View Poll Results: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cancel Thanksgiving

    3 4.23%
  • Cancel July 4th

    0 0%
  • Cancel both

    5 7.04%
  • Keep both

    63 88.73%
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 166

Thread: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

  1. #71
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    The only holiday we should eliminate is Christmas, because it privileges a particular religion. It can be replaced by the winter solstice, which is a multi cultural/religion celebration and close enough to Christmas for Christians to observe on that day. There is no factual, or even traditional basis for Christmas on December 25th.
    Christmas is meant to be all-inclusive with regard to federal holiday status. It's around the same time as Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and all those other pseudo-holidays. Therefore, you can spend the 25th and the surrounding days worshiping, believing, or doing whatever your heart desires.

    As stated before, no holiday flies in anyone's face. If you don't observe it, don't think about it. Only the most self-righteous and obsessive want to campaign against benevolent things that have negative detriment on no one.

  2. #72
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    The only holiday we should eliminate is Christmas, because it privileges a particular religion. It can be replaced by the winter solstice, which is a multi cultural/religion celebration and close enough to Christmas for Christians to observe on that day. There is no factual, or even traditional basis for Christmas on December 25th.
    That is another holiday turned from its original purpose to a holiday about food and stores cashing in . I think it maybe considered to important to our economy to get rid of yet since of all the sales and jobs that revolve around that particular holiday or else in our PC world it would gradually disappear .

  3. #73
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Christmas is meant to be all-inclusive with regard to federal holiday status. It's around the same time as Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, and all those other pseudo-holidays. Therefore, you can spend the 25th and the surrounding days worshiping, believing, or doing whatever your heart desires.

    As stated before, no holiday flies in anyone's face. If you don't observe it, don't think about it. Only the most self-righteous and obsessive want to campaign against benevolent things that have negative detriment on no one.
    That holiday is all in ones face ever seen all those Christmas specials on TV all the time but yet not another faiths , Like Hanukah as you have said never seen one . Christmas was never meant to be all inclusive it was to over shadow the romans holiday which in that time period , or the holiday would be in the spring , but now its all about ham and Santa clause as well as his elves so its cool .

  4. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Un biased View Post
    That holiday is all in ones face ever seen all those Christmas specials on TV all the time but yet not another faiths , Like Hanukah as you have said never seen one . Christmas was never meant to be all inclusive it was to over shadow the romans holiday which in that time period , or the holiday would be in the spring , but now its all about ham and Santa clause as well as his elves so its cool .
    So take it up with the populist media. The reason that they're Christmas specials is because America celebrates Christmas. If and when a significant portion of the country becomes Jewish or Muslim or whatever, you'll see an adjustment in the media-established celebrations.

    There's no reason for people to get pissy that most people don't observe what they observe. If you observe something besides Christmas, observe it and shut up. I don't observe Valentines Day since it's a Hallmark holiday designed to bilk men out of money and give it to greedy women that need third-party "proof" that their men love them enough to put up with them...but do you see me going door-to-door with a petition? No. Oh, and I know that VD is not a federal holiday, so don't bother mentioning it.

    If you don't observe Christmas, observe what you want and enjoy the couple days off. Frankly, I don't give a damn what other people like or don't like, and I don't feel like giving them a soapbox for it.

  5. #75
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    False. Get your facts straight before making statements like that.
    Well you did say it was in 1621 when in fact it was not so who is getting their facts wrong . Besides the bolded part of my statement isn't even a fact its something I put so you would not have to question my statement .

  6. #76
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,174

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    They need to stay. I don't see any reason to cancel either.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #77
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    So take it up with the populist media. The reason that they're Christmas specials is because America celebrates Christmas. If and when a significant portion of the country becomes Jewish or Muslim or whatever, you'll see an adjustment in the media-established celebrations.

    There's no reason for people to get pissy that most people don't observe what they observe. If you observe something besides Christmas, observe it and shut up. I don't observe Valentines Day since it's a Hallmark holiday designed to bilk men out of money and give it to greedy women that need third-party "proof" that their men love them enough to put up with them...but do you see me going door-to-door with a petition? No. Oh, and I know that VD is not a federal holiday, so don't bother mentioning it.

    If you don't observe Christmas, observe what you want and enjoy the couple days off. Frankly, I don't give a damn what other people like or don't like, and I don't feel like giving them a soapbox for it.
    As I said to Helix its those darn specials on TV . Its impossible to ignore Christmas with all those darn snowman . I was correcting you on the fact how it was not supposed to be all inclusive and was meant to overshadow other religious holidays . Your statement was incorrect on that matter . Christmas is so water down and with little religion anymore I think it cant offend certain groups of people anymore .
    Last edited by Un biased; 06-17-13 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Spell check be darned

  8. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    July 4th is offensive to minorities? How?

  9. #79
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Un biased View Post
    As I said to Helix its those darn specials on TV . Its impossible to ignore Christmas with all those darn snowman . I was correcting you on the fact how it was not supposed to be all inclusive and was meant to overshadow other religious holidays . Your stamen was incorrect on that matter . Christmas is so water down and with little religion anymore I think it cant offend certain groups of people anymore .
    Valentines Day is hard for me to ignore. All those Hallmark and candy commercials are forcing me to shell out to "prove" my love. Every time I hear the jingle, "Every kiss begins with Kay", I hear it as "give diamonds or no nookie for you". Should I take my case to Washington to demand that no more commercials or calendars remind me of that dreadful holiday?

    If you don't like Christmas or anything about it, oh well. Most people do, so you'll have to put up with it.

  10. #80
    Professor
    Un biased's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    05-30-16 @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,642

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Valentines Day is hard for me to ignore. All those Hallmark and candy commercials are forcing me to shell out to "prove" my love. Every time I hear the jingle, "Every kiss begins with Kay", I hear it as "give diamonds or no nookie for you". Should I take my case to Washington to demand that no more commercials or calendars remind me of that dreadful holiday?

    If you don't like Christmas or anything about it, oh well. Most people do, so you'll have to put up with it.
    As a few people in my family have put it as a holiday were you bribe your girlfriend or wife for sexual intercourse with expensive gifts . I want to know how to have all those snowman removed their very offensive to people who get very pale in the winter . I put up with it every year when prices of objects go up with their supposed " sales " with a nice slice of ham .

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •