View Poll Results: Jail or a Parade

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jail

    18 21.43%
  • Parade

    40 47.62%
  • No extradition - let him live elsewhere

    9 10.71%
  • I'm sitting on fence at the moment

    13 15.48%
  • other - please explain

    4 4.76%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 128

Thread: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

  1. #41
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,453
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Andalublue View Post
    I look at it that if your bosses are behaving unethically and/or immorally your responsibility to your employers i.e. the general public, overrules any oath of confidentiality or official secrets laws.
    I get that. But what I'm not getting is why this is considered new news. It's been common knowledge for some time now that domestic spying is alive and well in the US.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  2. #42
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:46 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,407

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    NSA leaker holed up in Hong Kong hotel, running low on cash - CNN.com <-- clicky

    So, is he a hero, or traitor?

    Would you put him in jail? Or throw him a parade?
    While I'm openly and heavily leaning toward the 'parade' point-of-view, but feel the need to reserve final judgement until more information comes out. I think it's premature to make a final conclusion just yet.

    Hence, I voted 'fence sitting'.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #43
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:22 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,518

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Incorrect - the divulgance of classified material is and remains a criminal act, regardless of what you think of the legality of the collection platform or activity divulged. The one has precisely zero bearing on the legality of the other.
    The question is: Can you forgive the "crime" based on what the crime has potentially exposed?

    If I have to break the speed limit in order to prevent a child from getting run over by a train, would you suggest a speeding ticket HAVE to be issued?

  4. #44
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    I get that. But what I'm not getting is why this is considered new news. It's been common knowledge for some time now that domestic spying is alive and well in the US.
    You're being intentionally obtuse. It's considered "new news" because before several days ago the public did not know about these specific programs and their scope.

  5. #45
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,453
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    You're being intentionally obtuse. It's considered "new news" because before several days ago the public did not know about these specific programs and their scope.
    So what value (over what was previously known) does this new found knowledge about specific spying programs add?
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    So what value (over what was previously known) does this new found knowledge about specific spying programs add?
    Hard knowledge is always better than speculation - it's always better to know exactly what the government is doing than to just have some vague idea. Moreover, there is now solid information that can be used to challenge the constitutionality of such surveillance and the laws that allow it in court.

  7. #47
    Tavern Bartender
    Pussy Grabbin' Beaver
    Middleground's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada's Capital
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    22,453
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Hard knowledge is always better than speculation - it's always better to know exactly what the government is doing than to just have some vague idea. Moreover, there is now solid information that can be used to challenge the constitutionality of such surveillance and the laws that allow it in court.
    Thanks.

    I just found this article:

    Speaking with Fox News Sunday anchor Chris Wallace about what President Obama has done with surveillance programs inherited from the Bush administration, Michael Hayden, former director of both the NSA and CIA answered:

    In terms of surveillance? Expanded [the programs] in volume, changed the legal grounding for them a little bit. [...]

    Weve gotten more of these records over time. With the amendment to the FISA Act, in 2008, which Senator Obama finally voted for, NSA is actually empowered to do more things than I was empowered to do under President Bushs special authorization.
    Bush-Era Spying 'Made Legal' Under Obama | Common Dreams

    I can't say I find it hardly surprising. Give a government an inch and they'll take a mile.
    No men are anywhere, and Im allowed to go in, because Im the owner of the pageant and therefore Im inspecting it, Trump said... Is everyone OK? You know, theyre standing there with no clothes. Is everybody OK? And you see these incredible looking women, and so I sort of get away with things like that.

  8. #48
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Middleground View Post
    Thanks.

    I just found this article:

    Bush-Era Spying 'Made Legal' Under Obama | Common Dreams

    I can't say I find it hardly surprising. Give a government an inch and they'll take a mile.
    It's a shame, especially for Obama. He had a chance to be much more than he's turned out to be. He really squandered an opportunity.

  9. #49
    Guru
    ChuckBerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Last Seen
    10-28-13 @ 01:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,491

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    It's a shame, especially for Obama. He had a chance to be much more than he's turned out to be. He really squandered an opportunity.
    Or, because he started receiving daily briefings showing how horrible the world really is, he changed his notion of what needed to be done to protect the homeland?
    The morality of abortion is not a religious belief, any more than the morality of slavery, apartheid, rape, larceny, murder or arson is a religious belief. These are norms of the natural law of mankind and can be legislated even in a completely religionless society.

  10. #50
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    I think Obama did what all candidates do when running for office, say what people want to hear to get elected, then do what it takes in their estimation to effectively run the gov in the real world. I'm not saying they always make the right decisions when they get in but when they promise the moon and the stars who's being naive?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •