View Poll Results: Should the sadistic billionaire's offer be legal?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

    17 50.00%
  • No.

    17 50.00%
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 229

Thread: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

  1. #91
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The hypothetical wasn't about a small toe, it was about eyeballs. What if someone paid you two million to take your leg at the knee? You would offer your small toe because you don't need it.

    There are people in this world desperate enough to sell things that they do need.

    There are parents in India who sell their children for food. They don't do this because they want to, they do it because they are desperate.

    If you can't see desperation as part of the human condition, that simply speaks to your naivete. Libertarians are only to be found in the most pampered regions of the world, where destitution is not a reality.

    Why do you suppose that is? Perhaps because the idea that we are all on equal footing, transacting as consenting adults, is a naive and narrow worldview that could only be espoused by the most privileged among us?
    Who cares what the hypothetical are about? A hypothetical foot model would need his or her small toe, so probably wouldn't take my previous hypothetical offer. Ok, so what? Different people will take different offers and agree to different things--its all subjective. Which is ironic, since you are the one who wants to force everyone to make the choices you think are objectively right.

    So what if people are desperate? I'm desperate for $1 million to the degree I am willing to sacrifice other things for $1 million. Your appeal to desperation doesn't change anything. If I am starving in the street, about to die, and I am offered a million bucks to cut off my leg or gouge out my eyes, I'd probably do it. By making that illegal you are killing me. You are the control freak who doesn't want people to be able to make their own choices. If someone thinks cutting off their leg and becoming rich is better than the other options, that is their decision to make--not yours. You have no right to prohibit them from choosing the option they subjectively view as best.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  2. #92
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,619

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    This is in direct response to the "should prostitution be legal" thread, and is intended to make you think. It surprises me how many of you answered "yes" to the question, this in spite of all the data which shows prostitutes suffer from a variety of diseases and psychological disorders - including heightened suicide rates - as a direct result of their profession.

    Therefore, you are saying it's OK to pay someone to harm themselves as long as both parties are consenting. Fine, but how far are you willing to take this logic?

    Here is a hypothetical question, answer it "yes" or "no."



    Suppose a sadistic billionaire went around offering poor people a million dollars each to have their eyes removed. The procedure would be carried out by a licensed plastic surgeon, under sedation, in a certified medical facility. Should that be legal? Both parties are consenting.

    What if the sadistic billionaire offered one of your parents, or your adult children, and they accepted? Should that be legal?

    What if the sadistic billionaire offered someone high on drugs, or a heavily addicted drug addict? What if they offered the elderly, or mentally impaired?

    Is it simply a case of two consenting adults involved in a financial transaction, or is there more to it? Is the sadistic billionaire taking advantage of the poor person's problems?
    I don't see your scenarios as 'logic'. there is a vast difference from renting a woman's vagina and taking her eyes. Between using a surrogate mother and buying her kid without any screening or oversight. You can give your baby up for adoption, you can ask for 'expenses' to be covered, but you can't auction your baby nor put it on Craigslist.

    This borders on the 'if gays get to marry then what stops men from marrying goats' sort of flawed logic.

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Ewwww. Gross.
    Attachment 67149195Attachment 67149196

    Now, do you understand? Only one of these 2 choices seems to arouse my mighty manhood. Which one shall I choose - you get the other one. I forgot to mention that one is $500 and the other....$20 dinner at MacDonalds.

    The thing is, they're not objects, those are two photos of people. No offense, but what does it do to that young girl's self esteem when she realizes she has to sleep with a 69 year old man to make rent, or supply her drug habit?

    You're helping to destroy someone's life so that you can get your rocks off, and that's just wrong.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by notquiteright View Post
    I don't see your scenarios as 'logic'. there is a vast difference from renting a woman's vagina and taking her eyes. Between using a surrogate mother and buying her kid without any screening or oversight. You can give your baby up for adoption, you can ask for 'expenses' to be covered, but you can't auction your baby nor put it on Craigslist.

    This borders on the 'if gays get to marry then what stops men from marrying goats' sort of flawed logic.
    I'm not having this turn in to a debate about gays. If you want that, turn to about 10,000 other threads here on DP.

    People sell their children illegally, people prostitute themselves illegally.

    Obviously there is a difference in extremity between taking someone's eyes and taking their self-esteem. That's why I put the price of someone's eyes at a million bucks, while the price of a lay is I guess, according to speckle, from $20 to $500 depending on how much the girl thinks she's worth. However, both are harmful.

    I will have to look up the statistics, but since we know prostitutes kill themselves at a rate 40 times higher than the average person, my guess would be that amputees kill themselves at about the same rate. Would have to check though.

  5. #95
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Let me tell you about Sonia's self-esteem. Sonia is the younger one.

    She is a professional actress. Everything I say fascinates her. My member is just the right size. I'm awesome and the best lover she ever had. In return, she has to spend one hour with me and make more than a MacDonalds worker makes in a week of 8 hour days. Sonia has more money than I do.

    Her self-esteem is just fine, bordering on arrogance I suspect.

    Don't confuse professional escorts with slave girls. I wouldn't use a slave girl - I'd call the cops.

    Most people don't love their jobs. Sonia loves hers. So I'm old and wrinkled. So what? She closes her eyes and thinks of Justin Beiber (or something like that). Just as you do when you're not that excited about your date (not Justin Beiber but you know what I mean).





    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The thing is, they're not objects, those are two photos of people. No offense, but what does it do to that young girl's self esteem when she realizes she has to sleep with a 69 year old man to make rent, or supply her drug habit?

    You're helping to destroy someone's life so that you can get your rocks off, and that's just wrong.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakryte View Post
    Who cares what the hypothetical are about? A hypothetical foot model would need his or her small toe, so probably wouldn't take my previous hypothetical offer. Ok, so what? Different people will take different offers and agree to different things--its all subjective. Which is ironic, since you are the one who wants to force everyone to make the choices you think are objectively right.

    So what if people are desperate? I'm desperate for $1 million to the degree I am willing to sacrifice other things for $1 million. Your appeal to desperation doesn't change anything. If I am starving in the street, about to die, and I am offered a million bucks to cut off my leg or gouge out my eyes, I'd probably do it. By making that illegal you are killing me. You are the control freak who doesn't want people to be able to make their own choices. If someone thinks cutting off their leg and becoming rich is better than the other options, that is their decision to make--not yours. You have no right to prohibit them from choosing the option they subjectively view as best.
    It has nothing to do with me or my rights. We, as a society, have a duty.... not a right.... to protect the vulnerable.

    None of us want to live in a society where you have sickos willing to pay people to chop off limbs for fun. Thus, we legislate against it (it is illegal, BTW).

  7. #97
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    We are talking about a situation where it legal to consent to have your eyes removed to sell them. There is reason to bar doctors from doing the operation in that situation.
    what law or government would allow doctors to break the hippocratic oath in such a blatant manner?
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  8. #98
    Guru
    Lakryte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    06-02-17 @ 01:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    2,982

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    It has nothing to do with me or my rights. We, as a society, have a duty.... not a right.... to protect the vulnerable.

    None of us want to live in a society where you have sickos willing to pay people to chop off limbs for fun. Thus, we legislate against it (it is illegal, BTW).
    And by protect the vulnerable you mean control and limit their decisions. I would rather live in a society where people can be paid to have their limbs chopped off and make their own choices than a society where moral busybodies like you make things they don't agree with illegal.
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."
    "When we live authentically we create an opportunity for others to walk out of their dark prisons of pretend into freedom."

  9. #99
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,014

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    You are paying someone to harm themselves. That's the analogy.
    sex is not meant to hurt each other, cutting someones eyes out is.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  10. #100
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: Moral question (don't click if you're squeamish)...

    You got that 40 times rate from rapeis.org and if you pose the question on google you'll get 100 different answers. I call BS on this - it's just agenda statistics - just like the claim that 13 is the starting age.

    I've met many escorts and they were well over 13. No doubt there are child prostitutes in countries like Thailand but its not the case here. You can always find a horror story but that doesn't make everyone on the same par. For most women, it's profitable and satisfying. I know one girl who is just turning 50 and she owns more San Francisco real estate than Larry Ellison does (maybe). She loves her job - she meets all kinds of interesting men and travels all over the world.

    You're confusing young crack whores with Escorts and Courtesans. I consider myself very moral and ethical and I love Escorts and what they do for me.



    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I'm not having this turn in to a debate about gays. If you want that, turn to about 10,000 other threads here on DP.

    People sell their children illegally, people prostitute themselves illegally.

    Obviously there is a difference in extremity between taking someone's eyes and taking their self-esteem. That's why I put the price of someone's eyes at a million bucks, while the price of a lay is I guess, according to speckle, from $20 to $500 depending on how much the girl thinks she's worth. However, both are harmful.

    I will have to look up the statistics, but since we know prostitutes kill themselves at a rate 40 times higher than the average person, my guess would be that amputees kill themselves at about the same rate. Would have to check though.

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •