View Poll Results: Should traditional gender and marriage roles be taught in school?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes(please explain why)

    16 27.59%
  • No(please explain why)

    38 65.52%
  • Other/Don't know

    4 6.90%
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 228

Thread: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

  1. #71
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    It teaches them to learn and express their individuality while fitting into society, not countering society. They must learn to discipline themselves in order to do this. If they don't, you can end up with a society that puts more of it's citizens in prison than any other country in the world, say, kind of like the US today.

    As for costs, perhaps you are not aware of how it works in Japan. During the school year, you see the students out in their uniforms throughout the day, not may in other clothing. It actually reduces costs this way. Also, they have limited suppliers of the uniforms with uniform quality.

    Because if kids do not receive and learn discipline at home, then they need another teacher. It would be great if parents actually fulfilled their roles. But, have you seen much evidence of this being widespread in the last 50 years?
    Exactly how is wearing clothes that you find enjoyable to wear "countering society"? How does one acquire discipline if they must perform an action because the alternative is legal repercussions? I don't smoke pot, not because I'm disciplined, but because it's illegal. I don't study, not because it's illegal, but because I lack discipline. If it were illegal for me not to study, and I faced certain repercussions if I did not study, then I would study. Not because I have disciplined myself to study, but because I HAVE to study. Requiring students to wear clothes or face repercussions does nothing for discipline, it merely adds another superfluous rule that does nothing but inhibit self-expression. For some people, clothing is a PASSION, and suddenly they will be deprived of pursuing that passion because of some misguided attempt to make students more obsequious.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  2. #72
    Advisor SassySmartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    528

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I guess I just find it sexist when an institution assumes that I'm predisposed to be a "breadwinner" and pushes me in that direction. If I was a girl, that assumes I'm predisposed to finish high school and marry my quarterback boyfriend immediately or go to college for the specific reason of finding a husband.

    What would happen to girls in a classroom that purports and emphasizes "gender roles"? I'm envisioning something along the lines of lessons in etiquette, household chores, and something akin to "cotillion".

    Slightly insulting.
    More than slightly insulting if you ask me. Never mind the fact that traditional sexist gender roles are harmful to both men and women and cause all sorts of conflict when a person of either gender prefers not to follow the traditionalist role. They're also awfully limiting. I know many men, like you who cook, clean and are great parents, nurturing and fulfill similar "roles" that traditionally are thought of as women's roles. They find it quite insulting to have caring and nurturing children to be "women's work" and their kids are just as bright and loving and well-adjusted as kids whose dads go to work and moms stay home.
    “Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul--Walt Whitman"

  3. #73
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by SassySmartie View Post
    More than slightly insulting if you ask me. Never mind the fact that traditional sexist gender roles are harmful to both men and women and cause all sorts of conflict when a person of either gender prefers not to follow the traditionalist role. They're also awfully limiting. I know many men, like you who cook, clean and are great parents, nurturing and fulfill similar "roles" that traditionally are thought of as women's roles. They find it quite insulting to have caring and nurturing children to be "women's work" and their kids are just as bright and loving and well-adjusted as kids whose dads go to work and moms stay home.
    What can I say? I'm a Renaissance Man.

  4. #74
    Advisor SassySmartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    528

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I don't really think it does anymore. One of the few bright points of the two-income household that's almost necessary these days is that it unconsciously destroys these notions of gender roles. One can sit there all they want and think that your job is to go get the paycheck and the woman's role is to manage the kids and household. However, when that check you're bringing home doesn't put the bacon in the pan for her to fry, it pretty much destroys that ever-fragile psyche that thinks a man does this and a woman does that.
    Beyond that, there are more and more studies that show that households with a more egalitarian view on division of labor in the home have happier marriages that last longer. Since most young people are getting married older (late 20s to mid 30s for first marriages) both men and women have established themselves professionally and work together to support the household, including domestic duties.
    “Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul--Walt Whitman"

  5. #75
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?
    Who gets to decide what is traditional? A female principal might not be considered "traditional". Should we fire all female school administrators so that they can go home and serve their husbands and raise the kids? Not exactly sure how we are supposed to teach the differences between gender roles when very few people can seem to clearly articulate exactly what those are. Even Gingrey only insinuates that there are differences, he doesn't specifically state what those differences may be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

  6. #76
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,586
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Absolutely not.

    Finally women are at a place where they can freely work toward their passion, a career, a family, or both. They do NOT need to be told in elementary school, as I was, that daddies go to work and mommies stay home with the children... which is why I couldn't go to college until I was far enough along in adulthood to afford it myself, because my parents weren't going to "waste" money sending the girls to college when only the boys would use the education for something other than finding a spouse.

    Sometimes I think the GOP so misses the 1950's that it is trying to legislate this country back to where it was socially 60 years ago, when uppity women and minorities knew their places!

    We need to be letting our little girls AND little boys know that they can grow up to be anything they want to be, if they work hard enough to achieve their dreams. We do NOT need to be telling them, "these are the things little girls can do when they grow up, and these are the things little boys can do when they grow up."

    Bah!
    Last edited by DiAnna; 06-19-13 at 11:14 PM.

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Absolutely not.

    Finally women are at a place where they can working toward their passion, a career, a family, or both. They do NOT need to be told in elementary school, as I was, that daddies go to work and mommies stay home with the children... which is why I couldn't go to college until I was far enough along in adulthood to afford it myself, because my parents weren't going to "waste" money sending the girls to college when only the boys would use the education for something other than finding a spouse.

    Sometimes I think the GOP so misses the 1950's that it is trying to legislate this country back to where it was socially 60 years ago, when uppity women and minorities knew their places!

    We need to be letting our little girls AND little boys know that they can grow up to be anything they want to be, if they work hard enough to achieve their dreams. We do NOT need to be telling them, "these are the things little girls can do when they grow up, and these are the things little boys can do when they grow up."

    Bah!
    I also think it's important that schools stay out of raising our children. They need to concentrate on educating the children, reading, writing and arithmetic.

  8. #78
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Absolutely not.

    Finally women are at a place where they can working toward their passion, a career, a family, or both. They do NOT need to be told in elementary school, as I was, that daddies go to work and mommies stay home with the children... which is why I couldn't go to college until I was far enough along in adulthood to afford it myself, because my parents weren't going to "waste" money sending the girls to college when only the boys would use the education for something other than finding a spouse.

    Sometimes I think the GOP so misses the 1950's that it is trying to legislate this country back to where it was socially 60 years ago, when uppity women and minorities knew their places!

    We need to be letting our little girls AND little boys know that they can grow up to be anything they want to be, if they work hard enough to achieve their dreams. We do NOT need to be telling them, "these are the things little girls can do when they grow up, and these are the things little boys can do when they grow up."

    Bah!


    My mother and two of her seven sisters went to college in the late 1940s. It was a little unusual then, but not remarkably so. IIRC she majored in business administration.

    She worked for a few years as secretary (these days they'd say executive assistant) to a business owner... and when she left her boss literally cried and begged her not to go... his biz had never ran so smoothly before.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Absolutely not.

    Finally women are at a place where they can freely work toward their passion, a career, a family, or both. They do NOT need to be told in elementary school, as I was, that daddies go to work and mommies stay home with the children... which is why I couldn't go to college until I was far enough along in adulthood to afford it myself, because my parents weren't going to "waste" money sending the girls to college when only the boys would use the education for something other than finding a spouse.

    Sometimes I think the GOP so misses the 1950's that it is trying to legislate this country back to where it was socially 60 years ago, when uppity women and minorities knew their places!

    We need to be letting our little girls AND little boys know that they can grow up to be anything they want to be, if they work hard enough to achieve their dreams. We do NOT need to be telling them, "these are the things little girls can do when they grow up, and these are the things little boys can do when they grow up."

    Bah!
    You're getting too emotional, sweetheart. Now be a good girl and go bake me a pie.


  10. #80
    Sage
    CriticalThought's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    18,121

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I also think it's important that schools stay out of raising our children. They need to concentrate on educating the children, reading, writing and arithmetic.
    This is an utterly nonsensical idea. It has never been true, never will be true, and never should be true. Humans beings are naturally cultural animals. We teach each other about our beliefs, attitudes, and values just by interacting with one another in our day to day lives. The only way you are going to ONLY teach children about "reading, writing, and arithmetic" is if you lock them away from every other student and their teachers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The economy will improve under this bill. If a few people die, it will be for the betterament of this country.

Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •