View Poll Results: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cancel Thanksgiving

    3 4.23%
  • Cancel July 4th

    0 0%
  • Cancel both

    5 7.04%
  • Keep both

    63 88.73%
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 166

Thread: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

  1. #131
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Should the United States do away with Thanksgiving and the 4th of July as designated public holidays in favor of something more inline with changing demographics?

    I chalk up most of my nephews political views to being college age but over a weekend BBQ they seemed pretty adamant that some of our public (federally recognized) holidays were insensitive to minorities in this country. They seemed to view Thanksgiving and July 4th as particularly offensive.
    Nah, it's probably fine. If they were really that upset with it, they wouldn't have moved here.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  2. #132
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,917

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I thought the most masculine one was usually the "dad" figure.
    That's what you get for stereotyping.

  3. #133
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,193

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    That's what you get for stereotyping.
    How about the one that wears pants? Can she be the dad? Or at least Secretary of State?
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #134
    Global Moderator
    Truth will set you free
    digsbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Metro Washington DC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,985

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Here's a teenaged LGBT activist with two moms who apparently thinks Father's Day should be done away with because she's felt left out. Abby Bergman: Celebrating Father's Day With Two Moms
    It should be banned because it creates a state of confusion in the projects

  5. #135
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    It should be banned because it creates a state of national confusion in the projects

  6. #136
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Here's a teenaged LGBT activist with two moms who apparently thinks Father's Day should be done away with because she's felt left out. Abby Bergman: Celebrating Father's Day With Two Moms
    Well, if that's the case, then we would have to do away with Mother's Day too in case we offend those with two dads.

  7. #137
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,355

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    We're not yet that bad but we should be very thankful that Europe is going through a lot of the serious problems that we on this side of the Atlantic are only seeing in their infancy. We have the chance to wake up and correct things before it's too late - only question is, will we.
    Good evening, CJ.

    Forming the European Union wasn't well thought out, as we are witnessing. For one thing, we tend to think of ourselves as Americans, and not citizens of New York or Florida, or any other State. They tend to think of themselves as French or German or Italian first, for instance. One thing in our favor is that we don't have numerous forms of government here like they do in Europe. On the other hand, while our currency is the same for all the States, if the dollar should suffer a collapse, we don't have the option of reverting back to anything else, like the drachma, for instance. We'll all be destitute together if all you have is dollars.

    The problem Europe seems to be experiencing is that the wealthier countries are financing the poorer countries. We have basically the same situation here in the U.S. with higher income states paying more in taxes than they receive back, and yet we don't hear the grousing that we hear in Europe.

    So what should the EU do to correct their problem? They seem to be at a breaking point, so IMO, since there doesn't appear to be any easy solution, since they have already tried many different things that haven't worked, it will be interesting to watch what they eventually come up with! :

  8. #138
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    I don't believe we should do away with either holiday but I guess the thought process is that we're essentially celebrating the actions of what is seen as a single ethnicity, white.
    *Gasp!* The nerve of some people.



    This is what happens when society has too much time on it's hands.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #139
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,422

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Columbus Day is particularly weird because Columbus was objectively a failure in his efforts. The man thought he'd found The Indies because he grossly underestimated the size o the earth, despite the fact that th actual size of the earth was pretty well known by then.
    No, not really. This kind of point-of-view is just another example of diminishing the accomplishments of those who aren't trendy and politically correct.

    Given the knowledge and limited technology of the time, he succeeded in proving the world was not flat. Just because he didn't hit his expected goal exactly doesn't diminish that. Whether it be scientific experiments or exploration, expanding the known knowledge of the day is always a step forward.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #140
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:28 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,185

    Re: Should we cancel Thanksgiving and the 4th of July?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    Should the United States do away with Thanksgiving and the 4th of July as designated public holidays in favor of something more inline with changing demographics?

    I chalk up most of my nephews political views to being college age but over a weekend BBQ they seemed pretty adamant that some of our public (federally recognized) holidays were insensitive to minorities in this country. They seemed to view Thanksgiving and July 4th as particularly offensive.


    On the one hand, it is not my wish to malign relatives of yours.

    On the other hand, I desperately want to say that what they really need is a boot in the ass and a lecture about how they've apparently paid good money for an indoctrination instead of an education.


    Oops.... well now the cat is outta the bag....

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •