View Poll Results: Would you openly say you are proud to be American/nationality of your country?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I am American and very proud to be American, and I will gladly tell that everybody.

    26 24.53%
  • Yes, I am American and feel proud to be American, but I wouldn't boast with it..

    7 6.60%
  • Yes, I'm American and proud, but I also think many things could be improved about my country.

    31 29.25%
  • No. I'm American, but living here was not my achievement. So why should I be proud?

    16 15.09%
  • No, I'm American and way too many things are going wrong here.

    6 5.66%
  • Yes. I'm NOT American, but I'm proud to be citizen of my country.

    4 3.77%
  • Yes. I'm NOT American, but I'm proud, although I see room for improvement..

    4 3.77%
  • No. I'm NOT American, and being born here was not due to my efforts. Why being proud?

    4 3.77%
  • No. I'm NOT American, and my country sucks. No way to be proud.

    1 0.94%
  • other (please explain)

    7 6.60%
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 134

Thread: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

  1. #61
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    There are those who believe, as Cecil Rhodes did, that to be born an Englishman is to have won first prize in life's lottery. I'm not one of them. Being proud of the geography of one's birth seems a little silly to me; it's like being proud of the fact you have grey eyes. You might find it nice, you might find it unpleasant, but there's very little you can do to change it. Why take credit for achievements you had no part in realising? Why feel guilt for mistakes made years or centuries before your birth?
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  2. #62
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:23 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good evening, radcen.

    I believe that most people on this planet want what we do...the ability to raise their children in peace; access to clean water and sufficient food to survive; a government that is responsive to their needs; and the freedom to better themselves. It seems that the first thing people do when they are "liberated," is to have the right to vote. Since some countries have never known the concept of democracy, but only chaos or a dictatorship, they surprise us by voting for more of what they originally rebelled against, if we can believe what is reported! Go figure! Maybe time is the only answer......
    Excellent point, and I agree. I have long believed that the vast majority of people in the world simply want to have a decent life and to be left alone.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #63
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    I'm proud to be an American! We have our sins for sure, who doesn't, but overall has there been a better nation than ours? Our charity alone, I believe, ranks us above any country in history. We've liberated (or helped liberate) countries and set up democracies (Germany and Japan for example) and the world is a better place for it. Our ingenuity over the past couple hundred years is second to none. We have a great constitution and an incredible history of blood, sweat, and tears to not only establish this country (Revolutionary War) but to maintain it (Civil War).

  4. #64
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I am ashamed of our National policies, but in my youth I was a "blind patriot," and thought the USA was the savior of the world. Vietnam woke me up. We are not the good guys that the people think we are. We are Imperialists and resource thieves and have historically thrived on war. That is why we have a $700 billion Military Offense budget. I like living here except for the frustration of not being able to change the country's direction. I have accepted that the vast majority of the citizens have no clue what is going on. That's the beauty of the Forums because it is an opportunity to inform.
    You sound like a liberal to me.







    That's compliment.

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    I'm proud to be an American! We have our sins for sure, who doesn't, but overall has there been a better nation than ours? Our charity alone, I believe, ranks us above any country in history. We've liberated (or helped liberate) countries and set up democracies (Germany and Japan for example) and the world is a better place for it. Our ingenuity over the past couple hundred years is second to none. We have a great constitution and an incredible history of blood, sweat, and tears to not only establish this country (Revolutionary War) but to maintain it (Civil War).
    I agree that we handled our occupation of Japan and Germany well, probably because we learned lessons from how we treated Germany after WWI. (also both countries were finally ready to be compliant after having been bombed into full submission) However, almost every other place we intervened we did more damage than good.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good evening, radcen.

    . It seems that the first thing people do when they are "liberated," is to have the right to vote. Since some countries have never known the concept of democracy, but only chaos or a dictatorship, they surprise us by voting for more of what they originally rebelled against, if we can believe what is reported! Go figure! Maybe time is the only answer......
    You also noticed that, so have I.

  7. #67
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    Can you give an example?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    I agree that we handled our occupation of Japan and Germany well, probably because we learned lessons from how we treated Germany after WWI. (also both countries were finally ready to be compliant after having been bombed into full submission) However, almost every other place we intervened we did more damage than good.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good evening, radcen.

    I believe that most people on this planet want what we do...the ability to raise their children in peace; access to clean water and sufficient food to survive; a government that is responsive to their needs; and the freedom to better themselves. It seems that the first thing people do when they are "liberated," is to have the right to vote. Since some countries have never known the concept of democracy, but only chaos or a dictatorship, they surprise us by voting for more of what they originally rebelled against, if we can believe what is reported! Go figure! Maybe time is the only answer......
    Hey Polgara ... some things do take time ... we're still working on our "democracy," aren't we? But I'm afraid that as long as wealth is as poorly distributed as it is, the kind of fairness and goodness you and I want to see ain't gonna happen ... but this is a pretty good place to live, despite its faults, no? A lot of good people in this country, whether they're on the right or left ... unfortunately we pick the wrong ones to serve in D.C. ... we gotta get smarter that way ...

  9. #69
    Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    09-08-13 @ 02:07 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,655

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    Can you give an example?
    JC ... you responded to this post: Originally Posted by Hard Truth

    I agree that we handled our occupation of Japan and Germany well, probably because we learned lessons from how we treated Germany after WWI. (also both countries were finally ready to be compliant after having been bombed into full submission) However, almost every other place we intervened we did more damage than good.


    Anyway, I don't think this is a good way to talk about it. We don't know how it would've turned out. But let's take Guatemala in 1954, when we removed from power a democratically-elected President (Arbenz) and put in his place a military dictator and other dictators followed who killed 10s of thousands of people, mainly poor peasants for decades. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if Guatemala would've turned out worse (however you measure that) had we allowed the people of Guatemala to choose their President - What we did was wrong, disgusting, shameful, criminal ... we had no right to do that, and we did it much too often ... and we wonder why we're not universally loved ...

  10. #70
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    Re: Are you proud to be American/citizen of your country?

    I don't know much about this conflict, but did he have Communist ties? If so, the Monroe Doctrine would prohibit that, which I personally think is fair, as Communism was a major threat.

    Quote Originally Posted by windowdressing View Post
    JC ... you responded to this post: Originally Posted by Hard Truth

    I agree that we handled our occupation of Japan and Germany well, probably because we learned lessons from how we treated Germany after WWI. (also both countries were finally ready to be compliant after having been bombed into full submission) However, almost every other place we intervened we did more damage than good.


    Anyway, I don't think this is a good way to talk about it. We don't know how it would've turned out. But let's take Guatemala in 1954, when we removed from power a democratically-elected President (Arbenz) and put in his place a military dictator and other dictators followed who killed 10s of thousands of people, mainly poor peasants for decades. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't matter if Guatemala would've turned out worse (however you measure that) had we allowed the people of Guatemala to choose their President - What we did was wrong, disgusting, shameful, criminal ... we had no right to do that, and we did it much too often ... and we wonder why we're not universally loved ...

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •