1. Single payer 100% coverage for catastrophic
2/everything else cash/charity system
Catastrophic would cover such things as broken bones, prenatal care. Kids and elderly broader coverage such as must have immunizations, medical prescriptions, etc.
Cash would be for like visits to family doctors, scratches, bruises, flu, cosmetic surgery for vain purposes, laser eye surgery, abortions, birth control, etc.
As a Liberal would you support this compromise health bill where there is not full coverage like you may like as you will have to rely on charitable contribution to fund things like Planned Parenthood and for poor people to go on normal doctor visits, with the middle class and rich likely only having access to cosmetic surgery and other non emergency procedures, for exchange of having Conservative support for a single payer that 100% covers everything else.
As a Conservative would you overlook your abhorrence of government, and accept government health insurance already exists in the military, with politicians, Medicaid and Medicare, and pretty much the rest of the Western world, and this plan at least makes a cash system for non emergency health care so the emergency rooms and medical providers will not be crammed full because of "free" health care. Also you get the following benefits:
1. A huge cost of health care is the bureaucracy created to deal with myriads of insurance providers each with their own red tape regulations. A doctor posted on DP several years ago that in her clinic 75% of her employees deal solely with this. A single insurer and cash would have allowed her to eliminate a huge percentage of her costs.
2. A high percentage of health care costs are due to private health insurance companies having to pay shareholders dividends and have large advertising budgets to compete against the myriad of competitors out there. A public single payer does not charge profit or have to advertise.
3. Private insurers are for profit companies so they will always want to insure the young and healthy who don't really need insurance while those who really need it, they will always try and not cover.
4. It helps economic growth. Companies will no longer have to waste their time providing health insurance and can concentrate on real growth. Employees will no longer have to work at a job they may not like because that company has a better health care plan. So it adds much more fluidity to someone's career. If you have a pre-existing condition or over weight you will not have to worry about companies not hiring you because of the extra costs to their health care plans.
5. It helps economic growth part 2. All the employees currently working in the medical providers' bureaucracies that deal with multiple insurers as well as all the employees in the private health insurance industry will be freed up to work at something else which will eliminate inefficient bubbles in the economy and create greater GNP as they will create businesses or work in fields that create real wealth, which will increase gov. revenue as well as increase living standards across the board.
6. No one will have to worry about a serious illness in the family bankrupting you. There is no copay, no limits you have to worry about, no pre-existing condition worries.