until it dies. No one before this law came to pass except the business owner had a right to sit at that counter and get service and after such a law the property owner no longer could control access towards his property. All the government did was step on the business owners rights to force him to provide others service. There is no point of this that has to do with equal protection under the law. Stop making stuff up.
    Last edited by Henrin; 06-21-13 at 09:13 PM.

  10. #200
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    That is twisting logic on its face, throwing it on the ground and raping it until it dies. No one before this law came to pass except the business owner had a right to sit at that counter and get service and after such a law the property owner no longer could control access towards his property. All the government did was step on the business owners rights to force him to provide others service. There is no point of this that has to do with equal protection under the law. Stop making stuff up.
    And they abused that badly. Like most laws, they come about in reaction to something. In this case, it was fought for due to very hateful behavior.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •