View Poll Results: Jail or a Parade

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jail

    18 21.43%
  • Parade

    40 47.62%
  • No extradition - let him live elsewhere

    9 10.71%
  • I'm sitting on fence at the moment

    13 15.48%
  • other - please explain

    4 4.76%
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 128

Thread: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

  1. #61
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    That's actually what Obama said. Spoiler Alert: He was elected.
    He made no other promises? He's kept them all? Transparency? Fact Alert: Nope.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    10-24-13 @ 02:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    913

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    So what if Snowden was more selective? They both made public top secret information, and, as employees of the state, had an oath of confidentiality, no?
    I think there's a pretty big difference between the two.

    Manning had a gripe against the U.S. government and started leaking information he knew nothing about mostly to hurt it whereas Snowden identified an immoral practice being done by the U.S. government and told the world.

  3. #63
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:31 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,803

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    It's far too early to know the full story. Do you trust your government? When it the last time you remember government extending your rights or returning your freedom? It doesn't happen often, if ever. Either you fear your government or your government fears you. Which is it?

    That being said, why the hell would Snowden fly to Hong Kong to drop the dime? China must surely be slobbering over the opportunity to get their hands on Snowden's knowledge. If Snowden gave all this a great deal of thought why run to China's doorstep? Iceland might have been a better choice for him, but that isn't where Snowden chose to go.

    There is so much more to this than we know. Is Snowdon above reproach? Is he being impeccably honest? Is the federal government above reproach? Is the federal government impeccably honest?










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  4. #64
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    NSA leaker holed up in Hong Kong hotel, running low on cash - CNN.com <-- clicky




    So, is he a hero, or traitor?

    Would you put him in jail? Or throw him a parade?
    If found guilty, he needs to serve his time. What he did was a very serious crime, and his actions make it impossible to trust that he'll keep other information he has disclosed.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #65
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,457
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Or, because he started receiving daily briefings showing how horrible the world really is, he changed his notion of what needed to be done to protect the homeland?
    Or no matter the party or the President's opinions, promises and beliefs, they will more or less be forced to conform to the even more powerful.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #66
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:04 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,547

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    If found guilty, he needs to serve his time. What he did was a very serious crime, and his actions make it impossible to trust that he'll keep other information he has disclosed.
    Is his crime more serious than the crime he exposed?

  7. #67
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,457
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Andy View Post
    I think there's a pretty big difference between the two.

    Manning had a gripe against the U.S. government and started leaking information he knew nothing about mostly to hurt it whereas Snowden identified an immoral practice being done by the U.S. government and told the world.
    Both gripes have to do with injustices done by the US government, no? For Manning it was the information he had on the killing of those journalists in Iraq, I believe.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Snowden didn't act as a patriot, he skeedadled to Hong Kong instead of facing up to what he did. Hell, I don't think his intentions were as an enemy of the U.S. either. He wanted to get famous and live the good life. Like Manning, I don't think he really understood what he was getting in to. I wish him luck.
    You don't need to accept your punishment in order to be a patriot. I seriously advise you take a moment and consider exactly what a patriot is and seriously consider how silly it is to claim that if we are to be a patriot we must in turn give up our freedom. I would think someone like yourself would understand what a patriot actually fights for and why your statement is absurd on its face.

  9. #69
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Is his crime more serious than the crime he exposed?
    Unfortunately for Snowden, that is entirely irrelevant, and for his own safety, he should expedite himself for trial.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  10. #70
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckBerry View Post
    Snowden is the equivalent of Dennis Rodman, looking for a well-heeled donor to give him a life of ease as a symbol of resistance to American hegemony.

    Snowden didn't act as a patriot, he skeedadled to Hong Kong instead of facing up to what he did. Hell, I don't think his intentions were as an enemy of the U.S. either. He wanted to get famous and live the good life. Like Manning, I don't think he really understood what he was getting in to. I wish him luck.
    I thoroughly disagree with this.

    The good life? Really? Country hopping? Always looking over your shoulder? Forgoing a $200K/yr job? I question you definition of the good life.

    Because of Manning, and how he has been squirreled away and is now basically invisible and certainly mute, I think he knows exactly what he is doing. Skipping out to another country is what allows him (for the time being) to tell his side.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •