View Poll Results: The War on Atheism!

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes there a war atheism

    11 25.58%
  • No there is no war on atheism

    32 74.42%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 95

Thread: Th War On War On Atheism

  1. #51
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Agnostics are, almost without exception, atheists, most of them are just afraid to admit it.
    Depends. Personally I tend to identify as a philosophical agnostic and a de facto atheist. This means that I recognize the logical fact that we cannot prove a negative (that god does not exist/cannot exist), but similarly since there's no earthly reason to believe god does exist, as a practical matter I tend to think and behave under the premise that god doesn't exist.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    Depends. Personally I tend to identify as a philosophical agnostic and a de facto atheist. This means that I recognize the logical fact that we cannot prove a negative (that god does not exist/cannot exist), but similarly since there's no earthly reason to believe god does exist, as a practical matter I tend to think and behave under the premise that god doesn't exist.
    Atheism/theism and agnosticism/gnosticism deal with two entirely different things. The first deals with belief, the second deals with knowledge. Unless you actively believe in the existence of a god, you are an atheist, regardless of your position on the availability of knowledge on such things. Theism is a positive belief. If you cannot say that you actively believe in a god, then you are an atheist, which is just a rejection of theism. That includes if you say you don't know or don't care if gods exist. No belief = atheism.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #53
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Atheism/theism and agnosticism/gnosticism deal with two entirely different things. The first deals with belief, the second deals with knowledge. Unless you actively believe in the existence of a god, you are an atheist, regardless of your position on the availability of knowledge on such things. Theism is a positive belief. If you cannot say that you actively believe in a god, then you are an atheist, which is just a rejection of theism. That includes if you say you don't know or don't care if gods exist. No belief = atheism.
    I understand where you're coming from, but that's not the only way those terms get used.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,793

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but that's not the only way those terms get used.
    It's the only proper way though. Words mean things for a reason.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #55
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Aderleth View Post
    I understand where you're coming from, but that's not the only way those terms get used.
    Yes, but it's the proper definitions. Gnostic theist, agnostic theist, agnostic atheist, gnostic atheist.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  6. #56
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Lol iron maiden was just playing at the I'm sitting at right now. 666 the number of the beast!!!!
    Where do you think my username comes from?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  7. #57
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Wadda ya say yay or ney
    No war, just some loud talking heads with nothing better to do than bitch about others who don't think like them.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  8. #58
    Educator AreteCourage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Last Seen
    08-30-13 @ 12:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    790

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    I am not religious....I do not believe in any higher beings whatsoever...I've been labeled an Atheist. Atheism is the lack of religion. It is hard to have a war against NOT believing in something.

    There is a stigma certainly, but it is what it is. War? Yeah I don't buy into wars against intangible things
    Libertarian and Atheist...wow I'm a hated man.

  9. #59
    Guru
    Cyrylek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Last Seen
    02-05-17 @ 01:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,467

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal View Post
    Well...you are in Seattle.

    I would imagine that for feelings of anti-atheism to be felt on a more personal level one would have to live in the Bible Belt.
    Fair enough. I am in Seattle, and before that I've spent some 25 years in Massachusetts/New Hampshire.
    (Though I had lived in Baton Rouge, LA, for six months, and nobody seemed to be bothered with my atheism there either).

    But perhaps we are talking about different "levels" here.

    I am an immigrant - a Pole who grew up in Russia; nobody is expecting confessional or parochial loyalties from me. I work hard, I "contribute", I don't litter - I am OK, "accepted".

    In a family of devout Southern Baptists, it would not be that simple, would it? Your parents try to convey to you what they hold as their most precious possession - and you tell them that it is entirely meaningless.

    Well, it should be a beginning of a long, patient conversation - not a declaration of war.
    Last edited by Cyrylek; 06-11-13 at 10:19 PM.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    07-08-14 @ 06:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,325

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Wadda ya say yay or ney
    Nay. Atheists are at war with Christians, though.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •