View Poll Results: Should the public accommodations portion of the law be repealed?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    64 52.03%
  • No

    56 45.53%
  • I don't know

    3 2.44%
Page 118 of 198 FirstFirst ... 1868108116117118119120128168 ... LastLast
Results 1,171 to 1,180 of 1973

Thread: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

  1. #1171
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    History doesn't make anything right. Unless you want to argue the historical mistreatment of women in the Middle East and its continuance today makes that right, or that the totalitarianism of North Korea that has resulted from history makes it right, and so on. That is the worst argument in defense of anything I have ever read.
    But it does. It explains how we got here, and the how demonstrates why this is right. And you do better by avoiding the hyperbole others have thrown out. Over exaggeration doesn't strengthen an argument. There no such totalitarianism here.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #1172
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But it's not. There are many rules must follow when they open a business. Not discriminating is but one. Sorry, but you're wrong on this.
    Yes, we know the rule exists. That's what we're talking about here. We're saying that the rule is unjust because it violates the rights of the owner to control his own property. That is the point of contention. If a person cannot exclude someone from his property, then he cannot be said to be the exclusive owner.

  3. #1173
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    And that rule is a violates the property right of the business owner. If a person cannot exclude someone from his property, then he cannot be said to be the exclusive owner.
    I'm sorry, but it doesn't. It's a stretch of logic. To say it does.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #1174
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    But it does. It explains how we got here, and the how demonstrates why this is right. And you do better by avoiding the hyperbole others have thrown out. Over exaggeration doesn't strengthen an argument. There no such totalitarianism here.
    Sorry, your argument that "just because it happened means it is right" is absurd. Otherwise you can justify the mistreatment of women in the middle east on historical grounds.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  5. #1175
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Sorry, your argument that "just because it happened means it is right" is absurd. Otherwise you can justify the mistreatment of women in the middle east on historical grounds.
    That's not exactly the argument. The arguement is that history explains it. We saw the damage of such discrimination. The rights violated there supersede the bigots right. And no, your hyperbolic example is not remotely the same.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  6. #1176
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    I'm sorry, but it doesn't. It's a stretch of logic. To say it does.
    Do you want to offer any actual argument to back up your statement, or are you going to stick with, "Nuh-uh" as your response?

    Once again If a person cannot exclude someone from his property, then he cannot be said to be the exclusive owner.

  7. #1177
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    That's not exactly the argument. The arguement is that history explains it. We saw the damage of such discrimination. The rights violated there supersede the bigots right. And no, your hyperbolic example is not remotely the same.
    Nobody has a right to make use of someone else's private property. You are arguing against full private property rights. Period. You cannot slice it any other way. It was nice talking to you, but at this point this back and forth is pointless.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  8. #1178
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Do you want to offer any actual argument to back up your statement, or are you going to stick with, "Nuh-uh" as your response?

    Once again If a person cannot exclude someone from his property, then he cannot be said to be the exclusive owner.
    I have. It is not property rights to discriminate against race or gender or religion. You opened up business to th public. It's not your home. It's a business open to the public. Period.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  9. #1179
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Nobody has a right to make use of someone else's private property. You are arguing against full private property rights. Period. You cannot slice it any other way. It was nice talking to you, but at this point this back and forth is pointless.
    If you open it up to the public, you choose to enter into this social and legal proposition in which you don't discriminate.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  10. #1180
    Mixed Government advocate
    Master PO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    93,000,000 miles from Earth where its very Hot
    Last Seen
    11-30-17 @ 01:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    31,331

    Re: Do You Agree with John Stossel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Courts disagree.
    oh, where is the court ruling you have a right to be served?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •