View Poll Results: Should traditional gender and marriage roles be taught in school?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes(please explain why)

    16 27.59%
  • No(please explain why)

    38 65.52%
  • Other/Don't know

    4 6.90%
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 228

Thread: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

  1. #51
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    They are children. Discipline is what the need to meet goals and challenges in life. That discipline will help the succeed and be something, "freedom" to express themselves through their clothes gets them nothing useful to their lives.

    Freedom of expression through clothing and the right amount of change will get you a cup of coffee.
    Discipline and the right amount education/intelligence can get you almost anything you desire in life.
    What could possibly be disciplinary about wearing the same clothes? It's not discipline, it's a superfluous requirement of conformity and a desire for optimum organization. What about the families that can barely afford regular clothes, and now must purchase new school uniforms every year? I enjoy mixing and matching clothes, and I always wear something lax that's comfortable. Would a uniform be comfortable, no. You see discipline, I see organization, I see some deranged attempt to create a more egalitarian and monochromatic environment. What good is a school uniform, if kids don't receive discipline where it's most needed, at home?
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  2. #52
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?
    What we need to do is teach curriculum with no deviation. Everything else should be left for the parents to decide.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  3. #53
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    I guess in this context 'traditional' roles means Victorian. They ain't traditional. You just have to go back a little further to discover that the nuclear family, strict male/female role delineation et al are actually far from traditional; they're rather modern ideas barely 150 years old.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  4. #54
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I guess in this context 'traditional' roles means Victorian. They ain't traditional. You just have to go back a little further to discover that the nuclear family, strict male/female role delineation et al are actually far from traditional; they're rather modern ideas barely 150 years old.
    I think he was probably more thinking 1950's America. Pretty similar though.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    NO. I don't even think parents should teach traditional gender roles, much less schools. Those roles are obsolete and only deserve mention in history classes. Birth control and modern appliances and technology made them obsolete and they were never as universal as some people fantasize.

    Every individual should be free to decide for themselves the roles that they will play in their lives.
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 06-19-13 at 09:03 PM.

  6. #56
    Global Moderator
    Moderator
    Helix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:11 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,124

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    GOP lawmaker: Teach grade-school classes on traditional gender roles - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room



    So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?
    i think it's important to explain the whole spectrum without promoting any one sexual identity over the another. i asked my parents what "gay" meant when i was six, and i got a full, honest, and unbiased answer. i think that's the way to go.

  7. #57
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    No. I don't think we need to be teaching kids about gender roles at all, whether traditional or otherwise. And I don't think it would do anything at all to reduce the divorce rate in the country.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Last Seen
    01-03-16 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,761

    Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Well, no it would not be hate speech, and no one is proposing in the US what France is doing. Can we stay in the real world please?
    This is the real world and the idea is spreading...

    http://m.now.msn.com/school-replaces...odern-families

    You don't get it, it is hateful to use mother and father because it discriminates against those who cannot be mothers or fathers because of their orientation.

    Listen, I wish this wasn't going on... What you figured those pushing for political correctness would just stop at what was reasonable??

    Noooo, you don't get it, this is about telling people what is and is not ok to say or talk about.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    GOP lawmaker: Teach grade-school classes on traditional gender roles - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room



    So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?
    I think we shouldn't have to "teach" them anything. Just let them be and develop naturally.

  10. #60
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:38 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,344
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by BmanMcfly View Post
    This is the real world and the idea is spreading...

    School replaces Mother's Day, Father's Day out of respect for modern families

    You don't get it, it is hateful to use mother and father because it discriminates against those who cannot be mothers or fathers because of their orientation.

    Listen, I wish this wasn't going on... What you figured those pushing for political correctness would just stop at what was reasonable??

    Noooo, you don't get it, this is about telling people what is and is not ok to say or talk about.
    Your story is from Canada. You keep trying and keep failing.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •