View Poll Results: Should traditional gender and marriage roles be taught in school?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes(please explain why)

    16 27.59%
  • No(please explain why)

    38 65.52%
  • Other/Don't know

    4 6.90%
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 228

Thread: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    I think in RI, they cancelled the Father-Daughter dance because of political correctness. I'll try to find a link.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Your story is from Canada. You keep trying and keep failing.
    That's fine if you don't feel the point is completely relevant, but I made the points.

    First, that to teach "traditional" gender roles (mother and father) are going to wind up being considered along hate-speech because the concept detracts from those that do not conform to those traditions.

    The same logic that changed "merry christmas" to "happy holidays" is going to prevail as it always seems to happen.

    Then I made the points that this is going on in France and is an idea that's spreading...

    What was your point again?

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Here it is. Apparently it violates some gender discrimination law, which I find utterly ridiculous. I don't have a problem with "family dances" as suggested which would include everyone, but still to do away with the Father-Daughter Dance is kind of crappy IMO.

    R.I. school: Father-daughter dance violates law - CBS News

  4. #64
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    What could possibly be disciplinary about wearing the same clothes? It's not discipline, it's a superfluous requirement of conformity and a desire for optimum organization. What about the families that can barely afford regular clothes, and now must purchase new school uniforms every year? I enjoy mixing and matching clothes, and I always wear something lax that's comfortable. Would a uniform be comfortable, no. You see discipline, I see organization, I see some deranged attempt to create a more egalitarian and monochromatic environment. What good is a school uniform, if kids don't receive discipline where it's most needed, at home?
    It teaches them to learn and express their individuality while fitting into society, not countering society. They must learn to discipline themselves in order to do this. If they don't, you can end up with a society that puts more of it's citizens in prison than any other country in the world, say, kind of like the US today.

    As for costs, perhaps you are not aware of how it works in Japan. During the school year, you see the students out in their uniforms throughout the day, not may in other clothing. It actually reduces costs this way. Also, they have limited suppliers of the uniforms with uniform quality.

    Because if kids do not receive and learn discipline at home, then they need another teacher. It would be great if parents actually fulfilled their roles. But, have you seen much evidence of this being widespread in the last 50 years?
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  5. #65
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:00 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,299

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    GOP lawmaker: Teach grade-school classes on traditional gender roles - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room



    So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?

    No. I think it should be taught at home. In my opinion, homosexuality is a psychological circumstance, not genetic and there are no credible papers suggesting that homosexuality is genetic. I tell my children that and suggest that they learn to tolerate homosexuals because there are a lot of them around. I don't want them in a supervisory role with my children, whether it be school, church, ag, scouts, etc. because they tend to state absolutely that gay is genetic and imply that there is nothing wrong with it. Well, I think its wrong wiring and should be acknowledged as such. That doesn't mean gays are bad, just a deviation.

  6. #66
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,517

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Set aside politics for a minute...the things school systems do...like father - daughter dances being discriminatory, change Christmas to Holidays...etc. Think how a teacher or teachers who have different values, beliefs, traditions than your own...might cause a bit of confusion for your kids from teacher to teacher...and from elementary school, to middle school, and high school.

    I think that parents need to ask themselves a simple question: "Do I want other people teaching my kids their values, their beliefs, their traditions.

    In other words...

    Should values, beliefs (religion, etc), and traditions that your families (mother's, dads, single mom's, single dad's...etc) have been carried forward by generations... that you feel is important...be minimized, criticized, or substituted with other values, beliefs, and traditions by someone that you don't have a personal relationship with?

    If you kid comes home and says, "Mommy, daddy...my teacher said you are stupid people because you believe in the bible." "Mommy, daddy...my teacher said its okay for boys to kiss boys and girls to kiss girls and be in love." "Mommy, daddy...my teacher said you're going to a bad place when you die because you say the lord's name in vain." "Mommy, daddy...my teacher says that gay people are really bad and need to be put in jail." "Mommy, daddy...my teacher says Christmas is bad because people lied about Jesus being god's son. "Mommy, daddy...my friends at school said that sometimes it's okay for me to put candy in my pocket at the store and not pay for it. "Mommy, daddy...my friends at school say people who aren't our color is trying to take our country away from us."

    Now take all of the examples above...and reverse their meanings. That could be possible from teacher to teacher, school level to school level.

    By the time a kid gets through high school...their minds will be ****ed up as a chinese fire drill. Ooooops. I can't say "chinese fire drill". I mean "asian fire drill". Hmmmmmm, wait I can't say that either...that's being a bigot. No...it's okay as long as I don't say "slant eyed chinese or asian. Uh oh...noooo, nooo, I can't say that because my teacher said ....yadda, yadda,..

    To me...that's like saying to your kid:

    Go away kid...listen to your teachers and school friends...I don't have time for your nonsense!

    Let the schools stick with educating your kids with things like..Washington chopped down a cherry tree. Washington's father asked him, "Son, did you chop down the cherry tree?" Washington replied, "Oh hell no, dad...I wouldn't do **** like that!"

  7. #67
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    I have voted no, male chauvinism (or better known was the good old times) has run it's course. Women are just as qualified to do all the things men are good at. Men should no longer be taught or be made to believe that the little woman should be home barefoot and pregnant, cleaning and cooking up a storm.

    Men should work, bring home the bacon and not much more. A bit of dabbling in the yard, fixing the odd thing here and there and should not have to do any of these icky women's tasks. That is the traditional gender role and it has to end.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Set aside politics for a minute...the things school systems do...like father - daughter dances being discriminatory, change Christmas to Holidays...etc. Think how a teacher or teachers who have different values, beliefs, traditions than your own...might cause a bit of confusion for your kids from teacher to teacher...and from elementary school, to middle school, and high school.

    I think that parents need to ask themselves a simple question: "Do I want other people teaching my kids their values, their beliefs, their traditions.

    In other words...

    Should values, beliefs (religion, etc), and traditions that your families (mother's, dads, single mom's, single dad's...etc) have been carried forward by generations... that you feel is important...be minimized, criticized, or substituted with other values, beliefs, and traditions by someone that you don't have a personal relationship with?

    If you kid comes home and says, "Mommy, daddy...my teacher said you are stupid people because you believe in the bible." "Mommy, daddy...my teacher said its okay for boys to kiss boys and girls to kiss girls and be in love." "Mommy, daddy...my teacher said you're going to a bad place when you die because you say the lord's name in vain." "Mommy, daddy...my teacher says that gay people are really bad and need to be put in jail." "Mommy, daddy...my teacher says Christmas is bad because people lied about Jesus being god's son. "Mommy, daddy...my friends at school said that sometimes it's okay for me to put candy in my pocket at the store and not pay for it. "Mommy, daddy...my friends at school say people who aren't our color is trying to take our country away from us."

    Now take all of the examples above...and reverse their meanings. That could be possible from teacher to teacher, school level to school level.

    By the time a kid gets through high school...their minds will be ****ed up as a chinese fire drill. Ooooops. I can't say "chinese fire drill". I mean "asian fire drill". Hmmmmmm, wait I can't say that either...that's being a bigot. No...it's okay as long as I don't say "slant eyed chinese or asian. Uh oh...noooo, nooo, I can't say that because my teacher said ....yadda, yadda,..

    To me...that's like saying to your kid:

    Go away kid...listen to your teachers and school friends...I don't have time for your nonsense!

    Let the schools stick with educating your kids with things like..Washington chopped down a cherry tree. Washington's father asked him, "Son, did you chop down the cherry tree?" Washington replied, "Oh hell no, dad...I wouldn't do **** like that!"
    Totally agree. This is not supposed to be the role of the school.

  9. #69
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,517

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Totally agree. This is not supposed to be the role of the school.
    thanks, Chris...

    We need to be careful who we allow to teach our children personal values, beliefs, and traditions. Kids really are gullible and vulnerable.

  10. #70
    Advisor SassySmartie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-12-13 @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    528

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    GOP lawmaker: Teach grade-school classes on traditional gender roles - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room



    So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?
    That idea is scary for so many reasons!
    “Re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul--Walt Whitman"

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •