View Poll Results: Should traditional gender and marriage roles be taught in school?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes(please explain why)

    16 27.59%
  • No(please explain why)

    38 65.52%
  • Other/Don't know

    4 6.90%
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 228

Thread: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

  1. #211
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Goldsboro,PA
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 04:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,596
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    That this was introduced by a conservative shoots up a big red flag.
    Tradition is something that is in an ever changing flux....thius state leaves the slow learning conservatives in the dust of change.....even me ( I am slow and old)...
    But some things cannot ever change....and that, to me, includes marriage....both partners MUST work as a team....with love and respect being paramount...
    Moral values MUST be taught at both the home and the school....and everywhere...........as it is, now....more or less.....
    I voted "other"...

  2. #212
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    Looking at how dysfunctional nuclear families have become, it is that they gave people greater freedom without teaching them how to use it responsibly.

    Two people sharing their lives together can accomplish exponentially more (economically, socially, spiritually, etc) than most people can going it alone, but only if they develop an effective power-sharing scheme to keep the relationship stable.

    In the laws and cultural norms of elder days, power-sharing schemes were dictated by the world around you, assigned, among other ways, in the form of gender roles -- that is, learned behaviors that were ingrained into people based on differences of sex. It was harder for a spouse to step on another's toes during a marriage when there was less overlap in their obligations, thus less compulsion to separate.

    When large doses of egalitarianism changed that and gave people (especially women) more personal control over the nature of their relationships, it happened with an absence of knowledge of how to develop a power-sharing scheme.

    Consequently, half of marriages end in divorce and the rest limp through it.

    Which, among other problems, makes the tax benefits and incentives that apply to married couples a bit of a waste.
    Yes, but I suppose a marriage kept together with nothing but a necessity to keep someone who fulfills unwanted obligations is a great marriage.
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  3. #213
    Guru
    Morality Games's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Iowa
    Last Seen
    05-24-16 @ 10:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    3,733

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Yes, but I suppose a marriage kept together with nothing but a necessity to keep someone who fulfills unwanted obligations is a great marriage.
    Demonizing "unwanted" obligations is a slippery slope, one that has led irresponsibility so extreme that it is affecting every aspect of our society, from the way government functions to the economy.

    A moral person should not only want hard obligations (rejecting all help, even from those who love and support them), they should be reluctant to accept the benefits that came along with taking on those obligations.

    The fact they don't is why our nation is in decline. People are so self-absorbed and focused on their own pain the fact that they applied for the "free ride" of tax benefits without producing the desired results (two high functioning individuals producing social resources and children who will produce more resources when they grow up) is something that doesn't even occur to them to think about while filing their divorce.
    Last edited by Morality Games; 06-20-13 at 01:11 PM.
    If you notice something good in yourself, give credit to God, not to yourself, but be certain the evil you commit is always your own and yours to acknowledge.

    St. Benedict

  4. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Oh bite me.
    She could probably beat you up too.

  5. #215
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    MI and AZ
    Last Seen
    03-15-15 @ 01:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,581

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    Public schools should limit their instruction to academics, which many are failing to do as it is.
    To teach academics in a public school one needs the behavior of the students to allow teaching. The students come from backgrounds that may be traditional or new and not identical. But what is required is that they behave in a way that allows teaching of all the students. They need to be taught how to behave to allow teaching, including behavior at recess, that is proper. All the students must be treated as equals in this country. Traditional rolls differ depending on the family, tradition etc. Traditional rolls can be taught at home.
    Last edited by OhIsee.Then; 06-20-13 at 01:18 PM.

  6. #216
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    GOP lawmaker: Teach grade-school classes on traditional gender roles - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

    So, the question would be do you think we should teach a class similar to what Gingrey is suggesting, promoting traditional gender roles and marriage roles?
    Yes, but why in schools? Should the teaching not take place in homes?
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  7. #217
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    I only made it through the first three pages of this thread, so forgive me if I'm repeating something already said.

    'Gender' rolls weren't taught in school, and my parents didn't separate by gender either.

    We were raised all the same, we all cooked, cleaned, dragged the laundry bag downstairs for Mom, mowed the lawn and raked the leaves.

    Toys were whatever we asked for, and shared between us. No activity was separate because of gender. Friends of both genders were encouraged.

    The only differences were when puberty hit, and the 'talks' our parents would have with us. Once into our teens, we assumed different roles, but I'd say it was more likely from peer influence than anything else.

    I flinch when I see parents limiting/influencing a child based on gender, they miss so much that way.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  8. #218
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,213

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    No....teaching young girls that their role is X (and of course X is based on how "traditional" you wanna get) and little boys that Y is their role is just ridiculous.

    I know it's counter their beliefs but the 1950's aren't coming back. B
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  9. #219
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Enough "gender teaching" goes on outside of school already. Contrary to popular belief, children aren't stupid. They watch what's going on around them and do what most humans do to some extent or other, imitate what they see.


    If you want to teach this kind of thing save it for college sociology or psych class.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #220
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Teach Children Tradition Gender Roles?

    Quote Originally Posted by shlunka View Post
    Exactly how is wearing clothes that you find enjoyable to wear "countering society"? How does one acquire discipline if they must perform an action because the alternative is legal repercussions? I don't smoke pot, not because I'm disciplined, but because it's illegal. I don't study, not because it's illegal, but because I lack discipline. If it were illegal for me not to study, and I faced certain repercussions if I did not study, then I would study. Not because I have disciplined myself to study, but because I HAVE to study. Requiring students to wear clothes or face repercussions does nothing for discipline, it merely adds another superfluous rule that does nothing but inhibit self-expression. For some people, clothing is a PASSION, and suddenly they will be deprived of pursuing that passion because of some misguided attempt to make students more obsequious.
    Well, for one thing, I said their system INCLUDING that. Not that alone. So trying to discuss it as a stand alone is rather inaccurate.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •