View Poll Results: The War on Atheism!

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes there a war atheism

    11 25.58%
  • No there is no war on atheism

    32 74.42%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 95

Thread: Th War On War On Atheism

  1. #21
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:17 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,630

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    I'm an atheist, but even I can see that religion is under attack. I don't approve, but there aren't enough people fighting religion for their movement to have a serious impact.
    I don't think religion is under attack. I think there are just alot more non-religious people. They are not atheists, they just don't belong to a religion.
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  2. #22
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,267

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    War on atheism? That's no fun. You can't blow up a school of thought. Let's have a war on atheists like the war on wimmens, Christians - you know, real people as the target. We can let the IRS lead the way.

  3. #23
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,565

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Wadda ya say yay or ney
    I think after century after century of religious domination...I think that it's laughable that religions and their followers are intimidated by atheists. Just because atheists are standing up and saying that religion and government don't mix...isn't reason to get all upset. The reality is: government and religion don't mix.

    I'm a native Texan. Texas is a strong bible belt state. I'm atheist. Have been openly so since about 13. I've experienced decades of condemnation by people of religion. I was beaten as a kid for not participating in church. I really caught hell from friends and family as I grew up to the point that some family wouldn't talk to me and I lost friends over it. Now, when I was a kid, it wasn't all the common that people, particularly where I lived, talked about being atheist or atheism in general so I was a bit ahead of my time.

    When I told my family I didn't believe in god...I might as well as said that I was a Gay Jap-Talian-Negro. Even today in Texas...although its better because Texas has a lot of people from other states, it's still a sore subject for quite a few.

    Thank god my wife is an atheist, too. ...no pun intended. Well, maybe a little bit of a pun is in that comment. Let's just say...no disrespect intended.

  4. #24
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by mpg View Post
    I'm an atheist, but even I can see that religion is under attack. I don't approve, but there aren't enough people fighting religion for their movement to have a serious impact.
    "Under attack" really just means that religion is facing serious criticism for the first time. It was used accustomed to silencing critics with violence, torture, or murder that having to actually respond to criticism is still a new idea to much of the world's religions. The big difference now is that detractors of religion are no longer forced into silence.

    But not everywhere. There are still lots of places in the world where atheism or any kind of criticism or rejection of the majority religion is met with violence. Historically, this was the norm everywhere and one could certainly say that there was a war on atheism. In much of the world, for much of history, any deviation from religious orthodoxy could be met with violence. Only in a few parts of the world and only recently has this war diminished. But let's be honest, the term "war on _____" is an empty phrase. Let's retire it and speak more accurately. Religion, in many parts of the world and for most of history, has exterminated atheists. It still happens today in many places.

    So no, there is no "under attack". There is simply the open and honest search for the truth. Religion, for the first time, has to play by the same rules and have a fair fight with atheism. And that, of course, is why it is losing.

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    A war on Athiesm? No, they are the ones who are declaring war on God by trying to convince the world He doesn't exist.
    Pursuit of truth is a war to you? What a stressful life you must lead. Most of the world already doesn't believe in your god. It has always been this way. The truth will win out.
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  5. #25
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    "Under attack" really just means that religion is facing serious criticism for the first time. It was used accustomed to silencing critics with violence, torture, or murder that having to actually respond to criticism is still a new idea to much of the world's religions. The big difference now is that detractors of religion are no longer forced into silence.

    But not everywhere. There are still lots of places in the world where atheism or any kind of criticism or rejection of the majority religion is met with violence. Historically, this was the norm everywhere and one could certainly say that there was a war on atheism. In much of the world, for much of history, any deviation from religious orthodoxy could be met with violence. Only in a few parts of the world and only recently has this war diminished. But let's be honest, the term "war on _____" is an empty phrase. Let's retire it and speak more accurately. Religion, in many parts of the world and for most of history, has exterminated atheists. It still happens today in many places.

    So no, there is no "under attack". There is simply the open and honest search for the truth. Religion, for the first time, has to play by the same rules and have a fair fight with atheism. And that, of course, is why it is losing.



    Pursuit of truth is a war to you? What a stressful life you must lead. Most of the world already doesn't believe in your god. It has always been this way. The truth will win out.
    Exactly, when Christ returns and destorys the world. You are correct, the truth will win out.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  6. #26
    Guru
    Aderleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    04-08-16 @ 06:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,294

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Wadda ya say yay or ney
    Not a war, exactly. As atheism has become more common, there does seem to be a push to characterize it as a religion.

  7. #27
    Uncanny
    Paschendale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    New York City
    Last Seen
    03-31-16 @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    12,510

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Exactly, when Christ returns and destorys the world. You are correct, the truth will win out.
    See, if that happened, I would admit that I was wrong. Of course, I wouldn't see much reason to think that he was a good guy, since he's killing a lot of innocent people for nothing more than not obeying him. That makes him sound a lot more like a conqueror than a savior, more like Genghis Khan than Gandhi. Actually, and I'm gonna go there, it makes him a worse menace than Hitler was. Yes, I just Godwin'd Jesus. I'm not really sure how one could describe the role that the supposed protagonists of the story of Revelations as moral.

    Now, since I'm willing to be swayed by evidence, are you? When we prove over and over that biblical claims are wrong, do you admit that you were wrong?
    Liberté. Égalité. Fraternité.

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Isn't there like a real war to worry about? Like the war to regain the 4th amendments rights to privacy? You know, the one Obama just trashed a few days ago.

  9. #29
    Sage davidtaylorjr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    10-18-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    6,775

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    See, if that happened, I would admit that I was wrong. Of course, I wouldn't see much reason to think that he was a good guy, since he's killing a lot of innocent people for nothing more than not obeying him. That makes him sound a lot more like a conqueror than a savior, more like Genghis Khan than Gandhi. Actually, and I'm gonna go there, it makes him a worse menace than Hitler was. Yes, I just Godwin'd Jesus. I'm not really sure how one could describe the role that the supposed protagonists of the story of Revelations as moral.

    Now, since I'm willing to be swayed by evidence, are you? When we prove over and over that biblical claims are wrong, do you admit that you were wrong?
    Seeing how nobody has proven the Biblical claims wrong yet...
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

    Ronald Reagan

  10. #30
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    Re: Th War On War On Atheism

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtaylorjr View Post
    Seeing how nobody has proven the Biblical claims wrong yet...
    Which claims?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •