View Poll Results: The War on Atheism!

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes there a war atheism

    11 25.58%
  • No there is no war on atheism

    32 74.42%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 95

Thread: Th War On War On Atheism

  1. #81
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    DC...you have trouble making sense of a lot of posters.

    the notion that people make common logical mistakes when forming an argument is hardly anything new. In fact, that is why we have a well recognized system of logical fallacies

  2. #82
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,565

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    the notion that people make common logical mistakes when forming an argument is hardly anything new. In fact, that is why we have a well recognized system of logical fallacies
    No **** Sherlock!

    Most things I post make perfect sense to me. Sorry that you're all boggled down in fallacy theories.

  3. #83
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    the notion that people make common logical mistakes when forming an argument is hardly anything new. In fact, that is why we have a well recognized system of logical fallacies
    of course the trick is to recognize the flaws in your own thinking.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  4. #84
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    No **** Sherlock!
    Well, you just raised the notion that I finding logical inconsistencies in a number of people arguments would dictate the issue is on my end. I'm pointing on "no", it does no such thing ...


    Most things I post make perfect sense to me.
    Again, logical fallacies often do. That is why people often make such arguments, like appealing to popularity.


    Sorry that you're all boggled down in fallacy theories.
    I'm cool. No worries

  5. #85
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    of course the trick is to recognize the flaws in your own thinking.
    well, it would help your above vague attack if you actually addressed them by pointing them out ...

  6. #86
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,565

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Well, you just raised the notion that I finding logical inconsistencies in a number of people arguments would dictate the issue is on my end. I'm pointing on "no", it does no such thing ...




    Again, logical fallacies often do. That is why people often make such arguments, like appealing to popularity.




    I'm cool. No worries
    My dear friend, DC...and some people like to make arguments appealing to fallacy. These wild diverse means of making arguments make the world go round.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    well, it would help your above vague attack if you actually addressed them by pointing them out ...
    Actually, not an attack. it was the universal you. I gave a smilie face hoping you'd know that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #88
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nevada
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,838

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Perhaps it should have been clearly confirmed at the outset if the poll referred strictly to atheism itself without the additional baggage that some atheists flaunt/carry about that others occasionally disdain.

  9. #89
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Atheism/theism and agnosticism/gnosticism deal with two entirely different things. The first deals with belief, the second deals with knowledge. Unless you actively believe in the existence of a god, you are an atheist, regardless of your position on the availability of knowledge on such things. Theism is a positive belief. If you cannot say that you actively believe in a god, then you are an atheist, which is just a rejection of theism. That includes if you say you don't know or don't care if gods exist. No belief = atheism.
    I believe in a God/higher power, but accept that I could be wrong. Either way, I'm good. The only problem I have is the same one every other person on this planet faces, and that is if there is one religion that is right and if you don't believe in it, then you go to a negative afterlife with no chance of change, but that is basically a gamble anyway so I'm not worried about it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #90
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    As others have said, there really isn't any war on any philosophical or religious viewpoints here in the US. There is however prejudice against some of these, including in many places, atheists. But there is also some for various religions as well, which ones would be dependent on where exactly you are in the US.

    Now, there are definitely many Muslim/SE Asian countries that are conducting a "war on atheism" but it really isn't that new, just something we know about now because of how globally connected we all are. In Bahrain, along with many ME countries, it is illegal to not have a religion (in most it has to be a recognized religion). You can be arrested and put in prison for years (some countries it is a life imprisonment or death penalty) for being an atheist.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •