View Poll Results: Should the sadistic billionaire's offer be legal?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    17 50.00%
  • No.

    17 50.00%
Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 229

Thread: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

  1. #111
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    No, I want to control and limit the offers that a sicko can make with his money.
    Which has the effect of prohibiting people from accepting those offers. So you are controlling and limited the decisions of both the rich man and the man on the streets. And I don't want to live in a society where self-righteous people like you think that they have the authority and the "duty" to make everyone conform to their ideal way of living.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #112
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    A million bucks to amputate your penis.
    Im starting to think you are just airing a strange fetish.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Which has the effect of prohibiting people from accepting those offers. So you are controlling and limited the decisions of both the rich man and the man on the streets. And I don't want to live in a society where self-righteous people like you think that they have the authority and the "duty" to make everyone conform to their ideal way of living.
    Hey, cool it with the name-calling OK?

    We have a difference of opinion. I can see the libertarian viewpoint, I simply disagree with it. I believe that every transaction, deal, or agreement is made with a tilted, or uneven playing field. This is because one dollar to you is not worth the same as one dollar to me. At some point, when that playing field becomes VERY tilted or VERY uneven, we have an obligation to step in and control such transactions.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Im starting to think you are just airing a strange fetish.
    If that's an attempt to embarrass me, it won't work. Good try though.

  5. #115
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,607
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    This is in direct response to the "should prostitution be legal" thread, and is intended to make you think. It surprises me how many of you answered "yes" to the question, this in spite of all the data which shows prostitutes suffer from a variety of diseases and psychological disorders - including heightened suicide rates - as a direct result of their profession.

    Therefore, you are saying it's OK to pay someone to harm themselves as long as both parties are consenting. Fine, but how far are you willing to take this logic?

    Here is a hypothetical question, answer it "yes" or "no."



    Suppose a sadistic billionaire went around offering poor people a million dollars each to have their eyes removed. The procedure would be carried out by a licensed plastic surgeon, under sedation, in a certified medical facility. Should that be legal? Both parties are consenting.

    What if the sadistic billionaire offered one of your parents, or your adult children, and they accepted? Should that be legal?

    What if the sadistic billionaire offered someone high on drugs, or a heavily addicted drug addict? What if they offered the elderly, or mentally impaired?

    Is it simply a case of two consenting adults involved in a financial transaction, or is there more to it? Is the sadistic billionaire taking advantage of the poor person's problems?

    This is an irrelevant and foolish counter to the question of legalizing prostitution. However, the answer is "yes" to all.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    This is in direct response to the "should prostitution be legal" thread, and is intended to make you think. It surprises me how many of you answered "yes" to the question, this in spite of all the data which shows prostitutes suffer from a variety of diseases and psychological disorders - including heightened suicide rates - as a direct result of their profession.

    Therefore, you are saying it's OK to pay someone to harm themselves as long as both parties are consenting. Fine, but how far are you willing to take this logic?

    Here is a hypothetical question, answer it "yes" or "no."



    Suppose a sadistic billionaire went around offering poor people a million dollars each to have their eyes removed. The procedure would be carried out by a licensed plastic surgeon, under sedation, in a certified medical facility. Should that be legal? Both parties are consenting.

    What if the sadistic billionaire offered one of your parents, or your adult children, and they accepted? Should that be legal?

    What if the sadistic billionaire offered someone high on drugs, or a heavily addicted drug addict? What if they offered the elderly, or mentally impaired?

    Is it simply a case of two consenting adults involved in a financial transaction, or is there more to it? Is the sadistic billionaire taking advantage of the poor person's problems?
    I could see there being contention on the last part, wherein one may not be in proper facility to strike contract. But other than that, yeah you should be free to sell your eyes if you really want to.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  7. #117
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    02-18-14 @ 08:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    5,660

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by FreedomFromAll View Post
    Human organ trade is illegal.
    Again as in the other thread, why should it be illegal to sell anything you can give away for free?

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    This is an irrelevant and foolish counter to the question of legalizing prostitution. However, the answer is "yes" to all.
    Why is it irrelevant and foolish? Please enlighten us.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    I could see there being contention on the last part, wherein one may not be in proper facility to strike contract. But other than that, yeah you should be free to sell your eyes if you really want to.
    Read thru the rest of the thread. I already shot down the libertarian argument.

  10. #120
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Hey, cool it with the name-calling OK?

    We have a difference of opinion. I can see the libertarian viewpoint, I simply disagree with it. I believe that every transaction, deal, or agreement is made with a tilted, or uneven playing field. This is because one dollar to you is not worth the same as one dollar to me. At some point, when that playing field becomes VERY tilted or VERY uneven, we have an obligation to step in and control such transactions.
    I'm not name calling. Thinking that you know what is best for people and what choices they should or shouldn't make requires an awful lot of self-righteousness. And to me that is incredibly offensive. But if calling you out for what you are bothers you, I will stop, and I apologize if my language offended you.

    Who has conferred you with this obligation? How do you know when the playing field is objectively "too uneven?" What if the poor man begged you to let him cut out his eyes for money. Would you let him? It is people who limit the choices individuals can make that are creating an uneven playing field. By subjecting everyone else to your opinions, you right off the bat put your own choices above theirs, claiming the moral high-ground.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •