View Poll Results: Jail or a Parade

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jail

    18 21.43%
  • Parade

    40 47.62%
  • No extradition - let him live elsewhere

    9 10.71%
  • I'm sitting on fence at the moment

    13 15.48%
  • other - please explain

    4 4.76%
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 128

Thread: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

  1. #91
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Tell me something - whose duty is it to "rat out" our own governments illegal activities?
    The Press, it's why they have special protections written into the Constitution.

  2. #92
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanstantine View Post
    Why are you ok with your government spying on you?

    No one wants to be spied but in this day and age some things are necessary.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  3. #93
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    No one wants to be spied but in this day and age some things are necessary.

    No. Spying on American citizens is unconstitutional and wrong.

  4. #94
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    “The Fourth Amendment is clear; we should be secure in our persons, houses, papers, and effects, and all warrants must have probable cause. Today the government operates largely in secret, while seeking to know everything about our private lives – without probable cause and without a warrant.

    “The government does not need to know more about what we are doing. We need to know more about what the government is doing.

    We should be thankful for individuals like Edward Snowden and Glenn Greenwald who see injustice being carried out by their own government and speak out, despite the risk. They have done a great service to the American people by exposing the truth about what our government is doing in secret.”

    Ron Paul: We need to know more about what the government is doing - Campaign for Liberty
    Yes, we do need transparency in government, the promise of it was why I voted for Obama the first time (yeah, yeah, I know ). However, I expect more from Dr. Paul where it comes to American history. He should know that the Fourth was never constructed to protect external communications. The US Mail is not protected by Constitution, at least the founders didn't believe so. In fact, that's how we caught Benedict Arnold - agents of the proto-government intercepted and read his mail. Quite a lot of that was done in the beginning years of our nation.
    Last edited by clownboy; 06-10-13 at 10:24 PM.

  5. #95
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by zstep18 View Post
    No. Spying on American citizens is unconstitutional and wrong.
    Actually no, there is no constitutional provision protecting Americans from being spied upon. The government can watch you 24/7/365 and not run afoul of the Constitution. Again, why we need a privacy amendment.

  6. #96
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,107

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanstantine View Post
    Why are you ok with your government spying on you?
    1. Because I individually agreed to allow them to do so

    2. More broadly as a citizen, because I'm not sure that it is. The CIA isn't listening in to everyone's calls. If you say "Blackbriar" plus "Jason Bourne", that isn't going to translate into a real-time analyst marking you down for assassination (though if you say code words used by terrorists in the patterns that suggest you are planning an attack then your call may get flagged to get actually spied upon).



    I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with these programs. The vulnerability to abuse seems immense. But neither do I find the broad reaction to be particularly well-informed or based on accurate depiction of the programs themselves.

  7. #97
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    It is. When you destroy the ability to collect against enemy networks, you hinder our ability to impede their actions, making their targeting efforts more effective.
    Well, isn't that unfortunate. My ability to care is seriously lacking..

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    06-19-13 @ 10:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    891

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    1. Because I individually agreed to allow them to do so

    2. More broadly as a citizen, because I'm not sure that it is. The CIA isn't listening in to everyone's calls. If you say "Blackbriar" plus "Jason Bourne", that isn't going to translate into a real-time analyst marking you down for assassination (though if you say code words used by terrorists in the patterns that suggest you are planning an attack then your call may get flagged to get actually spied upon).

    I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with these programs. The vulnerability to abuse seems immense. But neither do I find the broad reaction to be particularly well-informed or based on accurate depiction of the programs themselves.
    You gave permission to the NSA to spy on your international cellphone calls?

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kanstantine View Post
    You gave permission to the NSA to spy on your international cellphone calls?
    He wants to use the "it's for security" argument. How is that argument still able to get traction? I really don't get how that is possible.

  10. #100
    Professor
    zstep18's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Somewhere
    Last Seen
    02-24-14 @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,770

    Re: Edward Snowden - Jail, or a Parade?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Actually no, there is no constitutional provision protecting Americans from being spied upon. The government can watch you 24/7/365 and not run afoul of the Constitution. Again, why we need a privacy amendment.
    It violates the the Fourth Amendment and Supreme Court precedent. It's an "unreasonable" search and seizure. The Court has ruled that monitoring a private conversation constitutes a search, and therefore, requires a warrant. So, warrantless surveillance of millions of American citizens is unconstitutional.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •