View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 173 of 198 FirstFirst ... 73123163171172173174175183 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,730 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #1721
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    If I drive 10 miles on the promise you made to serve me (OTTP) and you don't, then you have indeed harmed me just as much as if you'd stuck your hand in my pocket and taken my money. This is why false and misleading advertising is illegal.
    I disagree that I have damaged your body or your property.

    A quick Google search can save you that sort of inconvenience.

  2. #1722
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    I disagree that I have damaged your body or your property.

    A quick Google search can save you that sort of inconvenience.
    You've cost me money, plain and simple. May as well have reached into my pocket and took it for yourself, especially if you happen to own a gas station, too.


    So lying about your services is perfectly acceptable and legal?!? I'm glad I live in the Real World instead of your Fantasy Land!
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  3. #1723
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    You've cost me money, plain and simple. May as well have reached into my pocket and took it for yourself, especially if you happen to own a gas station, too.
    I disagree. The store owner did not damage your body or any of your property. The fact that you decided to drive somewhere and ask to do business when you get there is your problem.

    So lying about your services is perfectly acceptable?!? I'm glad I live in the Real World instead of your Fantasy Land!
    No, lying is not acceptable. Who is lying?

  4. #1724
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    I disagree. The store owner did not damage your body or any of your property. The fact that you decided to drive somewhere and ask to do business when you get there is your problem.

    No, lying is not acceptable. Who is lying?
    You are if you're advertising as OTTP. Obviously, if you discriminate you're not OTTP or I wouldn't have wasted my time and money. Like I said, open a private (non-OTTP) business and be a bigot all you want. If you're OTTP then serve me as you promised to do.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  5. #1725
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    You are if you're advertising as OTTP. Obviously you're not OTTP or I wouldn't have wasted my time and money. Like I said, open a privater business and be a bigot all you want. If you're OTTP then serve me as you promised to do.
    Well, sure. If the the store advertises that they will do business with all comers, then I can see you point. But if they don't advertise that, then you'd be best to inquire or use yelp or google to find out their terms before you go out of your way.

  6. #1726
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Well, sure. If the the store advertises that they will do business with all comers, then I can see you point. But if they don't advertise that, then you'd be best to inquire or use yelp or google to find out their terms before you go out of your way.
    It is assumed that a business is OTTP because most of them are. If you're not OTTP then you're the one out of step and should advertise as such, just as private clubs do. No reason 49 businesses should have to specifically advertise OTTP when only 1 need advertise non-OTTP.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  7. #1727
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    It is assumed that a business is OTTP because most of them are. If you're not OTTP then you're the one out of step and should advertise as such, just as private clubs do. No reason 49 businesses should have to specifically advertise OTTP when only 1 need advertise non-OTTP.
    I can't see making a person trade with someone with whom they don't want to trade. A shopkeeper should be able to turn away anyone they want for any reason.

    But now I'm unsure of something. How does a shopkeeper advertise that he is "open to the public". And, however he does so, would you be satisfied if the shopkeeper simply refrained from doing so.

  8. #1728
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    I can't see making a person trade with someone with whom they don't want to trade. A shopkeeper should be able to turn away anyone they want for any reason.
    Even if they're lying to get everyone they can into their store? That's called False Advertisement and it's illegal - by your own admission, even in your skewed world.


    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    But now I'm unsure of something. How does a shopkeeper advertise that he is "open to the public". And, however he does so, would you be satisfied if the shopkeeper simply refrained from doing so.
    Since most businesses are OTTP they don't, exactly (though anything saying "open", including times of businesses, can be construed to mean that unless there's a caveat saying otherwise, just like private clubs do now). Businesses advertise with the common understanding that all businesses are OTTP unless otherwise stated. If it turns out that more businesses are private establishments then I'd assume things would be different and OTTP businesses would start advertising as such.


    But I would have no problem with everyone assuming all business owners are bigots unless they state otherwise.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #1729
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Even if they're lying to get everyone they can into their store? That's called False Advertisement and it's illegal - by your own admission, even in your skewed world.
    It's only false advertising if they explicitly say that they will do business with all comers. If you assume they do, then that's on you.

    Since most businesses are OTTP they don't, exactly (though anything saying "open", including times of businesses, can be construed to mean that unless there's a caveat saying otherwise, just like private clubs do now). Businesses advertise with the common understanding that all businesses are OTTP unless otherwise stated. If it turns out that more businesses are private establishments then I'd assume things would be different and OTTP businesses would start advertising as such.


    But I would have no problem with everyone assuming all business owners are bigots unless they state otherwise.
    So a shop merely needs to not have a sign that says "OPEN"? And then you would be okay with them having control over with whom they do business?

  10. #1730
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    It's only false advertising if they explicitly say that they will do business with all comers. If you assume they do, then that's on you.

    So a shop merely needs to not have a sign that says "OPEN"? And then you would be okay with them having control over with whom they do business?
    In the Real World it's assumed by everyone.
    In your Fantasy Land I'm sure the non-bigots would be advertising themselves and being quite obvious about it since the bigots would be shunned by most people.


    If they're not inviting the public into their business (OTTP) then I could care less what they do inside their doors.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •