View Poll Results: Gay baby

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    51 45.95%
  • No

    60 54.05%
Page 21 of 65 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 210 of 647

Thread: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

  1. #201
    Educator
    CoffeeSaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wherever there is caffeine, I'll be there.
    Last Seen
    07-01-07 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    So this gene causes babies to go on a wild gay hump-fest? I doubt it. You can be "oriented" toward homosexuality without ACTING on it. You CANNOT be oriented toward Tay-Sachs and not have it manifest in your life. You could be a carrier, I guess, but...I don't think that's what CC was talking about. GAYNESS isn't a disease, anyway.
    Oh, I don't think the premise is realistic; but I learned not to question the givens in the Senator Tom Johnson poll.

  2. #202
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    10-26-10 @ 06:34 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,978

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    That doesn't suprise me...I'm getting a pretty clear picture of your view of human nature, and it's not very complimentary.

    What sort of life is a gay person supposed to have, if they "don't act on" their sexual orientation.
    That doesn't make any sense.
    Well, I suppose it might make sense, to a Catholic.
    The gay person in question could enter the clergy and become a priest or a nun; commit to a life of celibacy.
    But we've all seen where that has resulted in tragedy.

    Surely you don't expect gay people to force themselves to enter relationships with the opposite sex, to marry and have children?
    This is a very poor idea. Then you get the Ted Haggard situation, and a lot of innocent people get hurt.

  3. #203
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeSaint View Post
    Oh, I don't think the premise is realistic; but I learned not to question the givens in the Senator Tom Johnson poll.
    I guess I didn't see actual homosexual behavior was part of the given--just the gay "gene" that predisposes one toward that behavior. --I still don't.

  4. #204
    Educator
    CoffeeSaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wherever there is caffeine, I'll be there.
    Last Seen
    07-01-07 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    I guess I didn't see actual homosexual behavior was part of the given--just the gay "gene" that predisposes one toward that behavior. --I still don't.
    I don't think actual homosexual behavior can be part of the premise; we're talking about a fetus, here. The question was whether the (assumed hypothetical) gene that predisposes one toward the behavior should be sufficient reason for a mother to abort.

  5. #205
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by 1069 View Post
    What sort of life is a gay person supposed to have, if they "don't act on" their sexual orientation.
    That doesn't make any sense.
    Well, I suppose it might make sense, to a Catholic.
    The gay person in question could enter the clergy and become a priest or a nun; commit to a life of celibacy.
    But we've all seen where that has resulted in tragedy.

    Surely you don't expect gay people to force themselves to enter relationships with the opposite sex, to marry and have children?
    This is a very poor idea. Then you get the Ted Haggard situation, and a lot of innocent people get hurt.
    I believe human beings can control their desires--even their sexual appetites. I agree that it is difficult in today's world. To me it would be like the way I deal with my raging temper...it is a predisposition to frustration and I have to be ever vigilant. Yet I'm a pretty moderate person in general, though beneath the surface at times it's a bubbling mess. Self-control. It is a good thing, really.

  6. #206
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeSaint View Post
    I don't think actual homosexual behavior can be part of the premise; we're talking about a fetus, here. The question was whether the (assumed hypothetical) gene that predisposes one toward the behavior should be sufficient reason for a mother to abort.
    And again--if she can imagine that the gene would influence BEHAVIOR choice(something only a PERSON can manifest)--she has granted personhood to her fetus.

  7. #207
    Educator
    CoffeeSaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wherever there is caffeine, I'll be there.
    Last Seen
    07-01-07 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    And again--if she can imagine that the gene would influence BEHAVIOR choice(something only a PERSON can manifest)--she has granted personhood to her fetus.
    OOOOhhh, The wheels on the bus go round and round,
    Round and round,
    Round and round!
    The wheels on the bus go round and round,
    All through the town!

  8. #208
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-06-09 @ 03:03 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    11,946

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeSaint View Post
    OOOOhhh, The wheels on the bus go round and round,
    Round and round,
    Round and round!
    The wheels on the bus go round and round,
    All through the town!
    Yeah...on your argument...didn't I say that way back..

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/452768-post181.html

  9. #209
    Educator
    CoffeeSaint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Wherever there is caffeine, I'll be there.
    Last Seen
    07-01-07 @ 09:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    1,088

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Yeah...on your argument...didn't I say that way back..

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/452768-post181.html
    For criminy's sake, it was a joke, not an insult. Have a nice day.

  10. #210
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Is it OK to abort a gay baby?

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Try this Jerry.

    In the unlikely event that my wife becomes pregnant by me again, and she chooses to keep it against my will, she will have forced that life, the life of raising a 3rd child, upon me.

    It would be my will to force her to abort that child. Pro-Life would bar me from doing so.

    To bar me from forcing my beliefs on another is to force that belief of yours onto me, which by your own logic you have no right to do.

    PL actively enables mothers to dictate to others how they will live, which PL says no person has a right to do.

    Makes sense. This is the problem with most abortion debates and why my own position on it fluctuates.
    Unlike CoffieSaint style Pro-Choice, Pro-Life accepts the notion that it is acceptable to force one's will upon another in qualified circumstances, so there is no hypocrisy in your analogy on PL's part.

    In PLís eyes, if the mother wishes to force the father to have a child against his will, she is just in doing so.

    Also, PL Christians would argue that you, in that situation, are obligated to set aside your own wishes to abort, and take care this new child; to act and to treat it as though you deeply love and care for it, even if you really don't, because you are in the wrong for not wanting it.

    The equivalent to that from PC would be PC Atheists/Humanists arguing that you, in that situation, are obligated to embrace your own wishes and abort this new child; to act and to treat it as though you despise its existence, even if you really didn't, because you are in the right for not wanting it.

    But of coarse that is not a PC view, and so this stands as an illustration of the difference, which is not simply an opposite, in the premises and logical paths between PL and PC.

Page 21 of 65 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •