View Poll Results: Jail or a Parade

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jail

    18 21.43%
  • Parade

    40 47.62%
  • No extradition - let him live elsewhere

    9 10.71%
  • I'm sitting on fence at the moment

    13 15.48%
  • other - please explain

    4 4.76%
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 128

Thread: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-19-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    891

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is not what I said. But he broke the law. I happen to believe that the Rule of Law is important.
    Revealing classified information about an illegal program is a criminal act?

  2. #22
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    NSA leaker holed up in Hong Kong hotel, running low on cash - CNN.com <-- clicky

    So, is he a hero, or traitor?

    Would you put him in jail? Or throw him a parade?
    I'm grateful to him, but I'm not sure whether to call him a hero yet. I don't know enough to judge his character yet.

  3. #23
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Not if the classified act was itself illegal.
    That is incorrect - it is not Snowden's purview to seek to overturn the combined judgement of the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches as to what is and is not legal under the Constitution.

    So if Obama ordered the Delta Force to assassinate 30 elementary school kids in Pakistan becasue they sent him hate mail, and then decided to classify it, and then someone leaked it, would that person be breaking the law?
    Yup.

  4. #24
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by solletica View Post
    Sorry, he didn't break the law because the classified material that he revealed was directly related to illegal activity. That's being a rat, not a criminal.
    Incorrect - the divulgance of classified material is and remains a criminal act, regardless of what you think of the legality of the collection platform or activity divulged. The one has precisely zero bearing on the legality of the other.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-19-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    891

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Incorrect - the divulgance of classified material is and remains a criminal act, regardless of what you think of the legality of the collection platform or activity divulged. The one has precisely zero bearing on the legality of the other.
    Assassinating Hitler would have also been an illegal act.

  6. #26
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,251

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Early on I wasn't sure what to think about this whole affair ... but the more I read the more uncomfortable with PRISM and all the prism-ish programs out there.
    Government claims turned out were very possibly not true.
    Like ...
    • Terrorist plots wre foiled because of it ... looks like that was false.
    • Congress was apprised of everything ... uh uh.
    • The data could never be misused ... oh please ... e.g. IRS.
    • Obama only did what W Bush did and what Congress intended over a decade ago.

  7. #27
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,076

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanstantine View Post
    Assassinating Hitler would have also been an illegal act.
    Violation of the Executive Order against Assassination - Illegal for members of the Executive Branch without Presidential approval.

  8. #28
    Sage

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Last Seen
    10-10-16 @ 10:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is incorrect - it is not Snowden's purview to seek to overturn the combined judgement of the Executive, Legislative, and Judicial branches as to what is and is not legal under the Constitution.



    Yup.
    And a jury would agree with that reasoning?

  9. #29
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,258

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by bubbabgone View Post
    Early on I wasn't sure what to think about this whole affair ... but the more I read the more uncomfortable with PRISM and all the prism-ish programs out there.
    Government claims turned out were very possibly not true.
    Like ...
    • Terrorist plots wre foiled because of it ... looks like that was false.
    • Congress was apprised of everything ... uh uh.
    • The data could never be misused ... oh please ... e.g. IRS.
    • Obama only did what W Bush did and what Congress intended over a decade ago.
    The pattern of abuse is unmistakable. The data mining appears to be legal, i.e., it's legal until it is declared illegal. I do wonder if it would cease should it be declared illegal. I also wonder if Congress is up to the task of answering the public on the issue. Lindsay the Grahamcracker and a handful of GOP bullwonkers seem to think it's just fine. What a bunch of morooons.

  10. #30
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,258

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanstantine View Post
    Assassinating Hitler would have also been an illegal act.
    Who would've prosecuted the assassin?

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •