View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 13 of 198 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #121
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Rules we live by that aren't codified. Every society has them. They function much like you described.
    i think you would mean a moral fabric.

    there can be no rules /laws, which have no authority behind them, anyone or group trying to assert a power not placed within there powers, IE. federal state, or local....are setting themselves up as having powers over others.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Now that was hyperbolic. Just saying . . . ..
    I apologize, because I realize I misspoke. I said "For people to tell him how he must use his body". What I left off was that it is not a suggestion, but a command, a command accompanied by a threat. This threat is what constitutes an initiation of aggression.

    I apologize for leaving out that detail.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by 0bserver92 View Post
    I want to see actual proof and if he is paying 50% of his income in tax and complain about how expensive healthcare is does he know it pays into other things besides healthcare? If he is paying 50% he is either making a large amount of money where 50% generally doesn't hurt you or has the worst accountant in history or does not know anything his fiances at all.
    He pays 17% more than I do and none of my relatives have died waiting to have surgery. Case closed

  4. #124
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    i think you would mean a moral fabric.

    there can be no rules /laws, which have no authority behind them, anyone or group trying to assert a power not placed within there powers, IE. federal state, or local....are setting themselves up as having powers over others.
    But there are. The community exercises the authority, just as you described.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #125
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    I apologize, because I realize I misspoke. I said "For people to tell him how he must use his body". What I left off was that it is not a suggestion, but a command, a command accompanied by a threat. This threat is what constitutes an initiation of aggression.

    I apologize for leaving out that detail.
    Still hyperbolic. Merely saying you can't discriminate is not saying you have to even go into business at all. There is no command to do anything. only that if you enter into this arena, you can't discriminate. and there are many rules like this. No one is completely free. Nor is it a huge imposition.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #126
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Oh that's an easy one - he doesn't know about libertarianism. He thinks like every conservative and liberal - your ideals must be everyone's ideals, whether you want them or not.

    You're not entitled to your freedom. You're entitled to theirs.
    You're posturing is humorous (not really, but I'm being polite). If you've paid attention during the time we have interacted you would know that I'm neither conservative or liberal. If you've paid attention and are intellectually honest you would have never made that statement.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    You're posturing is humorous (not really, but I'm being polite). If you've paid attention during the time we have interacted you would know that I'm neither conservative or liberal. If you've paid attention and are intellectually honest you would have never made that statement.
    If you think that your viewpoint is an absolute and cannot fathom someone else's rights to conflict with it, you're a partisan on one side or the other.

    Saying that a business owner has no right to serve who he wants, when he wants, is denying someone a right. Saying that anyone who disagrees with that is defending their own bigotry is disingenuous...at best. There are probably more accurate words to describe it, but we'll leave it at that.

  8. #128
    Battle Ready
    Grim17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwestern U.S.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    24,136
    Blog Entries
    20

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I ran an identical poll almost three years ago, since DP has added a significant number of users I thought I would try it again.

    In May 2010 Rand Paul announced his candidacy for U.S. Senate from Kentucky on MSNBC's The Rachel Maddow Show. On the show he got into some trouble because he said he wouldn't support the "public accommodations" portion of the Civil Right Act of 1964.

    That led up to this confrontation with Megyn Kelly on Fox where he said he favors repeal of that part of the law.

    Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

    Yes
    No
    I don't Know

    Congratz Pete... This doesn't happen very often, but you have really put my beliefs to the test with this one... DAMNED YOU!

    As much as I despise affirmative action, racial quotas and government imposed morality, I'm going to have to disagree with Stossel on this one and oppose the repeal of the public accommodations portion of the Civil Rights law.

    Although I agree that in almost all cases, if a business was legally allowed, and did choose to discriminate against certain groups of people today, there would be a hell of a financial price to pay for doing so, therefore most would never choose to do such a thing.... But then there are the exceptions... If we were to do that now, it would not only serve to damage race relations in America and further divided us all, but it would also give power back to organizations like the KKK and the Black Panthers, that's civil rights legislation had taken away. They would be able pressure or strong arm businesses in certain communities or towns into only catering to "their kind" and we would see a return to segregated communities. Can you imagine what inner city gangs would do if they knew that businesses in their neighborhoods could legally deny service to rival gangs of another race? They would turn certain communities into Blacks only, Latinos only, Asians only, or whites only neighborhoods and do so by threat of violence or destruction of property... All small businesses would have to comply of go out of business, and corporate chains would be forced to relocate, further damaging poor inner city areas.

    I'm sorry, but this is one government intrusion that must remain in effect in order to keep racism and racial violence at least somewhat in check.

  9. #129
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Still hyperbolic. Merely saying you can't discriminate is not saying you have to even go into business at all. There is no command to do anything. only that if you enter into this arena, you can't discriminate. and there are many rules like this. No one is completely free. Nor is it a huge imposition.
    Correct. No one is completely free.

    Each person is the rightful owner of his own body and he may use it in any way as long as he don't use it to initiate aggression against others. Our freedom is limited in that we are NOT free to initiate aggression against others.

    The consequence of this is that I may not initiate aggression in order to force someone to interact with those with whom he does not wish to interact.

  10. #130
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,568

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbrauer View Post
    I ran an identical poll almost three years ago, since DP has added a significant number of users I thought I would try it again.

    In May 2010 Rand Paul announced his candidacy for U.S. Senate from Kentucky on MSNBC's The Rachel Maddow Show. On the show he got into some trouble because he said he wouldn't support the "public accommodations" portion of the Civil Right Act of 1964.

    That led up to this confrontation with Megyn Kelly on Fox where he said he favors repeal of that part of the law.

    Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?
    I'm a little mixed on this issue. I used to take the hardliner libertarian stance where anybody should be able to discriminate for any reason, but I've come to recognize that I think our country is far better off with this law.

    I would like to make a clarification that it should only apply to businesses, not individuals.
    IE: Joe can refuse to hire ethnic lawn mowers for his house.
    vs
    Joe's public restaurant, Joe's Burgers, can not discriminate against workers or patrons.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •