View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 168 of 198 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178 ... LastLast
Results 1,671 to 1,680 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #1671
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Simply engaging in trade harms no one,
    That's the biggest pile of crap I've seen yet. Businesses can harm everyone around them in various ways depending on the business and what's around it. For you to pretend otherwise is dishonest at best.

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    therefore it should not be a crime or forcibly prevented in any way.
    Therefore, it should be licensed and regulated.


    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    On the other hand, acts that harm other people should be legally recognized as crimes or torts.
    They are but you don't seem to like that system.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  2. #1672
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    That's the biggest pile of crap I've seen yet. Businesses can harm everyone around them in various ways depending on the business and what's around it. For you to pretend otherwise is dishonest at best.

    Therefore, it should be licensed and regulated.

    They are but you don't seem to like that system.
    No victim; no crime.

    So tell me what sorts of harms you are talking about. I'm sure I'd agree that they are actionable. But I disagree with laws that make it a crime simply to operate a business.

  3. #1673
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    So it's perfectly OK for me to blast my stereo at 3 AM? Well, that's one less worry when I'm up at night!
    If you have enough land that it doesn't disturb your neighbor or you can contain it to your property sure. Otherwise you are infringing on another's rights and no it's not okay.
    From the ashes.

  4. #1674
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    I was treating it as an LLC, which is what I've seen most in my profession.
    But the laws apply universally so they apply to the individual as well as the defined LLCs or Corps.

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    But since you introduced the tax code:

    Does Joe get to deduct "business expenses" like the rental/mortgage on the business property?
    What about the utilities of the business?
    How about the equipment (and it's depreciation) the business needs to function?

    Now, does Joe get to deduct his personal rent/mortgage from his income?
    How about his personal utility bills?
    What about Joe's new personal washing machine and it's depreciation?

    Still seems like there's a difference between Joe and his business.
    Not according to the IRS as I have posted previously. If his business borrows 1 million dollars guess who has to pay it back? joe.
    From the ashes.

  5. #1675
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    Corporations can do pretty much anything that can be written in a contract as long as it's not illegal. What, specifically, is illegal about a corporation owning any amount of land it can acquire by buying, homesteading, etc? (This happened long ago when the area was first settled.) What, specifically, is illegal about said corporation having corporate rules, regulations, and covenants that "governs" the lands it owns? Is there some specific limit as to complexity of those corporate "laws"? What, specifically, is illegal about the adults living inside the corporate limits each holding one voting share? The only thing a corporation can't cover in a contract are the criminal aspects of it's "citizens". In America, only a government entity can imprison someone, so there would have to be a county sheriff and court to deal with those elements.

    You're quibbling when you have not apparently read the original posts on this hypothetical situation. I suggest you do so, again if needed, instead of jumping into the middle of something you apparently know nothing about.
    Nothing is wrong with any of those things. But you are presupposing the corporation owns all the land in the first place. If it does, everything you say is true. If it doesn't, then what you say is false. And in the case of government, it did not homestead or legally purchase the land it claims dominion over. That's the difference you keep ignoring.

    In the scenario everyone agreed to form the corporation. Your ignorance of the situation is showing again and, quite frankly, it's getting old.
    I don't indulge anarchist fantasies, so it's not irrelevant to me.
    Then there is no point to your scenario, because not everyone agreed to form the various governments that actually exist in the real world. Your hypothetical corporation scenario has no counterpart in reality. This discussion has nothing to do with anarchy, so stop bringing it up.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  6. #1676
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    As I've said, forcing Joe to jump through hoops prior to begin serving people food in his own diner on his own property is a violation of his liberty and is ethically unjustified. Such laws ought to be repealed. There is no justification for initiating violence against someone who has harmed no one.
    It's nothing of the kind. Not remotely.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #1677
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    You are missing that it's Joe, the individual business owner. Every hoop that gets jumped through is done by Joe. Everything that happens to the business is happening to Joe. Whether he agreed to it when he went into business isn't the issue. He had to agree to it or not be in business. The question is whether it's tyranny or an assault to liberty to make him do these things.
    Actually it's not. Joe has employees. He has customers. He has community concerns. It isn't just him.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #1678
    Professor
    Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    04-27-17 @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,782

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Actually it's not. Joe has employees. He has customers. He has community concerns. It isn't just him.
    Who has them? I just want to hear it again.
    From the ashes.

  9. #1679
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    Who has them? I just want to hear it again.
    Them?

    I will assume you meant "then." Really, no business. You would have to be a single person with no employees and no customers. Now, if it really is just you, no building, no employees, you could probably function quietly without to much concern, as you're not having too much effect on others. But that's your choice. No one is required to have employees or customers.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #1680
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    No victim; no crime.

    So tell me what sorts of harms you are talking about. I'm sure I'd agree that they are actionable. But I disagree with laws that make it a crime simply to operate a business.
    We already went through several of those.


    Depends on the kind of business. I believe there are some business endeavors that don't require a business license, though I could be wrong about that. It's been a long time since I looked into the specifics. However, if you have a place of business, as opposed to part-time use of a room in your home (and maybe a small amount of storage space), that's a different subject. That kind of license is there for many reasons, mostly to protect the people around the proposed business.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •