View Poll Results: Should traditional gender and marriage roles be taught in school?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes(please explain why)

    16 27.59%
  • No(please explain why)

    38 65.52%
  • Other/Don't know

    4 6.90%
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 228

Thread: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

  1. #31
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,893
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    So what traditional roles would they be taught? This **** is ****ing vague.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  2. #32
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Absolutely, it would solve a lot of problems in this country. The Feminist Movement set us back in morality as women were no longer in the home, Father's are also a problem because they are non-existent in children's lives a lot of the time.
    What exactly is immoral about egalitarianism and equality of opportunity?
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Sigh..no.

    The word tradition has nothing to do with my argument. Each part of what makes traditional roles as we know them today have a history and its important to consider the history before simply deciding if something is sexist or not. Much of it changed over time on how people thought of it and today many people feel much of it brings forth the strengths of each member of the relationship to make for a stronger home for the child. There is really nothing sexist about that, Gipper. Is it perhaps misguided? I couldn't say, but it's not sexist.
    I guess I just find it sexist when an institution assumes that I'm predisposed to be a "breadwinner" and pushes me in that direction. If I was a girl, that assumes I'm predisposed to finish high school and marry my quarterback boyfriend immediately or go to college for the specific reason of finding a husband.

    What would happen to girls in a classroom that purports and emphasizes "gender roles"? I'm envisioning something along the lines of lessons in etiquette, household chores, and something akin to "cotillion".

    Slightly insulting.

  4. #34
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Gina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    31,962

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Absolutely, it would solve a lot of problems in this country. The Feminist Movement set us back in morality as women were no longer in the home, Father's are also a problem because they are non-existent in children's lives a lot of the time.
    Set us back in morality? Would you mind explaining how?
    I don't attack my constituents. Bob is my constituent now.
    This is the important stuff. We canít get lost in discrimination. We canít get lost in B.S. We canít get lost tearing each other down. I want to make a point here that no matter what you look like, where you come from, how you worship, who you love, how you identify, and yeah, how you run, that if you have good public policy ideas, if you are well qualified for office, bring those ideas to the table, because this is your America, too. This is our commonwealth of Virginia, too.
    Danica Roem - The nation's first openly transgender person elected to serve in a U.S. state legislature.

  5. #35
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,360
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I wish it wasn't necessary, but since many modern mothers and fathers have all but abandoned their parental roles in shaping the character and minds of their offspring it seems some body has to fill the vacuum. That doesn't mean that stereotypes should be taught or promoted, but it does mean that young people need some help in understanding what it means to be a responsible and respected man or woman in civilized society.
    The bolded...isn't that kinda completely different than gender roles? Where do gender roles and "responsible and respected" coincide?
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  6. #36
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    ...
    So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?
    What does it mean “to teach traditional gender roles”?
    And how are you going to do that w/o tell a lot of children they are coming from bad families?

  7. #37
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I guess I just find it sexist when an institution assumes that I'm predisposed to be a "breadwinner" and pushes me in that direction. If I was a girl, that assumes I'm predisposed to finish high school and marry my quarterback boyfriend immediately or go to college for the specific reason of finding a husband.

    What would happen to girls in a classroom that purports and emphasizes "gender roles"? I'm envisioning something along the lines of lessons in etiquette, household chores, and something akin to "cotillion".

    Slightly insulting.
    Not to mention that most gender roles are archaic. Women cleaned the house because men worked in the fields. For whatever reasons, the stigma of housewife seems to carry on.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Not to mention that most gender roles are archaic. Women cleaned the house because men worked in the fields. For whatever reasons, the stigma of housewife seems to carry on.
    I don't really think it does anymore. One of the few bright points of the two-income household that's almost necessary these days is that it unconsciously destroys these notions of gender roles. One can sit there all they want and think that your job is to go get the paycheck and the woman's role is to manage the kids and household. However, when that check you're bringing home doesn't put the bacon in the pan for her to fry, it pretty much destroys that ever-fragile psyche that thinks a man does this and a woman does that.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    I guess I just find it sexist when an institution assumes that I'm predisposed to be a "breadwinner" and pushes me in that direction. If I was a girl, that assumes I'm predisposed to finish high school and marry my quarterback boyfriend immediately or go to college for the specific reason of finding a husband.
    I really don't think people that are pushing for traditional gender roles are focusing on the "stay at home mother" aspect.

    What would happen to girls in a classroom that purports and emphasizes "gender roles"? I'm envisioning something along the lines of lessons in etiquette, household chores, and something akin to "cotillion".
    They used to have a cooking class and even a class to learn how to sow in my high school. It was pretty much all girls in both classes. I really couldn't say what they are talking about though. They don't say on what roles they want to teach and how they want to teach them, so your guess is as good as mine there.

  10. #40
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,205

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    The bolded...isn't that kinda completely different than gender roles? Where do gender roles and "responsible and respected" coincide?
    In my post, I tried to indicate I didn't agree with promoting stereotypes - the old women cook, clean and pump out babies and men go to the office and watch sports on weekends. My idea of teaching "gender roles" was on where young people are mentored in what it means to be a responsible and respected man or woman in civilized society - caring for others, helping those less fortunate, being self-reliant and self-motivated, knowing right from wrong, standing up for what is right even when it's not easy, that kind of thing, and having strong male and female teachers who live those roles in their daily lives and convey that message to the children in how they act and treat the students and their fellow teachers every day.

    It's a little cliche I suppose and definitely dated, but the message conveyed by Sidney Poitier in "To Sir, With Love" should be timeless and unfortunately is thoroughly lost on today's youth.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •