View Poll Results: Should traditional gender and marriage roles be taught in school?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes(please explain why)

    16 27.59%
  • No(please explain why)

    38 65.52%
  • Other/Don't know

    4 6.90%
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 228

Thread: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

  1. #21
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    19,366

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Although I will say this, it should be the parent's first and foremost who are teaching their kids about gender roles and family and not the schools. In a perfect world this should be the case. However, I don't have a problem with schools stepping in and encouraging this or discussing it in social studies classes or in other applicable places.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It's a matter of history, not a matter of opinion, Gipper.
    Okay, yeah, I give you that - because of the word "tradition".

    However, just because something is "traditional", doesn't make it right or best. Lots of tradition in the world's past were needlessly cruel and abhorrent by today's standards and ethics.

  3. #23
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 10:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Absolutely.

    All schools should also have dress codes like either the Catholic schools or the Japanese schools.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #24
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,718

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Although I will say this, it should be the parent's first and foremost who are teaching their kids about gender roles and family and not the schools. In a perfect world this should be the case. However, I don't have a problem with schools stepping in and encouraging this or discussing it in social studies classes or in other applicable places.
    The thing is, though, once you see where little Stacie is going to be "programmed" into going, what she is going to be taught, in comparison with the boys, it's awfully prohibitive. The more explicit it is, the more restrictive their life can get.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

  5. #25
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    13,441

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Although I will say this, it should be the parent's first and foremost who are teaching their kids about gender roles and family and not the schools. In a perfect world this should be the case. However, I don't have a problem with schools stepping in and encouraging this or discussing it in social studies classes or in other applicable places.
    Wait, where would the school fall short on traditional gender teaching, such that the public school system would have to "step in" and encourage the traditional gender role? Did you mean exposing children to what gender roles are, and how varied they are, what the trends are, etc.? Or that they should specifically teach traditional marriage/gender roles?

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    The thing is, though, once you see where little Stacie is going to be "programmed" into going, what she is going to be taught, in comparison with the boys, it's awfully prohibitive. The more explicit it is, the more restrictive their life can get.
    Disagree. It's about gender roles, not life training. I doubt that it's encouraging women to abandon algebra and calculus, assuming that all the math a woman needs to know is the difference between a teaspoon and a tablespoon, or fractions so that they don't put 1/4 cup of flour in a recipe as opposed to 1/2.

    Gender role classes isn't cutting women off at the knees. They still have the same ceiling they would've had before.

  7. #27
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:24 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,386

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    GOP lawmaker: Teach grade-school classes on traditional gender roles - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room



    So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?
    I wish it wasn't necessary, but since many modern mothers and fathers have all but abandoned their parental roles in shaping the character and minds of their offspring it seems some body has to fill the vacuum. That doesn't mean that stereotypes should be taught or promoted, but it does mean that young people need some help in understanding what it means to be a responsible and respected man or woman in civilized society.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 02:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Okay, yeah, I give you that - because of the word "tradition".

    However, just because something is "traditional", doesn't make it right or best. Lots of tradition in the world's past were needlessly cruel and abhorrent by today's standards and ethics.
    Sigh..no.

    The word tradition has nothing to do with my argument. Each part of what makes traditional roles as we know them today have a history and its important to consider the history before simply deciding if something is sexist or not. Much of it changed over time on how people thought of it and today many people feel much of it brings forth the strengths of each member of the relationship to make for a stronger home for the child. There is really nothing sexist about that, Gipper. Is it perhaps misguided? I couldn't say, but it's not sexist.

  9. #29
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 08:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    Absolutely.

    All schools should also have dress codes like either the Catholic schools or the Japanese schools.
    Yes, because there isn't a single adolescent alive that enjoys expressing themselves through clothing.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  10. #30
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    27,718

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Disagree. It's about gender roles, not life training. I doubt that it's encouraging women to abandon algebra and calculus, assuming that all the math a woman needs to know is the difference between a teaspoon and a tablespoon, or fractions so that they don't put 1/4 cup of flour in a recipe as opposed to 1/2.

    Gender role classes isn't cutting women off at the knees. They still have the same ceiling they would've had before.
    It depends on what "teaching gender roles" actually means. If women were pre-programmed to take classes X, Y, Z during their formative years in adolescence, and males were to take courses A, B, C in their formative years as they had in the past, it is to develop a sense of life training. If semester and quarter plans include a step-by-step goal for what Stacie or Jimmy can do during these years, this furthers the intention.

    Hey, I'm just giving you what was actually done in the recent past, when they thought it was just natural.
    A message to both the Left and the Right. Ari Ne'eman-"People with disabilities deserve better than to be used as props in the country’s ongoing — and so far stalemated — arguments over gun control." https://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/201...-obama-liberty

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •