View Poll Results: Should the sadistic billionaire's offer be legal?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    17 50.00%
  • No.

    17 50.00%
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 229

Thread: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by DashingAmerican View Post
    Uneven playing fields aren't illegal.
    Prostitution is illegal. We aren't defining what is/isn't illegal, we're debating what we think ought to be and why.

  2. #72
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,705

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I like extreme scenarios because they paint black-and-white pictures, and force you to figure out where you stand on the issue.

    Should one person be able to pay another person to deliberately harm themselves?
    Ever watch Jackass? Youtube? hell, people are doing it for free.

    Its precisely because you only offer the 'extreme' as your cited example that makes your point...non.

  3. #73
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Whereas I think that no person should have the power, regardless of their wealth, to cause someone else to deliberately harm themselves. Nobody should be allowed to improperly influence another human being in such a way.
    People have the right to harm themselves or put themselves in harms way if they choose to do so. If somebody offered me 1 million dollars if I cut off my small toe, I would do it. And if you tried making that illegal, you would be the one trying to control me--not the guy offering me the money. You don't have a right to make choices illegal that you yourself wouldn't make. What you subjectively think is not objective truth. Period.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  4. #74
    Civil Libertarian
    DashingAmerican's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    08-31-17 @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,357

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Prostitution is illegal. We aren't defining what is/isn't illegal, we're debating what we think ought to be and why.
    And I established what I think should be legal.
    If you strike me down, I'll become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

  5. #75
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    This is in direct response to the "should prostitution be legal" thread, and is intended to make you think. It surprises me how many of you answered "yes" to the question, this in spite of all the data which shows prostitutes suffer from a variety of diseases and psychological disorders - including heightened suicide rates - as a direct result of their profession.

    Therefore, you are saying it's OK to pay someone to harm themselves as long as both parties are consenting. Fine, but how far are you willing to take this logic?

    Here is a hypothetical question, answer it "yes" or "no."



    Suppose a sadistic billionaire went around offering poor people a million dollars each to have their eyes removed. The procedure would be carried out by a licensed plastic surgeon, under sedation, in a certified medical facility. Should that be legal? Both parties are consenting.

    What if the sadistic billionaire offered one of your parents, or your adult children, and they accepted? Should that be legal?

    What if the sadistic billionaire offered someone high on drugs, or a heavily addicted drug addict? What if they offered the elderly, or mentally impaired?

    Is it simply a case of two consenting adults involved in a financial transaction, or is there more to it? Is the sadistic billionaire taking advantage of the poor person's problems?
    It would be immoral and illegal for any doctor to participate in such a twisted plan.

    I also think it should be illegal, legal adult prostitution cannot be compared to people paying for other people to disfigure themselves for money.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  6. #76
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,984

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    This, along with prostitution, should be illegal.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    It would be immoral and illegal for any doctor to participate in such a twisted plan.

    I also think it should be illegal, legal adult prostitution cannot be compared to people paying for other people to disfigure themselves for money.
    It seems to me it would be better if a doctor was involved. Not only would be it safer, but it would be easier to confirm consent.

  8. #78
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It seems to me it would be better if a doctor was involved. Not only would be it safer, but it would be easier to confirm consent.
    but no doctor would do such a thing because it is illegal and might get him disqualified as a doctor (or at least I would hope it would cause him/her to be thrown out of the profession).
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    People have the right to harm themselves or put themselves in harms way if they choose to do so. If somebody offered me 1 million dollars if I cut off my small toe, I would do it. And if you tried making that illegal, you would be the one trying to control me--not the guy offering me the money. You don't have a right to make choices illegal that you yourself wouldn't make. What you subjectively think is not objective truth. Period.
    The hypothetical wasn't about a small toe, it was about eyeballs. What if someone paid you two million to take your leg at the knee? You would offer your small toe because you don't need it.

    There are people in this world desperate enough to sell things that they do need.

    There are parents in India who sell their children for food. They don't do this because they want to, they do it because they are desperate.

    If you can't see desperation as part of the human condition, that simply speaks to your naivete. Libertarians are only to be found in the most pampered regions of the world, where destitution is not a reality.

    Why do you suppose that is? Perhaps because the idea that we are all on equal footing, transacting as consenting adults, is a naive and narrow worldview that could only be espoused by the most privileged among us?

  10. #80
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Prostitution is organ trading of the third kind.

    So much for "owning your own body"....can't sell it, can't sell parts, can't put some fun stuff in it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    So is prostitution. Yet most seem to think that law is wrong.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •